EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 4 Jan 2019, 09:24 AM   #1
ao1
Essential Contributor

Red face Fastmail bouncing emails to me form a "new" domain

A site that I use regularly needed to switch to a different platform, so they registered a new domain and asked the users to re-register, but when I tried to do so, a confirmation email did not arrive.

Luckily, I was able to contact the site's owner via a different venue and they agreed to help me check what is wrong.

Apparently Fastmail bounces the emails with the following message:

<REDACTED@fastmail.fm>: host in1-smtp.messagingengine.com[66.111.4.71] said:
451 4.7.1 <DATA>: Data command rejected: REDACTED.com is too new,
temporarily blacklisted - RLR813 - ip=<23.83.214.32>,
host=<catfish.maple.relay.mailchannels.net>,
helo=<catfish.maple.relay.mailchannels.net>, from_domain=<REDACTED.com>
(in reply to DATA command)

As a longtime paying customer, I expect to get the service that I am paying for, which includes receiving emails, even if they are sent from new domains, and not rejecting them without giving me any notification.

If anyone from FM is reading this, I need it to be resolved ASAP. The ticket number is PTN477705.

Thank you,
Alex.
ao1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Jan 2019, 09:47 AM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Fastmail dont come on here at all now, it seems they prefer to use the ticket system.

If it is a new domain it can take 24 to 48 hours to propagate correctly world wide.

Also put that domain address in your address book.
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2019, 12:43 PM   #3
ao1
Essential Contributor

Hi Terry,
Thank you for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Fastmail dont come on here at all now, it seems they prefer to use the ticket system.
Hmmm... I remember the days that they used to care.

Quote:
If it is a new domain it can take 24 to 48 hours to propagate correctly world wide.
Oh, the domain propagated alright, it's just that FM's servers say "you're too new, go away" for no other reason.

Quote:
Also put that domain address in your address book.
How do I put a whole domain in my address book?
Old 4 Jan 2019, 02:31 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Greylisting based on newly created domains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao1 View Post
... How do I put a whole domain in my address book?
Add a contact with the email address of *@domain.tld. For example:
*@example.org

That will whitelist the domain for the spam filter, but in your example the message was rejected at the SMTP acceptance stage. Based on a post I saw somewhere else, I think that Fastmail has used such a new domain block for at least a couple of years or so to reduce spam from new domains. Spammers often create a new domain so they have a while to send their junk before it's blocked. I'm not sure exactly how the server makes a decision that the domain is "too new", and I'm not sure if address book whitelisting will help in this case.

Your example had a "451" SMTP error. This is the usual response when a message is deferred by greylisting. Most SMTP outgoing servers will re-send the message later. The sending server should not give up at the first 451 error but should try again later. In this case (new domain) I'm not sure how Fastmail applies greylisting, and they probably don't want to publicize their exact policy to prevent creative spammers from evading their greylist techniques.

See the Greylisting section in this help page:
https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/smtpchecks.html

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jan 2019, 04:21 PM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Greylisting can be annoying, but blocks a high proportion of phishing and spam attacks. As long as temporary failure email delivery is retried normally by the sending mail server, the only effect should be delayed delivery.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jan 2019, 01:50 AM   #6
ao1
Essential Contributor

This is not the same as FM's usual greylisting, as the email is bounced because the domain is "too new" and is therefore time (or should I say, date) sensitive.

In particular, I did not get those emails so it's not just an issue of a slight delay.

On the positive side, a FM rep got back to me saying that they whitelisted the domain. I'll check if it works.