EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Jun 2020, 01:28 AM   #1
shimself

Blocking now sends message to trash

Blocking now sends messages to trash - via the spam filter.

This is a complete pain

Has anyone got a trick to defeat this, or an inside track at FM to get them to revert?

Thanks
shimself is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Jun 2020, 01:54 PM   #2
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

I just got an email from FM notifying me that "all accounts will be updated to use the updated Rules and Filters the week of June 15, 2020." They go on to explain in detail what your choices are since the new rules UI no longer support discard. Rather than me paraphrasing what they said I'll just quote it...

Quote:
Alternatives for Discard to Trash

In Rules: eliminate messages after 1 day (visible by Search only)
  • Add a new folder or label
  • Modify the settings for your new folder / label to set:
    • Show in sidebar: Always hide
    • Auto-purge: 1 day
  • Use the rule/filter action “Move to” / “Add Label” to send messages to this folder
  • If you use labels, be sure “Continue to apply other rules” is not selected
In Sieve

In custom Sieve, the “discard” action will continue to remove messages immediately and silently, with no notification to either you or the sender. Any mail removed via discard is gone without the possibility of restoration. Please use with caution.
Those choices don't seem that bad, well, except maybe for the guy who posted in another thread he had 1000 discard filters!

Last edited by xyzzy : 9 Jun 2020 at 02:23 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2020, 02:13 PM   #3
Chipper
Master of the @

So... from what I have read on the forum ---> there will no longer be a "discard" option? This is horrible!

I use subdomain addressing for each specific organization I do business with. Examples:
Amazon@subdomain
SouthwestAirlines@subdomin
MyBank@subdomain

If a specific subdomain is compromised, I make it a discard rule. In addition, I have 6 blocked senders which are immediate discard.

I do not want to see this stuff in my Trash folder!
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2020, 04:19 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
So... from what I have read on the forum ---> there will no longer be a "discard" option? This is horrible!

I use subdomain addressing for each specific organization I do business with. Examples:
Amazon@subdomain
SouthwestAirlines@subdomin
MyBank@subdomain

If a specific subdomain is compromised, I make it a discard rule. In addition, I have 6 blocked senders which are immediate discard.

Maybe create a ToBeDiscarded folder that has the option to be purged daily.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 06:44 AM   #5
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:

If you use subdomains of your own domain, and you want to block a whole subdomain, then there are two other option that work in such a way that not only mail to that subdomain doesn't reach your Trash or any other folder, it doesn't even get to the Sieve script. It's just not accepted.

Method one: for subdomain.mydomain.tld make the alias subdomain@mydomain.tld and disable this alias. This would block all mail to that alias including al subdomain addresses for that alias.

Method 2: In the DNS make fake mx records for the subdomain (that route all the mail for the subdomain to a "black hole".

One additional advantage is that legitimate senders that might try to contact you through the disabled addresses would get an erroer message that mail was not sent' so they would try to contact you using some other method.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 08:06 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
If you use subdomains of your own domain, and you want to block a whole subdomain, then there are two other option that work in such a way that not only mail to that subdomain doesn't reach your Trash or any other folder, it doesn't even get to the Sieve script. It's just not accepted.

Method one: for subdomain.mydomain.tld make the alias subdomain@mydomain.tld and disable this alias. This would block all mail to that alias including al subdomain addresses for that alias.

Method 2: In the DNS make fake mx records for the subdomain (that route all the mail for the subdomain to a "black hole".

One additional advantage is that legitimate senders that might try to contact you through the disabled addresses would get an erroer message that mail was not sent' so they would try to contact you using some other method.
I believe another similar (but easier) solution is to forward emails sent to the subdomain to an email address at the contoso.com domain (a Microsoft testing domain) such as DiscardThis@contoso.com.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2020, 08:27 PM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I believe another similar (but easier) solution is to forward emails sent to the subdomain to an email address at the contoso.com domain (a Microsoft testing domain) such as DiscardThis@contoso.com.
Actually this too can be achieved by creating an alias for the subdomain that redirects all mail to that alias to DiscardThis@contoso.com (redirection defind when creating the alias and not in the Sieve rules).
Old 15 Jun 2020, 07:44 AM   #8
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

I don't think forwarding would work. When I looked a few days ago there was only an option to forward a copy.

I was going to suggest adding a few lines of sieve to discard all mail to a particular address and then forward to that.
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2020, 12:49 PM   #9
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob View Post
I don't think forwarding would work. When I looked a few days ago there was only an option to forward a copy.
I believe he was referring to the Deliver to alias setting.

For my own education I'm curious about that DiscardThis@contoso.com. Never heard of that before? Is it documented somewhere? Contoso.com is but how does DiscardThis@contoso.com essentially map into a "black hole"? Don't see any info on that local part.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2020, 10:24 PM   #10
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Maybe create a ToBeDiscarded folder that has the option to be purged daily.

I thought of this one also.

Actually, a number of good ideas here. However, I still do not understand. Why is FM removing the ability to say, " Discard all emails from this sender?"
Old 15 Jun 2020, 11:52 PM   #11
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Why is FM removing the ability to say, " Discard all emails from this sender?"
No-one here can answer that. You need to ask FM.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2020, 12:34 AM   #12
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
I believe he was referring to the Deliver to alias setting.
But if you want to discard from rules you would need to be able to forward to that alias without keeping a copy.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 01:07 AM   #13
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
But if you want to discard from rules you would need to be able to forward to that alias without keeping a copy.
I was suggesting how to get rid of all the mail sent to a particular subdomain (or to a single email address). This can be done by making it an alias that does not receive any mail. It's not a replacement for rules that want to get rid only of some of the mail sent to an address (like block some senders but not all senders). I think that lacking an instruction to permanently delete the most sensible thing to do is to file the unwanted mail in a hidden folder, perhaps with periodical deletion of old mail. Whether it deletes mail that is one day old, a week old, a year old or never deletes depends on how much mail is received.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 04:20 AM   #14
SideshowBob
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadaso View Post
I was suggesting how to get rid of all the mail sent to a particular subdomain (or to a single email address). This can be done by making it an alias that does not receive any mail.
I'm pretty sure chipper actually meant discard mail to a specific subdomain *address*, otherwise the rest of what he wrote doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by SideshowBob : 16 Jun 2020 at 04:53 AM.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 09:20 AM   #15
Chipper
Master of the @

Quote:
I'm pretty sure chipper actually meant discard mail to a specific subdomain *address*, otherwise the rest of what he wrote doesn't make any sense.
Correct. I create a specific subdomain *address* for each company I do business with.
Amazon@xxxx.FastMailDomain.tld
SouthwestAirlines@xxxx.FastMailDomain.tld
MyBank@xxxx.FastMailDomain.tld

For example, let's say that my Amazon subdomain address got compromised. Easy fix:
1) Create a rule to delete if "To Addr" is Amazon@xxxx.FastMailDomain.tld
2) Change my addr with them to Amazon2@xxxx.FastMailDomain.tld