EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Jul 2019, 09:11 PM   #1
misc
Essential Contributor

New misleading warning message in Trah folder

Hi there,

seems like Fastmail has implemented a warning message in auto-deleted folders like Trash. The notice says

"Items in Trash for more than X days will be automatically deleted"

That’s not true, is it? Actually, the rule is "Items in Trash which are older than X days will be automatically deleted within the next 24 hours". For auto-delete it dosn’t matter when I put the message in Trash but only when I received it.

Could be dangerous for people who rely on messages being kept in Trash folder for the set time.
misc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Jul 2019, 08:48 AM   #2
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks for the observation - I hadn't seen that notice before.

And I think your take on it is correct - possibly could be misleading.
Also, pinned messages don't get auto-deleted.

Maybe raise a ticket?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2019, 12:52 PM   #3
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

There's a similar message in all folders you created and flagged to delete items older than x days.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jul 2019, 01:58 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

According to the help system for folders:
Quote:
Auto-purge - Automatically delete messages after they have been in the folder for a certain amount of time, from 1 day to 1 year. Pinned messages are never deleted.
That says nothing about the time the message was sent or received. It says "after they have been in the folder for a certain amount of time", which is very clear to me. I have always interpreted this just as it is written, so that I expect the action of moving a message into an auto-purge folder starting the timer.

When you add the auto-purge property to a folder, the user interface clearly states that only unpinned messages are deleted.

I have created a folder with a 14 day auto-purge property. I moved messages received in 2005 into that folder. They are not immediately purged. I will wait a couple of days and see if the are still there. My guess is that the will be there for 14 days after they were moved to that folder.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 13 Jul 2019 at 02:03 PM.
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2019, 10:45 PM   #5
misc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I have created a folder with a 14 day auto-purge property. I moved messages received in 2005 into that folder. They are not immediately purged. I will wait a couple of days and see if the are still there. My guess is that the will be there for 14 days after they were moved to that folder.
Hi Bill,

I did a similar testing, and in my case, the message was gone the next day. What’s the result in your case, is the message still there?

Cheers,
Michael
Old 23 Jul 2019, 05:58 PM   #6
misc
Essential Contributor

After doing another test, I can confirm that for me the auto-purge works exactly like I described above and that the notice shown is lying. :-)

I put two one-year-old mail in trash and pinned one of them. My trash folder has set an auto-purge interval of seven days. The next day the unpinned mail was gone, the pinned one was still there.

So to me it seems like Fastmail is scanning all auto-purge folders once a day for mails that are older than the time set for deletion, no matter when the mail has been put into the folder. Pinned messages aren’t deleted at all.

I’ve raised a ticket about that – let’s see what will happen…