EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Jun 2020, 07:17 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Re-creating some Hey’s features in FastMail

Nuno Donato wrote a short guide on bringing some of Hey’s features into Fastmail.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jun 2020, 08:29 AM   #2
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

They are some neat ideas for improving workflow.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2020, 04:33 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I wonder if Donato was the OP of the "Inspired by Hey" thread where he said he planed to document how to implement some of Hey's features in FM using FM's "less used advanced customizations" (I was quoting the OP asking what those were) and then deleting his post which caused all the confusion there?

Last edited by xyzzy : 29 Jun 2020 at 04:42 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2020, 06:48 PM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

As I have written previously, having to do all that organizing in the first place is a waste of time and productivity, and I also believe it is an indication of a poor search engine. In Gmail let search do all the work only when work needs to be done.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2020, 06:48 AM   #5
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
As I have written previously, having to do all that organizing in the first place is a waste of time and productivity, and I also believe it is an indication of a poor search engine. In Gmail let search do all the work only when work needs to be done.
As I understand it, what Hey does is mostly about what stays out of the inbox (or imbox as Hey calls it) rather than organization. It's not very different to what gmail supports, but it's more transparent.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2020, 06:59 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Hey does is mostly about what stays out of the inbox (or imbox as Hey calls it) rather than organization.
Read some of the reviews. People describe a long process of answering questions about incoming email and then finding exactly what I expected--many emails still end up in the wrong places. For example, just the other day I received an email from the library using the same address they use for everything. Normally, they are routine communications like your book is due soon, but sometimes they might be something like the book I ordered has arrived, or the library will be closed for something. Another organization sends me various types of newsletters. Sometimes I want to read them, most of the time I don't, and some of them are more interesting than others. Won't be the same response every time. Other businesses I deal with seem to use a vast multitude of addresses for various things. It would be painful to sort them, so instead I glance at them and either delete, ignore, unsubscribe, or star. That's what I do with all emails. You just can't decide ahead of time whether or not something is going to be one thing or another. If you really don't want something from someone just unsubscribe or block, like you can with most email apps. I choose not to let Gmail sort my email into categories, because they are wrong as much as they are right. Just wastes time.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2020, 08:28 AM   #7
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
... You just can't decide ahead of time whether or not something is going to be one thing or another. If you really don't want something from someone just unsubscribe or block, like you can with most email apps. ....
"Different strokes" I guess - or as they say YMMV.
I've used filtering to send my subscribed emails to a single "Subscription" folder for many years now. It's worked well for me, decluttering my inbox so that 90% of the time, my inbox has only emails that I need to respond to.

The frequency that I go to my subscribed emails folder is at most once per day. Sometimes it's a few days before I go there. I often then sort by sender and will bulk delete without even reading some - eg if they are from my local electronics store or car accessories store. I still want to receive their emails, but I choose to not read a lot of them. Same as sometimes you want to browse a glossy sales brochure, & sometimes you just bin it without even opening it.

So doing some sorting of incoming mail has certainly worked well for me.
It's a personal thing. It may or may not work well for you.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote