EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 12 Aug 2002, 04:50 AM   #1
Raptor01

Unhappy Need help with Mac's "Mail" Client

I am using MacOSX v 10.1.5
The mail client I am using is the one that comes with the computer. It's called "Mail"

The Problem?
I cannot send mail. No matter what address I send to. It remains in my outbox and won't go into the sent folder. That's basically it. I can access my inbox, I can delete with no problem, and my IMAP and SMTP settings are set fine to work with fastmail. (I can't use POP because I am a guest, not a member, so I use my ISP's SMTP and Fastmail's IMAP)

Here is the error message I get whenever it tries to send automatically when I log into "Mail" (in a little popup window):

"Error

This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered. The reason for the failure is: This message couldn’t be delivered because the SMTP host smtp.verizon.net did not recognize any of the recipients."

The thing is, I don't think it has to do with the SMTP server nor the recipient (as dumb as that sounds) b/c Eudora works fine. I just don't like Eudora. I like "Mail" better. Does anyone have a solution for me? I would GREATLY appreciate some help in the matter or some alternatives perhaps?

Please respond in the forum as well as e-mail me.

cnuraptor@xsmail.com

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! Your help is greatly appreciated

P.S. for some strange reason, whenever I click on the message in the outbox and try to MANUALLY send it, there is no error message, but there is also no confirmation that the mail was even sent. I know it wasn't sent b/c I asked a couple people if they got it over IM. Anyway. Thanks again!

Last edited by Raptor01 : 12 Aug 2002 at 04:55 AM.
Raptor01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Aug 2002, 01:28 AM   #2
Raptor01

???

I'm sorry... but I need to move this to the top...
Old 13 Aug 2002, 02:23 AM   #3

Question Mac OS X SMTP after IMAP issue?

Could the "Apple Mail SMTP after IMAP issue" possibly be linked to the "Mozilla 1.x/Netscape 7.0 SMTP after IMAP issue"? In that case it would become a general "Mac OS X SMTP after IMAP issue". Please have a look at these two threads:
>Trouble with 'Sent Items' and 'Draft' in Mozilla Mail
>Trouble with SMTP

Just an idea from a Newbie. What say the experts in this forum?
K 7
Old 13 Aug 2002, 07:18 AM   #4
o0o
Cornerstone of the Community

Re: Need help with Mac's "Mail" Client

Quote:
Originally posted by Raptor01
"Error
The reason for the failure is: This message couldn’t be delivered because the SMTP host smtp.verizon.net did not recognize any of the recipients."

The issue is not actually with FastMail, but with your ISP, Verizon. You are using their SMTP server. You may want to check with them to see if there are any specific settings necessary in mail clients. For example, they may require authentication, in which case you might need to provide your Verizon login and password. There was a new thread about this today in one of the forums. Also, in the future, for somehing like this, you may want to post in the Email Help Needed forum rather than the FastMail forum.

Hope that helps.
o0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 07:26 AM   #5
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

If you're a member, try using www.fastmail.fm as your SMTP server instead of Verizon's.

If you have to use Verizon's SMTP server, you'll need to contact their support folks for help, because I doubt anyone here will know much about that...
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 08:10 PM   #6
Kyle Babich
Cornerstone of the Community

Maybe I'm wrong but I think I read somewhere that Verizon not only blocks port 25 but they won't let you use thier smtp server unless that from is your Verizon address.
Kyle Babich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2002, 10:15 PM   #7
Gatton

Agreeing with what Kyle said. According to the FM FAQ:

Also, depending on the strictness of your ISP, you may also need to set the 'E-mail Address' field to your ISP's email address.

It may be enough to simply specify this in your email client's settings and then specify a separate Reply-To address. Worth a shot anyway.
Gatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2002, 05:18 AM   #8
Raptor01

alright, well

I replaced my email address with my verizon one and I tried both without and with authentication.. and it still didn't work. :'( Thanks for trying to help me guys... Oh, and there's no slot in Mac's "Mail" to specify a Reply to.... Can one of the Mods please move this thread to the"E-Mail Help Needed" forum?

Last edited by Raptor01 : 14 Aug 2002 at 05:20 AM.