EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 23 Dec 2016, 11:53 PM   #1
slow

Free providers that hide IP address and not flagged as spam

What are some good providers that don't send IP address in the headers and are fairly privacy conscious. It doesn't have to be anything extreme; just basic security
Also that's not flagged as spam by AOL or other providers. Aol seems to bounce mail of some providers.

Last edited by slow : 24 Dec 2016 at 03:05 AM.
slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Dec 2016, 12:44 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Mail sent from many free email providers (especially small ones) will have a higher likelihood of being marked as spam by nearly all email service. Mail sent using email clients usually contains the IP address of the sender device. Mail sent using webmail sometimes does not include the sender device IP, but this depends on the email service. I think that Gmail is the only large free email provider who does not include the source device IP in webmail. Of course, Gmail tracks your IP, but I don't believe they place it openly in the headers (at least if you send using their web interface).

You will have to use a reputable provider who includes proper DKIM and SPF features to reliably send to major email providers. And if you send through a server not specified by the domain owner (such as using DMARC records) you may have trouble with delivery. In other words, if the message has an outlook.com From address it should be sent using Microsoft outlook/hotmail servers.

You will not find anyone here who will assist you in sending unsolicited bulk messages. I'm not suggesting that you are, but any time someone is trying to hide their IP it can appear suspicious. Reputable email sending servers which do not place the sender IP address in the headers usually include an encrypted header which that service can use to determine the sender IP if the message is determined to be spam or otherwise illegal.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2016, 02:10 PM   #3
just1acc
Essential Contributor

1. Zoho
2. Gmail
3. EuMX
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2016, 01:59 AM   #4
slow

I was using Yandex and experienced bounced messages from AOL. Failure of delivery and getting notifications 3-4 days later.

This is for normal personal, messages to one person. It could be that it's some AOL garbage (I don't know why people use it) or maybe the messages from that domain are interpreted as spam. I am not sure.

My concern is mostly privacy. I have no interest in bulk messaging. google, microsoft, apple and similar would not make sense as they are not interested in user privacy, quite the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Mail sent from many free email providers (especially small ones) will have a higher likelihood of being marked as spam by nearly all email service. Mail sent using email clients usually contains the IP address of the sender device. Mail sent using webmail sometimes does not include the sender device IP, but this depends on the email service. I think that Gmail is the only large free email provider who does not include the source device IP in webmail. Of course, Gmail tracks your IP, but I don't believe they place it openly in the headers (at least if you send using their web interface).

You will have to use a reputable provider who includes proper DKIM and SPF features to reliably send to major email providers. And if you send through a server not specified by the domain owner (such as using DMARC records) you may have trouble with delivery. In other words, if the message has an outlook.com From address it should be sent using Microsoft outlook/hotmail servers.

You will not find anyone here who will assist you in sending unsolicited bulk messages. I'm not suggesting that you are, but any time someone is trying to hide their IP it can appear suspicious. Reputable email sending servers which do not place the sender IP address in the headers usually include an encrypted header which that service can use to determine the sender IP if the message is determined to be spam or otherwise illegal.

Bill
Old 29 Dec 2016, 02:01 AM   #5
slow

Thank you. I am familiar with those.
Since I am concerned with privacy only eumx would make sense.
I am interested in free providers that do not collect a lot of user data and protect users' privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1acc View Post
1. Zoho
2. Gmail
3. EuMX
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:08 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
I was using Yandex and experienced bounced messages from AOL. Failure of delivery and getting notifications 3-4 days later.

This is for normal personal, messages to one person. It could be that it's some AOL garbage (I don't know why people use it) or maybe the messages from that domain are interpreted as spam. I am not sure...
Sending email to AOL is an aggravating problem. AOL seems to have an incoming mail filter which silently discards messages using mysterious algorithms which make little sense. If your email address is not in a recipient's AOL address book, sending them an email may be difficult.

If you meant that you received a failure of delivery report and follow-up messages for several days, that is an unusual case. Can you post the contents of the delivery failure messages, with the actual email addresses and other private information munged (changed)?

Bill
Old 29 Dec 2016, 07:48 PM   #7
slow

The user is older and not tech savvy; using AOL for ever and unlikey to switch. I don't know if he'll be capable of adding to whitelist. I'll try.

The errors occur intermittently. Sometimes the message goes through. If it does not, there is no immediate notification of failure. About 3-4 days later a message of this kind appears

This is the mail system at host yandex.ru...

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

Diagnostic-Code: X-Yandex; delivery temporarily suspended: host
mailin-04.mx.aol.com[152.163.0.68] refused to talk to me: 554- (RTR:BL)
https://postmaster.aol.com/error-codes#554rtrbl 554 Connecting IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Sending email to AOL is an aggravating problem. AOL seems to have an incoming mail filter which silently discards messages using mysterious algorithms which make little sense. If your email address is not in a recipient's AOL address book, sending them an email may be difficult.

If you meant that you received a failure of delivery report and follow-up messages for several days, that is an unusual case. Can you post the contents of the delivery failure messages, with the actual email addresses and other private information munged (changed)?

Bill
OR

Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mailin-04.mx.aol.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <XXXXXXX@aol.com>: Recipient address
rejected: aol.com
Old 29 Dec 2016, 08:00 PM   #8
slow

aol whitelist

According to this article
https://www.thebalance.com/how-do-i-...in-aol-3515039
If the user is using webmail and responds to me, I'd automatically be in the white list.

Is this correct?

In the headers of his message, I see
X-MB-Message-Source: WebUI
Old 30 Dec 2016, 03:06 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
... This is the mail system at host yandex.ru...
I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.
Diagnostic-Code: X-Yandex; delivery temporarily suspended: host
mailin-04.mx.aol.com[152.163.0.68] refused to talk to me: 554- (RTR:BL)
https://postmaster.aol.com/error-codes#554rtrbl 554 Connecting IP:
If you click that link, it shows that AOL rejected the sending system IP as an insecure sender. An internet search shows that at least one list blocks that IP, but AOL has their internal lists which we can't check. Many free providers get signups from spammers so their IP's get blocked from time to time. Russian IP locations such as from this email provider might be less likely to keep off of the AOL bad list.
Quote:
...Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mailin-04.mx.aol.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.1.1 <XXXXXXX@aol.com>: Recipient address
rejected: aol.com
That code indicates that either you are using the wrong address at aol.com or the AOL system refuses to accept messages

Bill
Old 30 Dec 2016, 03:17 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
..If the user is using webmail and responds to me, I'd automatically be in the white list.
Is this correct?...
Yes, that's how I believe it works at AOL. But that's the user spam filter, not the insecure email server block. If AOL gets a lot of spam from those IP's, they will prevent connections to their incoming email servers from yandex.ru.

Bill
Old 31 Dec 2016, 08:31 PM   #11
slow

So, taking all this into account. What are some free providers that would avoid these issues.

The idea is that my privacy is respected while at the same time I don't run into delivery problems.
Old 1 Jan 2017, 08:02 AM   #12
Cory
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1acc View Post
1. Zoho
2. Gmail
3. EuMX
Gmail puts your IP in the header.
Cory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jan 2017, 08:34 AM   #13
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Gmail puts your IP in the header.
That is only true if you send using an email client. Google webmail does not insert your IP address in the headers. If you try this yourself, you will see that the IP addresses in the received message belong to internal and external Google addresses, not yours.

Bill