EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Jun 2016, 02:57 PM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Outlook and Hotmail flooded by spam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36426142
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Jun 2016, 09:41 PM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I experienced this in one of my accounts.

It looked to me that there wasn't really an increase in spam, but rather that the spam filter wasn't working and mail was instead coming to the inbox. That meant it was also being forwarded on, as items marked as spam are not forwarded.

I checked my spam filter settings but saw no change. I presumed it was a glitch.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jun 2016, 09:51 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
It looked to me that there wasn't really an increase in spam, but rather that the spam filter wasn't working and mail was instead coming to the inbox.
The very first sentence of the news story posted by the OP reads "Microsoft has tackled a problem with its email filters that had prevented them from properly screening out spam" (my emphasis)
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jun 2016, 12:14 AM   #4
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
The very first sentence of the news story posted by the OP reads "Microsoft has tackled a problem with its email filters that had prevented them from properly screening out spam" (my emphasis)
Thank you for pointing out that according to the story, my initial assessment was correct.
Old 3 Jun 2016, 05:58 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I'm very happy you read at least one sentence of the article you had commented on.
Old 3 Jun 2016, 07:13 AM   #6
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
I'm very happy you read at least one sentence of the article you had commented on.
I thought that I was commenting on the fact that I had seen that Outlook was flooded with spam firsthand, and not on the article.

I fail to see, however, how your choice to be snarky with me, deciding to judge and mock me because I didn't properly read something you believe I should have digested maintains any level of decorum or grace in this forum.

Does it add anything to the discussion, or is it just an attempt to take a shot at another member for an imagined infraction of ignorance?

Do you believe that your sniping and attempts to snark at people will make this a better place to discuss e-mail?

Personally, I not only fail to see any benefit, but see malice and destruction in your choice.
Old 3 Jun 2016, 05:34 PM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
Does it add anything to the discussion
What value is added to the discussion by saying "it looks to me the reason is XYZ", when XYZ is mentioned as the reason in the opening sentence of the news story?
Old 3 Jun 2016, 06:40 PM   #8
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

My reply shared my experience, which is part of the expression this forum supports, plus it noted that I only saw this on one account, not all.

It directly addressed the subject of the thread.

I answered your question.

Now, do you want to answer mine?
Old 4 Jun 2016, 01:48 AM   #9
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

My answer is here
Old 4 Jun 2016, 04:10 AM   #10
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

You reveal your shallowness and judgmental qualities so brilliantly all by yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that you are on more than one persons ignore list, as they want decorum and not snark in the forum.

So nice to know you won't come back with another knee jerk attack after this, as you have chosen to be blind and ignorant.

Goodbye!
Old 4 Jun 2016, 01:23 PM   #11
EricG
Essential Contributor

Why isn't there an option under "Thread Tools" to ignore the thread? The opposite of subscribing, sort of.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote