EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jun 2020, 03:37 AM   #1
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

What do you consider examples of FM's "less used advanced customizations"?

-------------

Ignore this reply since it's to the actual first post of this thread which seems to have been deleted!

Last edited by xyzzy : 20 Jun 2020 at 08:28 AM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jun 2020, 05:22 AM   #2
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

it's $99/yr...
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 06:49 AM   #3
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
it's $99/yr...
Seems like quite a few negatives with Hey. https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/16/ba...r-neat-freaks/
Quote:
Asked by a Twitter user about the lack of support for IMAP, Basecamp CTO David Heinemeier Hansson confirmed it will never be supported, writing that: “Our changes to email requires the vertical integration we’ve done.”
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2020, 08:06 AM   #4
gardenweed

I like the idea of being able to put sticky notes on an email - I wonder if something like that is even possible in IMAP.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2020, 08:23 AM   #5
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

How did my post become the first post of this thread? I was replying to the actual first post.
Old 20 Jun 2020, 08:27 AM   #6
gardenweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
How did my post become the first post of this thread? I was replying to the actual first post.
I thought it looked a strange OP.
Now I see why.
Anyhow - got a conversation going
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2020, 05:07 PM   #7
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
I thought it looked a strange OP.
Now I see why.
Anyhow - got a conversation going
...so which is the first post? I know Xyzzy's was there when I posted). Did the OP delete their post?

[edit: just seen xyzzy's edit, confirming deletion]
Old 20 Jun 2020, 07:25 PM   #8
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
...so which is the first post? I know Xyzzy's was there when I posted). Did the OP delete their post?

[edit: just seen xyzzy's edit, confirming deletion]
If I recall the OP stated something about Hey email and also writing something up about implementing FM's "less used advanced customizations" (those are his words I quoted). I don't remember how he combined the two topics in the same post (aging short term memory ain't what it used to be nor did I consider it important enough to remember in the first place). Hence my followup reply (which at the time was post 2) asking him what he considered "advanced". If that chased him away and he deleted his post so be it.

If there's any moral to this I guess it's always use the forum quoting of what you're replying to even if the followup reply is obviously the previous post! So I guess that's my fault for not doing this and adding to the confusion. Sorry guys.

Last edited by xyzzy : 20 Jun 2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 20 Jun 2020, 07:43 PM   #9
JamesHenderson

Quote:
If there's any moral to this I guess it's always use the forum quoting of what you're replying to even if the followup reply is obviously the previous post!
Like this? :-)

Quote:
So I guess that's my fault for not doing this and adding to the confusion. Sorry guys.
...not your fault at all.

Last edited by JamesHenderson : 20 Jun 2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added 2nd quote/reply
Old 20 Jun 2020, 07:54 PM   #10
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Like this? :-)
Yup!

Quote:
...not your fault at all.
Thanks.
Old 21 Jun 2020, 08:35 AM   #11
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Seems like quite a few negatives with Hey. https://techcrunch.com/2020/06/16/ba...r-neat-freaks/
Which makes it essentially useless and a lock-in service.

There's no way to migrate to another hoster painlessly if it doesn't do IMAP (ingress or egress) - if they are offering a full data download at all (I'll be checking them out soon, hadn't heard of them yet) they better be in maildir, mbox or whatever format Exchange/Outlook uses and not some horrendous pile of JSON; you'd have to code the export/import yourself (not that difficult if the data is well-formed, but they seem to pretend that they have "improved" email while that's debatable). Also, I always require that all data at the hoster is backed up fully to my local systems including all state (flags etc) -- I use mbsync/isync to sync all my stuff from Fastmail. If that's impossible with Hey they will never have my business.

At first glance it looks like they took the idea of Google Inbox (discontinued IIRC) and iterated on it. Just that they lack a tight calendar implementation...

BTW their MTA seems to be Postfix. Telnet mx.app.hey.com. 25 to say EHLO. Their maximum message size seems to be 28MB which is kinda low. On my private email server I had a much higher limit, and Fastmail permits 70MB. So no luck sending those 5 pictures from your phone to grandma's freemail account.

Well, I'll watch them for a couple of years and see where they go. They're not production-ready anyway without custom domains yet as far as I am concerned. Tying your stuff to a provider's domain is a mistake I don't intend to repeat.

No idea what the OP wants though.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2020, 06:10 PM   #12
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Which makes it essentially useless and a lock-in service.

There's no way to migrate to another hoster painlessly if it doesn't do IMAP (ingress or egress) - if they are offering a full data download at all (I'll be checking them out soon, hadn't heard of them yet) they better be in maildir, mbox or whatever format Exchange/Outlook uses and not some horrendous pile of JSON; you'd have to code the export/import yourself (not that difficult if the data is well-formed, but they seem to pretend that they have "improved" email while that's debatable). Also, I always require that all data at the hoster is backed up fully to my local systems including all state (flags etc) -- I use mbsync/isync to sync all my stuff from Fastmail. If that's impossible with Hey they will never have my business.
You can export to MBOX and forward your mail to any address.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote