EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 1 Oct 2005, 07:58 AM   #1
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Question Favorite Music Artists?

As an eclectic, myself, I just wanted to see what other people here are listening to right now. What genres do you like? Who are your favorite bands? I'll get it started:

Modern Rock - Pearl Jam (far and away my favorite band, they rock like no other, just voted best American rock band of all time), all the early 90s Seattle bands, Dave Matthews Band, Killers, White Stripes
Classic Rock - Just about everyone from the 60s and 70s and even 80s
Alternative - Soul Coughing, Mike Doughty, Weezer, Radiohead, G. Love and Special Sauce, Sublime, Slightly Stoopid
Jazz - Johnny Hodges (Duke's saxophonist, love his tone), Wynton Marsalis Septet
Blues - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker
Classical - Bach, Beethoven, Yo Yo Ma as favorite musician
Techno - BT (Brian Transeau), Paul Oakenfold, Chicane, Cafe del Mar...I love ambient and soothing techno...amazing stuff

Well, that just touches the iceberg, but that's a lot of the stuff I hit often on my playlist....I need to get more of an ear for Rap and R&B. Who should I start my collection with?

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Oct 2005, 08:22 AM   #2
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Re: Favorite Music Artists?

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip

Classical - Bach, Beethoven, Yo Yo Ma as favorite musician

Bach, Bach and more Bach for me And yes I love Yo Yo Ma's playing too...I've always wished I had become a cellist--I love that instrument.

For R&B I would suggest 3 albums: The Essential James Carr, featuring (you guessed it) James Carr, People Get Ready by The Impressions (the title track being a great Curtis Mayfield tune), and of course Marvin Gaye's What's Going On .

I've never been into rap/hip-hop.

Classic Rock: Cream (or Eric Clapton in any of his manifestations ); the Velvet Underground (incredibly ahead of their time...listening to The Velvet Underground & Nico it's hard to believe it was released in early 1967); also a lot of early-to-middle Bowie; Stones up until Sticky Fingers; used to be a huge Beatles fan but they haven't worn well for me (although "I Am the Walrus" is still one of my all-time favorites ).
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Oct 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

Hmm music... :)

Dance/Trance - Like everything from Paul Oakenfield and especially DJ Tiesto. Ive only just started listening to it though.

Trip - is Cafe Del Mar, house music?

Was into quite a bit of hip hop and r&b when i was at school, still like the occasional r&b track

Mind r&b you can dance to, dont know how ppl dance to trance music, hahah
Old 1 Oct 2005, 11:11 AM   #4
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Re: Favorite Music Artists?

Hmm seems we have simular tastes in music Trip, well at least so far as rock/techo go. (I have to admit I dislike classic/jazz/blues)
Pearl Jam is a great band, I like alot of their mid to late 90's stuff - like given to fly, alive, daughter etc Hmm I haven't heard much of the White Stripes, tho I did hear their song about a doorbell? today on Video Hits (I think the songs called my doorbell)
Dave Matthews band. Hmm I think I've heard a song of theirs called 'The space between'? Bruce Springsteen is also a champ! Tho he's obviously from the late 80's early 90's.

I'm a big fan of the chicane saltwater cd. I like the way chicane is ambient dance, yet can have a classic singer and still pull off a chart position (the track Saltwater is an example) And tho I'm not a huge Brian Adams fan the duo with Chicane 'Don't give it up' is ok. I really like alot of Paul Oakenfold's work, especially his remixes - eg. for a girl (madonna) send me an angel (some 80's band)

Anyways I'm not a huge r n b or rap fan, but try these bands;
The Black Eyed Peas
Eminem
Macy Gray
OutKast

Also why not look into Australian bands singers, they rock! Like;
The Superjesus (rock)
Motorace (rock)
Delta Goodrem (pop - soon to be launched in US)
Good old Kylie Minouge
Casey Chambers (country)
Ricki-Lee Coulter (pop/rock ex aussie idol contestant)
Killing Heidi (rock)
Pete Murray (simular style to jack johnston)

There you go, that should keep you busy for a while
dan
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2005, 10:52 PM   #5
aeilno1

GREAT topic!
I listen to Three days grace,The Killers,papa roach, Blink 182, Switchfoot ,The Vines,sum 41 and green day for rock
And Mozart, Bach & Vivaldi for Classic
Alt: Enya, dido and soundscores from movies like:The Legend of 1900, Les Choristles, Speed & Godfather
aeilno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2005, 03:02 AM   #6
munchkin

