EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Jun 2014, 05:39 AM   #1
labarum
Essential Contributor

Disable Archive

I don't want the archive function. Can it be disabled?

I don't use Fastmail often on a tablet or a phone and I get rather alarmed to see that a swipe of my finger has dispatched a mail or a whole thread to a another place. I want it exactly where I want it!
labarum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jun 2014, 01:44 PM   #2
cyberpear

I also would like to be able to disable swiping actions in the phone interface. I've never used it on purpose, and every time, I have had to undo the action. I've been using the phone interface since it was released to beta, and I've never liked the swiping actions. (If I could specify what actions swiping would take, that would be a much better option, but an option of disabling them would suffice.) (I'm one of the weird ones who never deletes email, and who keeps everything in INBOX; I use imapflags to sort my mail, not folders.)
cyberpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2014, 02:18 PM   #3
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpear View Post
(I'm one of the weird ones who never deletes email, and who keeps everything in INBOX; I use imapflags to sort my mail, not folders.)
And I never use INBOX. Mails are delivered directly into folders by sub domain addressing or brute force filtering. Should the Fastmail team be surprised they have such customers?

(Where do I read about applying imapflags?)

Anyway, these new fangled ways which the iPhone generation love are an irritation for some users and should be configurable. Flexibility, configurability and fancy-free operation is why many of us came to Fastmail years ago.

Please, can I turn the swipes off? I find them a most dangerous innovation.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 05:03 PM   #4
me0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post

Please, can I turn the swipes off? I find them a most dangerous innovation.
Like iPhones are a dangerous innovation too?
me0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2014, 05:50 PM   #5
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by me0000 View Post
Like iPhones are a dangerous innovation too?
I quite like iPhones, thought I have an Android phone. Why I have an Android Phone or an Android Tablet I am not quite sure, as almost all my computing is done on a Chromebook.

An un-smart phone would probably suite me better. I only carry it for emergencies and the occasional call when I loose my wife when shopping. Retirement bliss!

But swipes that do the unexpected (for me) are indeed a dangerous innovation, and I would like the option to turn them off.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 12:52 AM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarum View Post
But swipes that do the unexpected (for me) are indeed a dangerous innovation, and I would like the option to turn them off.
Am I reading it correctly? Do you want Fastmail to disable a function on your iPhone?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2014, 01:03 AM   #7
labarum
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Am I reading it correctly? Do you want Fastmail to disable a function on your iPhone?
No, no, no.

I haven't got an iPhone. I have an Android phone and an Android Tablet.

I want the freedom to disable the swipe features in the Fastmail small screen interface so that, this clumsy fingered oaf who doesn't used Android enough to know what he is doing is in no danger of dumping important threads from dedicated folders into Archive which will fill with junk.