EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 11 Apr 2006, 02:20 AM   #136
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by robert@fm
One seasonal film which everyone should see is Wallace and Gromit:  The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which I've seen twice.  Cracking!

Tip:  See if you can spot the nod to the Harry Potter franchise in the opening sequence.
The IMDB has accepted my submission re. a glaring anachronism in this film. Still a classic movie however (I have it on DVD)...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 07:20 AM   #137
btn
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Thank You For Smoking is a gleeful comedy.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2006, 05:32 PM   #138
ankupan

I like The Patriot very much.

[edit] link is attached

Last edited by ankupan : 12 Apr 2006 at 11:59 AM.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:22 AM   #139
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
It would be great if everyone recommending a movie would link to its IMDB profile. Then everyone will know if you are referring to The Patriot, The Patriot, or one of several other movies that share a similar title. Thanks.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 12:00 PM   #140
ankupan

thanks btn,

I have made correction.

~ ankupan ~
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2006, 11:58 PM   #141
sarf

High Noon

Battleship Potemkin

Duck Soup

Captain Blood

It's a wonderful life

Mr Deeds goes to town
sarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2006, 07:32 AM   #143
gogol

My all-time fave movies are:
2046 (Wong Kar-Wai);
In The Mood For Love (Wong Kar-Wai);
"Mirror" (Zerkalo) Tarkovski

and my favorite spam filter is spambully

gogol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2006, 03:11 PM   #144
The Storm
Essential Contributor

I couldn't resist opening up this old thread, as I've seen some really great movies lately! One of the benefits of helping run a video store!

Walk the Line - Now I have to say I'm not a huge Johnny Cash fan. Truth be told I only remember a few of his songs playing in the car when my grandma used to run down to the shops and pick up some beer! Anyway, I thought the movie was great, good story and as an added bonus the lead actors (Joaquin Phoenix/Reece Witherspoon) do all their own singing!

Brokeback Mountain - I really thought this movie was great! Best described as an epic love story, with a twist in that the two lead characters are gay. Filmed in Canada the scenery is stunning, and with a solid story and brilliant performances by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllanhall its well worth a watch!

The Family Stone - A very all american christmas movie Its really funny, basically the story revolves around a semi-dysfuntional family getting together over christmas! A big twist at the end, starring Owen Wilson, Clair Danes and Sarah Jessica-Parker

Warren Miller's Cold Fusion - while this movie has been out a few years, its an awesome snowboarding/ski documentary. Warren Miller usually puts out one movie a year and this is the best I've seen so far. Extreme snowboarding, stunning scenery and an awsome soundtrack - its extreme sports at its best!
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2006, 03:15 AM   #145
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I recently saw Cars, and reckon it's one of Pixar's best; since they did The Incredibles (EMD post), they've worked out how to do realistic particle animation (hair, water, fire, smoke), and they use the new technique to great effect — at every opportunity! (Particle animation was always Pixar's weak point, especially compared to DreamWorks; characters in The Incredibles all looked as if they were wearing wigs made of solid plastic with grooves cut into them to represent hair.)
Old 20 Dec 2006, 07:37 PM   #146
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I've recently seen Flushed Away, another brilliant (and very British) film from Aardman (I think the co-credit for DreamWorks is because they needed to use DreamWorks' particle-animation expertise for all those flowing-water shots).

I've also seen Eragon (I don't suppose it's any coincidence that the name is just one letter different from "dragon"); I didn't think it was that great, it was entertaining but run-of-the-mill fantasy fare (elves, dragons, magic, battles of good vs. evil).  I don't regret seeing it, but I've seen it all before and don't desire to watch this particular one again.  I'd give it 3 out of 5.

I've also treated myself to the DVD of the classic (and grossly underrated) movie Tron, and seen that for the seventh time (the first five were in the cinema in 1982, the sixth was on TV); I'd love to see this film re-released, it would probably do far better than it did 24 years ago...
Old 20 Feb 2007, 03:10 AM   #147
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I've just bought myself the DVD of Short Circuit, a classic (and wonderfully silly) film, because Woolworths' had it cheaply (just £3).  I now want to get Short Circuit 2.

(I have quite an extensive DVD collection, given that I can't set up my player because I don't yet have a TV set.)
Old 1 Mar 2007, 06:06 AM   #148
suzi

Couldn't resist adding to this thread.

My all time favourite films include What Dreams May Come, Girl, Interrupted and The Shawshanks Redemption. Followed closely by West Side Story, Marvin's Room and Finding Nemo.
suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2007, 06:27 AM   #149
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi View Post
Finding Nemo
Was anyone else perplexed by the Oscar winner for Best Animated Feature this year?
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:51 AM   #150
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Was anyone else perplexed by the Oscar winner for Best Animated Feature this year?
I was; why on earth didn't it go to Cars? And why was Flushed Away (miles better than Happy Feet or Monster House, by all accounts) not even nominated?