I like pretty different kinds of music ... some of my favorite artists are Johnny Cash, Simon & Garfunkel, Pink Floyd - I also like 70s and 80s punk, oi and goth bands eg Infa Riot, Bauhaus, Urban Decay, The Wipers, Cock Sparrer - and some hip hop like the Beastie Boys and Immortal Technique. And Snoop Dogg. Oh and Pantera. And ... well too many to name
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2005, 04:21 AM   #7
Trip
Master of the @

Representative of:
Runbox.com
@ earl - Yeah, Cafe del Mar is actually a place on the famed island of Ibiza, off the coast of Spain, world-famous for its sunsets, where a lot of seaside cafes have gatherings that play island-type techno for all the young people who go there to watch the sunsets. Quite a spectacle I've heard...The CdM volumes are just collections of different artists' tracks that fit into that kind of island/chill out/ambient music. Very cool stuff, imho. Great for those hammock days in the sun.

@ dan - Wow, very similar taste indeed. I will look into some of the stuff that I haven't heard.

@ munchkin - Long time no see! Indeed you have a varied taste, nice to see that.

Trip
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2005, 06:47 AM   #8
glebarr
Essential Contributor

Yes
The Beatles
Rory Gallagher
Porcupine Tree
City Boy
lots of classic rock, fusion, jazz, blues and just about anything with good guitar playing
glebarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2005, 12:58 PM   #9
darrylb

Thumbs up Re: Re: Favorite Music Artists?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Storm
I really like alot of Paul Oakenfold's work, especially his remixes - eg. for a girl (madonna) send me an angel (some 80's band)
Oh...DIE!!! Now that song's going through my head, it's driving me nuts, since I can't remember the name of the (*#! group. I'll have to see if I can find it later, some European group...

Quote:
As an eclectic, myself, I just wanted to see what other people here are listening to right now.
Bah ha ha, since I listen to anything from new age to indian to video game music to death metal, that's me, pretty much Not listening to much in particular for the moment, although I Friends of Hell from Witchfinder General has been dragged up from the dead a lot in the last year...

Quote:
What genres do you like? Who are your favorite bands?
Lessee!

Metal

Brutality (R. I. P.)
Coroner (R. I. P., and damn the people for starting the excitement that they might get back together to play a concert this year at a festival)
Bal-Sagoth (main instrument is the keyboard, rather than the guitar...kind of interesting)
Candlemass (speaking of: kind of a modern Black Sabbath, but with an opera singer! Don't have their newest one yet though!)
Skyclad (first band to combine metal with folk!)
Bolt Thrower

Various rock and all

U2 (gonna be on Conan O'Brien in about 45 minutes!! Got some rare e. p.s and 12" import singles and all)
Imana Copolla (sp? She sings, raps, and plays fiddle!)
Soda Stereo (Spanish rock group, got into Spanish rock waaaaaay before anyone else)
Big Country (first four albums, R. I. P. Stuart Adamson )

New age (actually heard it's called something else now...Gankaku, do you know the new term?)

Cusco (a million times better than John Tesh)
Hevia (inventor of the electric bagpipes)
Deuter

Dark Ambient

Mortiis/Vond
Desiderii Marginis
Swartalf

Video game music (mostly Sega Genesis stuff)

The Immortal (creepy and cool)
Fatal Rewind (rude and crude--yet at times smoothe--synthesizer music. That's about it!)
Gauntlet 4
Stellar Fire (Sega CD game)
Heroes of Might and Magic (PC)
Ys 3
Gods
Sub-Terrania (pretty good, dreary space music)

Probably lots of others I'm forgetting, but this post's long enough as it is...
darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:01 PM   #10
JeffK

Does anybody know Printed Circuit?
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Oct 2005, 01:01 PM   #11
darrylb

Re: Re: Favorite Music Artists?

Quote:
Originally posted by rmns2bseen
also a lot of early-to-middle Bowie; Stones up until Sticky Fingers;
I heard someone say their new one is their best since Tattoo You; have it yet/impressions?
darrylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2005, 08:00 AM   #12
rmns2bseen
Master of the @

Re: Re: Re: Favorite Music Artists?

Quote:
Originally posted by darrylb
I heard someone say their new one is their best since Tattoo You; have it yet/impressions?
wow...forgot about Tattoo You , and Some Girls is good too So I'll have to revise that I guess. But nope, haven't heard any of the newer material but I'll be sure to check it out
rmns2bseen is offline   Reply With Quote