EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 18 Feb 2006, 04:42 PM   #1
pine

Free Online Notepad

Hello,
Is there some server app that I could run on linux that is something like the OnlineHomeBase.com or ournotepad.com or netnotebook.net?

An online notepad thing with possibility to create many notes and editable too? OHB kind of thing would be great. Atleast some app with basic OHB features but a free one. I knew there was one but wasn't able to get thru google.

And it would be really very great if clients like emacs can access it somehow.

Only if there was some OHB app (maybe Marc Fest could port his app) for linux, selling it for one time payment and limited no. of users or just free for one user, that would have been nice of him.

Regards,
pine
pine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:04 AM   #2
Gankaku

I've given up on OnlineHomebase because I never got support questions answered, even as a paying user. That alarmed me and I stopped subscribing to his service. What's worse is that after my paid service went back to free the account is locked out of doing stuff that free accounts have access to. So I've had to abandon my account.

I dumped all my stuff in a wiki. It's not as nice cut and paste wise - just dump and go - it's a tiny bit more hands on but i'm feeling comfortable keeping my stuff in one.
Gankaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2006, 05:13 PM   #3
rishi
Essential Contributor

Have you tried Writely ?
rishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2006, 06:12 AM   #4
nomad
Essential Contributor

I use wikis too. A very simple but good wiki:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikirootry/

A more advancec wiki
http://www.pmwiki.org/

But often, saving a note as draft on in your email acount may be sufficient
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2006, 07:14 PM   #5
pine

Online Notepads

Quote:
Originally posted by nomad
I use wikis too. A very simple but good wiki:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikirootry/

A more advancec wiki
http://www.pmwiki.org/

But often, saving a note as draft on in your email acount may be sufficient
Thanks for these links. I'm trying writly and it seems nice. EMail draft wouldn't be enough at time when you have very less time and need to quickly jot down something urgently at someone else's computer. I need something quick, something like the linux command echo "my text here" >> newfile.txt

Something of this sort. I've tried jot.com but couldn't see my pages.

Gankaku: How do you use the wiki, couldyou please detail a bit?

Regards
pine
Old 24 Feb 2006, 09:23 PM   #6
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Re: Online Notepads

Quote:
Originally posted by pine
... I need something quick, something like the linux command echo "my text here" >> newfile.txt

Something of this sort. ...
Something like the unix command
echo "my text here" | mail myaddress@mydomain ?

Anything that allows you to save notes should have you login to save the note to avoid abuse (except for email that lets anyone append a message to your mailbox, so no need to login, and very open to abuse which we all know very well...)

Edit: a freeshell.org shell account would allow this functionality (after telneting and loging in...)

Last edited by hadaso : 24 Feb 2006 at 09:42 PM.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2006, 09:29 PM   #7
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Gankaku
I've given up on OnlineHomebase ... the account is locked out of doing stuff that free accounts have access to.
I never had a paid OHB account, but the free account I had lost functionality a long time ago. It's impossible to change the reminders but the old recuring ones are still coming (so I still get Birthday notifications for some family members on the day of the occasion when it is too late to think of a present...).
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2006, 03:45 PM   #8
pine

Re: Re: Online Notepads

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
Something like the unix command
echo "my text here" | mail myaddress@mydomain ?

Anything that allows you to save notes should have you login to save the note to avoid abuse (except for email that lets anyone append a message to your mailbox, so no need to login, and very open to abuse which we all know very well...)

Edit: a freeshell.org shell account would allow this functionality (after telneting and loging in...)
Email could be fine on a shell account but managing the notes/bookmarks would become a problem with that. Instead, an OHB "note" functionality like thing is nice and being able to send an email to an OHB page instead of new email to ourselves everytime. I've started using writely and it has this kind of limited functionality it seems, tho not sure if it's possible to email and add content in to the pages tho.

I once had something in my Vim that acted like notes/reminders but can't figure out what was it's name, maybe I could get a shell account and use vim instead. Ssh is available everywhere wherever I am on the move.

Still I'd like Gankaku to tell about how she manages her notes with a wiki, and others too.

Regards,
pine
Old 25 Feb 2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Gankaku

Re: Online Notepads

Quote:
Originally posted by pine
Gankaku: How do you use the wiki, couldyou please detail a bit?
Sure pine, I'd be happy to elaborate.

You can use wikis for so many many things. If you take a look at Fastmaiil's wiki you can see that a wiki can be used to organize tons of information.

If you use it on the personal level, you an organize everything from notes to projects.

It's a little more different from OHB. In OHB you could just copy+paste stuff onto an OHB page and then just hit the save button. It made things tons and tons easier because the way OHB was written it would copy the HTML for you, so all the links and formatting would stay intact. That was the really nice thing about OHB.

With wikis, if you want a new page you have to make one, then get into that page and edit it to drop in some information. And then if you want a quick copy and paste - it's just text that goes in. However, if you want to keep the formatting intact you'd need to copy the HTML of that page. If you're using firefox there's a right click and copy the code, I think. Using FF would make it easier to get your data into a wiki.

If you're just using your wiki for textual notes to yourself, it might be easier to use like, stickies, or one of the online notepads. However, if you like to have all your notes in one place, and sometimes you like to keep lists which might have more information within, wikis can be nice to use.

Mostly I use my wiki for personal notes - stuff I find off the internet that I want to keep; color settings I like to use when I do my web pages; lists of things I want to buy listed by books I want to read, music I want to purchase, etc. I also have several pages that contain game links - I like certain games and I collect and document useful links for each game and explain what those links contain so I can find them easily next time. (bookmarking doesn't allow you to freely type whatever you want next to your link, and visually scan for your link on a page).
Old 25 Feb 2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Gankaku

Quote:
Originally posted by hadaso
I never had a paid OHB account, but the free account I had lost functionality a long time ago. It's impossible to change the reminders but the old recuring ones are still coming (so I still get Birthday notifications for some family members on the day of the occasion when it is too late to think of a present...).
That's ashame. It's a good program and a good site. I think Marc's expanded into other areas; maybe he lost interest in keeping up OHB?...
Old 6 Mar 2006, 02:01 PM   #11
pine

Re: Re: Online Notepads

Quote:
Sure pine, I'd be happy to elaborate.

You can use wikis for so many many things. If you take a look at Fastmaiil's wiki you can see that a wiki can be used to organize tons of information.

If you use it on the personal level, you an organize everything from notes to projects.

It's a little more different from OHB. In OHB you could just copy+paste stuff onto an OHB page and then just hit the save button. It made things tons and tons easier because the way OHB was written it would copy the HTML for you, so all the links and formatting would stay intact. That was the really nice thing about OHB.

With wikis, if you want a new page you have to make one, then get into that page and edit it to drop in some information. And then if you want a quick copy and paste - it's just text that goes in. However, if you want to keep the formatting intact you'd need to copy the HTML of that page. If you're using firefox there's a right click and copy the code, I think. Using FF would make it easier to get your data into a wiki.

If you're just using your wiki for textual notes to yourself, it might be easier to use like, stickies, or one of the online notepads. However, if you like to have all your notes in one place, and sometimes you like to keep lists which might have more information within, wikis can be nice to use.

Mostly I use my wiki for personal notes - stuff I find off the internet that I want to keep; color settings I like to use when I do my web pages; lists of things I want to buy listed by books I want to read, music I want to purchase, etc. I also have several pages that contain game links - I like certain games and I collect and document useful links for each game and explain what those links contain so I can find them easily next time. (bookmarking doesn't allow you to freely type whatever you want next to your link, and visually scan for your link on a page).
Thanks a lot for this info. Can you give some example link about this other than FM? I'd like to use a wiki to organize my personal info too. I have used Texnotes but would like to do similar things (especially the tabbed notebook funtion) with a wiki if possible.

I am using writely and like it's features and i love the email feature. Using pine, I'm able to email to a writely email address (a long one though), and whatever I send, I get as a document in writely. Only I do not know yet, how to view it without logging in to writely after publishing it.

OHB note feature I do miss but this is free after all. I found one more such free site but it's as good and is slow - http://www.syncnotes.com

Regards,
pine
Old 10 Mar 2006, 10:15 AM   #12
Gankaku

Well I can't give you access to my personal wiki since it's p/w protected. However, you can go to my game wiki at http://kitteadesigns.pbwiki.com. You can also browse others' wikis if you access the pbwiki home page. I suppose you can do the same on any wiki site.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 07:37 PM   #13
pine

Quote:
Well I can't give you access to my personal wiki since it's p/w protected. However, you can go to my game wiki at http://kitteadesigns.pbwiki.com. You can also browse others' wikis if you access the pbwiki home page. I suppose you can do the same on any wiki site.
I'd nt ask the password, but I'd also like to password-protect the wiki I use. The one you use that is password protected, where do you host that wiki? Or is it commercial one? And how do you password-protect it?

Regatrds,
pine

P.S.: Thanks for the pbwiki link .
Old 10 Mar 2006, 11:16 PM   #14
jrafter
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rishi
Have you tried Writely ?
By the way, Writely has very recently been taken over by Google.
jrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2006, 03:41 PM   #15
pine

Quote:
Originally posted by jrafter
By the way, Writely has very recently been taken over by Google.

WOW! GreaT news jrafer! Does a mean more spaCe on wriTely?

Regards
pine