EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:06 AM   #16
aynrandgirl

Pobox appears to have an odd policy: you have to manually ask for them to allow your DNS to point to their servers, you can't just add a domain in the web interface and point your DNS afterwards. Seems clunky and time-wasting to me.
aynrandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:11 AM   #17
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl View Post
Pobox appears to have an odd policy: you have to manually ask for them to allow your DNS to point to their servers,
Odd? You cannot just point your DNS at somewhere and expect the "pointee" to handle your domain.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:23 AM   #18
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Odd? You cannot just point your DNS at somewhere and expect the "pointee" to handle your domain.
I agree, I surely wouldn't want them to handle email without first having a paid account.

Notice I said "manually". You have to send a support ticket and wait for them to get around to your request. If I have a paid account at Pobox, setting up electronically and then changing DNS at my DNS provider should be sufficient.
Old 24 Dec 2013, 04:32 AM   #19
aynrandgirl

I was thinking the reports of Pobox unreliability were exaggerated. A couple of days in my trial and both their main and webmail sites appear to be down (as of now).
Old 24 Dec 2013, 05:10 PM   #20
EdinwolfPA
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
I was thinking the reports of Pobox unreliability were exaggerated. A couple of days in my trial and both their main and webmail sites appear to be down (as of now).
I just logged in to my Pobox account and everything seems to be up and running for now on Tuesday, December 24th about 3:00am EST.

Pobox updated the the member home screen (after you log into your account) so maybe that was the problem However, you never can tell at Pobox- as they rarely give customers any type of explanation when there are problems......Pobox just gives out account discounts when they have problems....

You also may want to keep an eye on their Twitter Page as well https://twitter.com/pobox

David

Last edited by EdinwolfPA : 24 Dec 2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added Pobox Twitter Page to post
EdinwolfPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 07:02 PM   #21
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinwolfPA View Post
Pobox updated the the member home screen (after you log into your account) so maybe that was the problem However, you never can tell at Pobox- as they rarely give customers any type of explanation when there are problems......Pobox just gives out account discounts when they have
Generally, Pobox is very responsive to support calls at pobox@pobox.com and on Twitter.
And their home screen: much, much better.

Last edited by Berenburger : 24 Dec 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 10:28 PM   #22
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Agreed: Pobox's basic forwarding account is superb (imho) Though I don't have an account now (when I did) I found that it worked superbly well with Fastmail.
I'm a pobox user since 2001 and definitely agree with what David has said.
I have a basic account which forwards my incoming emails to my email accounts.
I can't recall any problems. Their service works flawlessly for me. Not to mention pobox's spam filters which are the best I have ever seen (can't remember when was the last time I found spam in my inbox...)

Oded.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 10:53 PM   #23
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedp View Post
Not to mention pobox's spam filters which are the best I have ever seen (can't remember when was the last time I found spam in my inbox...).
Can you remember the last time when you missed a message wrongly classified as spam?
More seriously: is there any way to see and/or modify what Pobox rejects as spam?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2013, 11:28 PM   #24
odedp
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Can you remember the last time when you missed a message wrongly classified as spam?
More seriously: is there any way to see and/or modify what Pobox rejects as spam?
I rely completely on pobox's spam filters!
I get a daily report which lists all held messages. I can release any message from this list. ("Held" messages are messages which pobox isn't sure if they are spam or not)
I can also see (but not release) all bounced messages. So if I locate a message which was bounced by mistake (false negative) I can still write to the sender and ask him to resend the message.
I remember having some false negatives when Pobox started spam protection.
During the last years spam protection works flawlessly for me
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Dec 2013, 01:02 AM   #25
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinwolfPA View Post
However, you never can tell at Pobox- as they rarely give customers any type of explanation when there are problems......Pobox just gives out account discounts when they have problems....

You also may want to keep an eye on their Twitter Page as well https://twitter.com/pobox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Generally, Pobox is very responsive to support calls at pobox@pobox.com and on Twitter.
For the most part that is true, however IF the recent access problems experienced by the OP was caused by the home page update, there is no mention of that anywhere that I can see (such as there will be a brief downtime at Pobox due to an update, etc)

David
Old 25 Dec 2013, 01:18 AM   #26
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
I was thinking the reports of Pobox unreliability were exaggerated. .
Here is the blog post about the December 2012 Mailstore outage at Pobox:

http://blog.pobox.com/2012_12_01_archive.html

David
Old 25 Dec 2013, 01:29 AM   #27
EdinwolfPA

Quote:
I was thinking the reports of Pobox unreliability were exaggerated. .
Here is the e-mail I received from Pobox regarding the October 18th, 2013 problems......

Dear Pobox Customer,

A fraction of Mailstore accounts have been experiencing severe speed issues today, resulting from a hardware upgrade on Monday. As a number of users indicated that the problem was blocking all access, we are migrating your account.

Until all your mail is migrated, you will only see your Inbox, and mail that arrived after 10 AM Eastern Daylight Time (-0500 GMT) on Friday, October 18th. None of your mail has been lost! It just takes some time to move users around, and it will show up soon. If your folders are visible, your migration is either underway or complete.

If you could not access your mail at all today, we apologize for the extended outage, and not making this change sooner. If you could read your mail, we apologize for the temporary removal of access to your older messages our current change is causing.

With our humblest apologies,
Pobox Customer Service
pobox@pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com

---------------------------------------------

David
Old 25 Dec 2013, 02:54 AM   #28
aynrandgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
LuxSci premium spam filter is provided by an enterprise service of McAfee. When using this premium service, MX records are configured to point to the McAfee service, then the filtered messages are to delivered your LuxSci account. No noticeable delay. I've used the service for years and it works very well. My experience with this service is nearly zero spam in my inbox. Conversely, I rarely have to release non-spam from the quarantine.
Luxsci premium spam filters can silently discard email though, and you can't turn it off, according Luxsci CS. There's no way to request quarantine rather than discard if the sending host is on their blacklist, according to them.

I've had Tuffmail do that to me when a legit email got sent from Dreamhost, which is flagged by Spamcop.

Tried more sending tests to Pobox. Emails took an amazing six minutes from receipt to showing up in my inbox, according to Pobox's own timestamps. That's really bad. Processing email shouldn't take that long even if they're running i386 boxes on their backend. It's almost like they're batch processing email. Nah, that's so 25 years ago. I suppose if I was out and about on my mobile i'd never notice the delay.