EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 2 Oct 2016, 10:53 AM   #1
Just Bill

Anyone care to weigh in on the Yahoo fiasco?

By now, I'm sure that you've all read about Yahoo Mail and their 500,000,000 email accounts being hacked, supposedly by a "state sponsor". Personally, I thought everyone knew that Yahoo!'s email security is a joke. Anyone else here believe that Yahoo is circling the drain?
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Oct 2016, 02:14 PM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

It's "at least" half a billion accounts, and it took two years to discover and report the breach.

Yahoo has been circling the drain for years, being kept alive through AliBaba money and being unable to find another identity.

How do you admit your core business is gone, never coming back and that there is no way to replace it? Ask the old managers at Polaroid & Kodak about that challenge.

But there is still money to be made from milking, which Verizon chose to do with AOL and was going to do with Yahoo. We shall see if that proceeds.

Betting on the future is hard if you have no idea what it looks like.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Has it been announced yet what is going to change about Yahoo email accounts and about the Flickr.com photo galleries service?

Some friends of mine use Flickr very heavily for their portfolio and/or use Yahoo as their primary email service. When I told them about the purchase by Verizon, they were confident nothing would change to Yahoo nor Flickr and that all would remain the same. I'm not sure upon which source they made that statement though.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2016, 10:26 AM   #4
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Since Verizon is buying the services to get advertising access to the users of them, I would doubt they intend the kind of changes which would drive users away.

Beyond that, though, anything could happen, though if Verizon pulls out and there is no buyer or there is a fall back to a second tier buyer, service could go downhill very quickly.
Old 4 Oct 2016, 07:37 AM   #5
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
I was seriously considering starting a Flickr.com account, but I'm unsure whether it's still a reliable option for a photo portfolio...

Also, some of my best friends rely on Yahoo as their primary email service, I'm unsure whether I should warn them and tell them to reconsider or whether those are unnecessary worries.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2016, 12:18 PM   #6
David
Ultimate Contributor

A friend of mine uses Yahoo email and swears by it. I tell him that Yahoo email is the worse email choice he could ever make, but (of course) he tells me that I am full of crud. He gets locked out of his account at least once a year, and asks me to help (which I usually do)

He always gets his account back, after contacting support...

Maybe Yahoo email support is better than most
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2016, 01:28 PM   #7
ezkop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A friend of mine uses Yahoo email and swears by it. I tell him that Yahoo email is the worse email choice he could ever make, but (of course) he tells me that I am full of crud. He gets locked out of his account at least once a year, and asks me to help (which I usually do)

He always gets his account back, after contacting support...

Maybe Yahoo email support is better than most
Is he a paid(i.e ad-free) user? I don't think there's any customer support for free users.
ezkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2016, 02:16 PM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkop View Post
Is he a paid(i.e ad-free) user? I don't think there's any customer support for free users.
He is a free user, who (when he is locked out) clicks on the (I cannot access my account link) which shows up when you cannot access your account....

He goes through all the steps (that Yahoo insist he work through) and (afterwards) gets his account access back. After that happens he tells me: see... I told you that Yahoo are the best of the best.

Who knows, why he gets locked out in the first place.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2016, 02:49 AM   #9
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I have a Yahoo! account, but I no longer use it's email services for anything important. I still like Flickr, sort of. I receive huge numbers of spam messages in my Yahoo email account. I think it's partly because my address is part of a hack and is posted on the Internet.
I'm under the impression that Yahoo still provides email services for AT&T U-verse customers.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2016, 05:28 AM   #10
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Yahoo Agreed to Privacy Break

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ya...-idUSKCN1241YT

Quote:
Yahoo Inc last year secretly built a custom software program to search all of its customers' incoming emails for specific information provided by U.S. intelligence officials, according to people familiar with the matter.
Some surveillance experts said this represents the first case to surface of a U.S. Internet company agreeing to a spy agency's demand by searching all arriving messages, as opposed to examining stored messages or scanning a small number of accounts in real time.
Old 5 Oct 2016, 06:12 AM   #11
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I can confirm that Yahoo does supply email services to AT&T. I just received notifation from Yahoo that my AT&T email account was part of the hack.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2016, 06:56 PM   #12
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

I have three Yahoo! accounts. One is my primary account. One of them is organizational. I have had no problems with these accounts. The primary account I have had for years. I have changes my passwords as a precaution, I am not all that worried about this.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2016, 05:16 AM   #13
Just Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
I have three Yahoo! accounts. One is my primary account. One of them is organizational. I have had no problems with these accounts. The primary account I have had for years. I have changes my passwords as a precaution, I am not all that worried about this.
The U.S. Government is glad that you feel that way, especially since Yahoo has been giving them access to all of your email.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2016, 01:55 PM   #14
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
The U.S. Government is glad that you feel that way, especially since Yahoo has been giving them access to all of your email.
A lot of speculation in that Reuters article; zero proof.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2016, 06:34 AM   #15
cmac

i changed my yahoo passwords. one account i have keeps getting messages that someone is trying to access my account from an app not approved by yahoo..
cmac is offline   Reply With Quote