EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 29 Dec 2004, 12:04 PM   #1
psalzer

Tsunami Resources

I came across this blog that seems to be a fairly organized grassroots effort to help people to help in this disaster, as well as providing other information and resources. If you think it can do some good, please pass it around.

http://tsunamihelp.blogspot.com/
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Dec 2004, 03:30 PM   #2
munchkin

Thanks for posting that, Pat.
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2004, 07:11 AM   #3
Gankaku

Aceh Relief

I saw that today Pat.

I'm also collecting for the Acehnese people (you know my husband is Indonesian.) If anyone wants to give directly to the people of Bandeh Aceh, you may contact me via PM.

One lady and her husband here lost 250 family members back in Aceh. Their entire immediate+extended family are gone. We met with her at her house last night. Anyone interested in reading more can check out my entries yesterday on my blog.

I've not been on the boards much since this happened.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2004, 07:23 AM   #4
JeffK

Re: Aceh Relief

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
I saw that today Pat.

I'm also collecting for the Acehnese people (you know my husband is Indonesian.) If anyone wants to give directly to the people of Bandeh Aceh, you may contact me via PM.

One lady and her husband here lost 250 family members back in Aceh. Their entire immediate+extended family are gone. We met with her at her house last night. Anyone interested in reading more can check out my entries yesterday on my blog.

I've not been on the boards much since this happened.
L, could we do that via Paypal? I didn't know your husband was Indonesian.

I take this opportunity to offer my sympathy to all forum members affected by this tragic event. And those that they know who they are trying to support. I have a connection with Aceh through the work of my Church there (UCA). The previous Australian "president" lived in Indonesia for a long period and thus prompted our interest in Indonesia. However my connections are not "personal" so I can only imagine what people such as your friends are going through.

Kind regards,

Jeff
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2004, 12:35 PM   #5
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Wow I'm very sorry to hear that Gankaku

I recall having conversed with a couple of Indonesian EMD members (hunter and ady), I can only hope they weren't affected. The scale of it is just mind-numbing.

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't find out about the tragedy until earlier this week, as I haven't been watching/reading the news. The people at Indonesia I'd talked to since Sunday didn't mention anything to me either -- even my Dad who's over there currently (but afterwards he did tell me he's shipping money and clothing and such to the region to help out). I'm just thankful that no one we personally know have been affected...

I'm watching the news now but at times find myself trying not to think about it too much (like the footage of the buldozers at the mass graves)...

P.S. Kudos to Edwin for the front-page resource link
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2004, 04:44 AM   #6
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by bitequator
This has always been one of the most caring boards around — I'm reminded of the temporary change in the appearance of this board to mark September 11 2002...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by bitequator
I'm wondering if a sticky on each forum might also be good — perhaps some people who only utilize one or two forums would not get a chance to see it.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2005, 11:26 PM   #8
Gankaku

Yes I'm accepting donations. I didn't want to solicit donations here. :-) So that's why I didn't mention before.

Anyone who wants to donate may PM me directly for my paypay address. We're collecting specifically for Acehnese relief. My husband will be at the Indonesian embassy tomorrow and the pooled funds from all those collecting will be directed to Aceh shortly afterward.

I'd like to see hunter and ady stop by and let us know that all is well...
Old 2 Jan 2005, 10:46 AM   #9
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I feel a bit sorry for using this nickname in fact...

Here in Dublin a lot of collectors are on the road to collect money for aid to the victims.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2005, 12:52 AM   #10
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Today the UK's commercial radio stations (over 300 of them) have joined together for UK Radio Aid, in aid of the tsunami victims.  (I'm listening to this courtesy of what is usually Virgin Classic Rock.)

Amongst other events, there are a lot of auctions on eBay UK, including a day for 2 at the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot, which is said to be a once-in-a-lifetime item; this is an exclusive event/venue to which the likes of you and I could never normally dream of going (at least not to the Royal Enclosure — or so I'm told)...
Old 18 Jan 2005, 03:25 AM   #11
Gankaku

I hope people who haven't given to aid the victims try to do something in the future month or so. I think we'll be seeing charitable events and sales and requests for donations for this catastrophe for awhile.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 06:33 AM   #12
JeffK

Thanks for the remider Gankaku.

Jeff

Some distressing high altitude photos of the Tsunami devastation.

http://homepage.mac.com/demark/tsunami/1.html
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2005, 10:20 PM   #13
Gankaku

We all know how destructive it was, yet I think it doesn't cease to fascinate us as well. I suppose I'm not the only one that is just plain awestruck when I see the home video images they have shown on tv of the tsunami coming in. It's amazing. Our friend was over last week, and he taped the CNN specials that were on and we just all sat there for two or three hours, just taken by all the images and stories.
Old 20 Jan 2005, 04:55 AM   #14
ROBERT.BAK
Essential Contributor

Just found this on Google Groups

Prog Aid — posted to alt.music.pink-floyd, this will be a charity single made by the progressive-rock movement.

Sadly the only names I recognise on the list are Ant Philips (ex Genesis) and Eric Woolfson (founder and leader of The Alan Parsons Project) (and the latter only as an information source); it would be great if they could persuade people of the stature of Peter Gabriel, Justin Hayward, Jimmy Page or Neal Peart to take part...
ROBERT.BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2005, 02:44 AM   #15
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

MailSnare Forums thread