EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 6 May 2017, 06:54 AM   #316
TenFour
Master of the @

Repeating, but why not just move on if you don't like FM? Personally, I would argue that taking them to court would be more painful than lucrative (you have to prove actual harm and loss of money to gain anything, if you win). I suspect a court case is unlikely to go anywhere. Maybe you just want a moral victory, but it will cost you.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 02:23 AM   #317
evilquoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio8 View Post
There are people in this thread threatening a class action lawsuit because they $15 spent 15 years ago and want lifetime email? 15 years in internet time is a lifetime. You got lucky paying only a $1 a year for a great service. Now let's move on and stop being ridiculous.

Please appreciate that Fastmail has found a sustainable business model and is still around unlike many other things purchased that long ago.
If this forum were running up-to-date forum software, I would have "liked" this post. As someone who once had a "lifetime" Bigfoot account (in their case, "lifetime" turned out to mean five years), I know what you're talking about.
evilquoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 02:40 AM   #318
evilquoll

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownb2 View Post
[...]3. Are FMs funds so bad they're charging for 16MB accounts they could probably hold on a USB stick?
Do you have any idea what it takes to run a professional, reliable email service? Anyone who tries to run such a service off ordinary domestic-grade or office-grade storage, such as USB sticks(!), is setting themselves up for catastrophic failure; to get reliability needs enterprise-grade storage (RAID drives; RAID-capable hard drives, as anyone knows who has set up an NAS drive for their own use, are made to higher quality standards than ordinary PC drives and are consequentially more expensive) and at least double redundancy (every account stored on two, if not more, different RAID drives). I have just built myself a RAID drive consisting of a ReadyNAS 214 (about £270) and 4*10Tb hard drives (£414 each). Total cost nearly £2000, for a capacity (with built-in RAID5 redundancy) of 27Tb -- which I doubt would hold more than a small fraction of Fastmail's current customer base.
Old 11 May 2017, 05:42 AM   #319
thisisnotgood

Yes...true but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilquoll View Post
Fastmail still differ from Yahoo and Google in one crucial respect; you can be simultaneously logged-in to two accounts at the same time on the same computer. Although this will soon cease to be relevant to me, as I am letting my Guest account expire as I no longer use it much.
I have had up to three GMail accounts/email open at the same time. I just use different browsers for each. Chrome, Firefox, IE. I also keep the Chrome browser open all the time as I have the Hangouts/Google Voice open all the time to answer calls and texts.

It's funny, I don't care if Google uses my "information" to target me with supposed relevant ads. If that's how they want to make money off me I have nothing to hide, as I am a law abiding citizen and well respected in my community. Anyway, I don't see their ads as every one is blocked promptly with the best ad blockers accordingly.
thisisnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 06:42 AM   #320
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
It's funny, I don't care if Google uses my "information" to target me with supposed relevant ads. If that's how they want to make money off me I have nothing to hide, as I am a law abiding citizen and well respected in my community. Anyway, I don't see their ads as every one is blocked promptly with the best ad blockers accordingly.
I basically agree, though I do find the loss of privacy doesn't feel "right" to me. Take a look at your location history, for example. They have a record of everyplace you go and use it apparently for various reasons. I have my location history turned off, but many don't. Just suppose that someone hacks into your Gmail account, logs into your account settings, and then can find exactly where you go each day and when and wants to use that information for nefarious purposes? Also, I suspect the ad targeting extends way beyond what you see on the Internet. We have all read about expectant mothers who mysteriously start getting information in the mail with free samples of diapers and such. How long before your searches for information on heart problems are sold to your employer or your insurance company, if they are not being sold already?
Old 11 May 2017, 07:37 AM   #321
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
I'm a law abiding citizen, but if my email is at Google, they know my mortgage info, my travel schedule, my back account balances, my investment statements, my children's addresses, where I go, when I go there, what I buy, all my receipts, etc. Google is a master at monetizing my personal information.

My feeling is that no one has a right to that information but me.

Also, no government is forever. We've seen other countries adopt policies that certain behaviours once legal, are now considered repressive, hate speech, politically offensive, etc. Etc. Etc. Times change, and laws change. Who knows, what I do today could be illegal tomorrow. Venezuela, the most affluent country in South America, became communist and suddenly people who had supported the opposing party were now dissidents.

I'd like to keep my information private, thank you very much.

