EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Feb 2013, 12:28 AM   #1
malcarada

Question Question about hotlinking in Fasmail storage

I have an Enhanced Fastmail account and I am hotlinking some images from Fastmail storage space to an external personal blog, if I recall it correctly there is no bandwidth limit but there is some kind of maximum requests per hour or something similar that stops taking too many server resources.

If there was a bandwidth limit I could track down if I go over my allowance and the images are being served or not but the way the abuse model is structured (maximum requests per hour) I don't think I have a way of knowing if my blog visitors are able to see an image or they see a not found message instead, any ideas on how to solve this?
malcarada is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Feb 2013, 07:18 PM   #2
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
I have an Enhanced Fastmail account and I am hotlinking some images from Fastmail storage space to an external personal blog, if I recall it correctly there is no bandwidth limit but there is some kind of maximum requests per hour or something similar that stops taking too many server resources.

If there was a bandwidth limit I could track down if I go over my allowance and the images are being served or not but the way the abuse model is structured (maximum requests per hour) I don't think I have a way of knowing if my blog visitors are able to see an image or they see a not found message instead,
There is a bandwidth limit that applies daily and hourly.

Good luck trying to avoid hitting it, since there's no way of knowing how close you are to it.

Quote:
any ideas on how to solve this?
Use Amazon S3. Cheap, very easy, pay only what you use, and no bandwidth limits.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
malcarada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes View Post
There is a bandwidth limit that applies daily and hourly.
I have now found those limits thanks to your post and Bing, if anyone wants to know they were posted in Fastmail blog:

http://blog.fastmail.fm/2012/01/09/m...imits-removed/

You are right when you say it can not be calculated, if the limit was daily I could divide bandwidth in between number of visitors, but since the limit is hourly I can't predict at what time the visitors will come.

Edited

PS: I have now looked closely at the limits and it can be approximately calculated because the hourly limit is half the daily limit and it is not very likely that one half of the daily of the visitors will all come in an hour. But to do this right Fastmail should implement a graph showing up consumed bandwidth, just like the one they used to have before the changes, I will post this in the suggestions thread.

Last edited by malcarada : 25 Feb 2013 at 08:48 PM.
malcarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarada View Post
But to do this right Fastmail should implement a graph showing up consumed bandwidth, just like the one they used to have before the changes, I will post this in the suggestions thread.
This .
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote