EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Tracing country of origin through IP?

Is it possible for me to be able to trace the country of origin of an email I was sent to on one of my gmail accounts? I know how to read the headers, so I have the IP and other relevant information. I did try to google this info and they said the address is private so cannot be accessed. I don't need to know the address, I just want to know the country. Can someone please tell me if this is possible? Thanks for all replies.

Susan
SusanUKF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:00 PM   #2
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Go to http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ and enter the IP address you want to trace. The result is usually accurate to the nearest city, but sometimes it can be quite far off, so you should take it with a grain of salt.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks for the fast reply. I had already tried that, and got this error:

Sorry. This IP address could not be resolved to its location. Please try another IP address.

That is why I asked here, since the EMDer's are pro emailers!

Thank you for your help though, I just wanted to know which country it is from.

Susan
Old 12 Aug 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

You could try using dnssstuff.com. Click on the question mark, next to 'ip information' for more info.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2012, 01:41 PM   #5
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Just remembered your previous remark:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanUKF View Post
they said the address is private so cannot be accessed
Does the IP address begin with 10, 172.(between 16 and 31), or 192.168? If so, it's a private IP assigned by the sender's router. You need to ignore it and find an IP that isn't private.

Beware that some e-mail service providers automatically hide the sender's true IP address, to protect their customers' privacy. Many webmail services also use the web server's internal IP address instead, which is utterly meaningless to anyone outside of the company. As a result, it is usually not possible to determine the true IP address of a Gmail or FastMail user if they used webmail instead of SMTP. All you're going to get is the web server's location.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2012, 10:02 PM   #6
davy51
Master of the @

Some Ip addresses from foreign country's wont show on a normal ip check
sometimes you have to use these to find it

Americas (ARIN) | Europe (RIPE) | Asia-Pacific (APNIC) | Africa (AfriNIC) | Latin American and Caribbean (LACNIC) | Asia-Pacific (APNIC) | Korea (KRNIC)

I use this page here and usually it will get me close to where it is

http://is.gd/yMRlcl
davy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2012, 04:25 AM   #7
SusanUKF
Intergalactic Postmaster

Thanks everyone for all the replies! I tried all of the suggestions, and the one that worked was the site davy51 posted. Thanks so much to everyone for your prompt replies, I booked marked all three sites. The result is the email is from London, England (the vicinity thereof). Tiscali UK Ltd. ISP.

The number did begin with a 10, but I also had another IP from a fastmail that I was pretty sure was from the same company, and I knew that one was out of England, so this has confirmed it all. Thanks!

Susan