Wanna have some fun and get freaked out at the same time? Research the company acxiom, the biggest name in personal data aggregation, you've never heard of. They aggregate real world and digital world data, into an accurate picture of who you are.

I'm not wearing Tin foil hats, I just want my privacy.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 07:44 AM   #322
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I'm not wearing Tin foil hats, I just want my privacy.
HEAR! HEAR! I second the motion!
joe_devore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 07:57 AM   #323
TenFour
Master of the @

Of course, all this tracking is good for a laugh or two it is so inept. A friend of mine was looking for a new toilet for his home and saw nothing but ads for toilets for days, even after he had purchased one. I have been tempted to turn back on much of the Google tracking that I have turned off because instead of seeing somewhat targeted ads instead I seem to get the dregs of the advertising world--the stuff they have to get rid of--ads for various creams that will do something for various body parts, pictures of lovely young twins that want to meet me, pharmaceutical products from other countries that are illegal where I live, etc.
Old 11 May 2017, 08:14 AM   #324
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Of course, all this tracking is good for a laugh or two it is so inept. A friend of mine was looking for a new toilet for his home and saw nothing but ads for toilets for days, even after he had purchased one. I have been tempted to turn back on much of the Google tracking that I have turned off because instead of seeing somewhat targeted ads instead I seem to get the dregs of the advertising world--the stuff they have to get rid of--ads for various creams that will do something for various body parts, pictures of lovely young twins that want to meet me, pharmaceutical products from other countries that are illegal where I live, etc.
Joe, check out Facebook and the ad preferences they have for you. I was shocked. They had politics, likes, dislikes, personality, everything about me pegged. Facebook sells that data (user identifiable) to companies like acxiom. Acxiom sells it to companies who want to predict your behaviour... The toilet stuff is funny. This was disturbing. I shut down Facebook when I saw what they knew and how they we're using the data..

Again, no tin foil hats. I just want my privacy. That's why I'm sticking with fastmail.
Old 11 May 2017, 08:16 AM   #325
evilquoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
A friend of mine was looking for a new toilet for his home and saw nothing but ads for toilets for days, even after he had purchased one.
One reason why I for one never buy anything from online ads — and I don't know why some sites scream at me for using AdBlocker, since I'm only going to ignore their rubbish even if I do see it.

It baffles me why Amazon in particular believes that I want to buy again something I've just purchased, even if it's a one-off item such as a CD (OK, I could perhaps lose it or have it stolen, but so soon after purchase?), or once-in-a-blue-moon items such as hard drives (there are only so many any one person can use at once).
Old 11 May 2017, 08:21 AM   #326
evilquoll

Regarding Farcebook, I have an account but only for when I have absolutely no other means of contact. It has the bare minimum of information (just my name, not even a profile pic; I had one, a character from a web cartoon, but those twits took it down), and the account doesn't make or accept "friend" requests (any that arrive at my FM account get silently rejected, that address accepts notifications only).
Old 11 May 2017, 08:23 AM   #327
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Joe, check out Facebook and the ad preferences they have for you. I was shocked.
I'm not "Joe," but in any case FB doesn't have much on me because I barely use it--only so I can connect to some other things I need occasionally. Personally, I hate FB! Wouldn't use it at all if I didn't need it for work.
Old 11 May 2017, 08:33 AM   #328
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

lol yeah I see lots of ads on Facebook,
for instance I see Amazon.com ads for stuff I recently searched...

plus I was searching a possibly getting my first smartphone....

so I looked at... AT&T and CredoMobile...
both had pros and cons but for now I will stick with my free SafeLink phone for now...

and now I see AT&T ads for the new Samsung Galaxy S7 lol
Old 11 May 2017, 08:49 AM   #329
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_devore View Post
lol yeah I see lots of ads on Facebook,
for instance I see Amazon.com ads for stuff I recently searched...

plus I was searching a possibly getting my first smartphone....

so I looked at... AT&T and CredoMobile...
both had pros and cons but for now I will stick with my free SafeLink phone for now...

and now I see AT&T ads for the new Samsung Galaxy S7 lol
It's not the ads, but the info they track. Facebook calls it ads preferences, but you can actually see the extensive profile they've created on you.... Crazy.
Old 11 May 2017, 09:02 AM   #330
joe_devore
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
It's not the ads, but the info they track. Facebook calls it ads preferences, but you can actually see the extensive profile they've created on you.... Crazy.
MMhuh lol yup..