EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 12 May 2019, 12:44 AM   #1
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Instagram oddities

Is it normal that a photo on my mobile duplicates when I post it on Instagram?

Upon logging in to Instagram on my phone, I select the icon to add a picture, then select the picture from my photo album that I want to upload. When checking my photo album afterwards, the photo is in it twice: once with the original time and date the picture was made, and once with the time and date of the moment it was published on Instagram.

Also, in the margins of that issue: when I swipe right the button to also publish the picture and story on FB, the FB app on my phone opens and upon logging in I get the question whether I want to allow Instagram connecting with my Facebook. I give permission for that, but then I get a small popup saying Instagram has stopped. This means that I have to return to the Instagram app, re-choose the picture to upload + type the "story", and usually it publishes (on Instagram and FB if I select that option) upon that second attempt. Why it doesn't work at first attempt is a mystery to me.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 May 2019, 08:41 PM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

As to the first question I am guessing you have your phone set to save your Instagram photos to your phone like this: https://help.instagram.com/462167363826150
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 04:07 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
As to the first question I am guessing you have your phone set to save your Instagram photos to your phone like this: https://help.instagram.com/462167363826150
Interesting. Thanks for the link. I can definitely say though I didn't set my phone to anything when it comes to Instagram, I installed the app and started experimenting but I never deliberately chose to save or not save pictures a second time on my mobile. If this is the cause, then it must be a setting that was default after installing the app.

It would make sense if you could make pics directly through Instagram, in that case it'd make sense to also have them saved in your mobile's photo album. But I don't know if you can make pics directly through the app. So far I photographed first, then signed in to Instagram and selected to upload the picture from the photo album (upon which the pic is saved in the album a second time)
Old 19 Jul 2019, 08:06 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Can a post on Instagram be edited, or can it only be left untouched or be deleted alltogether?
Old 20 Jul 2019, 01:35 AM   #5
TenFour
Master of the @

You can edit Instagram posts--at least the text part.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2019, 08:58 PM   #6
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Can't help much here. I have an Instagram account, but have never posted to it. Just view the people I follow post and not very many at that, just a few friends who post pictures.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2019, 05:00 AM   #7
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
But not the pictures I assume? (which would make sense, that you have to edit your pictures prior to publishing and not after having published)

Another oddity: I tried for the first time to make a photo and video right from the app. So instead of first making the pictures and video and then selecting them to be uploaded to Instagram, I signed in to Instagram first and then selected the "+" icon to upload new content, and switched to "Photo"/"Video". I could, without any problem, make a video and picture straight from the app, and upload it to my account. However, you apparently cannot make multiple images and then combine them into 1 post this way, it seems every video of image has to be published in a separate post (whereas if you upload previously made pictures, you can select 10 per post). That's odd.

Is this correct, or did I somehow miss the right buttons to make more than 1 image straight from the app and combine them into 1 post?
Old 13 Nov 2019, 04:06 AM   #8
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Extra question: is there a way to distinguish an edited post from a post that was never edited (= an Original post), similar to the way phpBB forums have an "edited on (date and time" notification when someone edits a post?