EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Jul 2019, 07:52 PM   #31
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Just stumbled into a subtle case of why a user might want to be given the choice of POP vs. IMAP fetch. Some email services provide different options when accessing them as POP vs. IMAP. I said "some" but my only example of what I have access to is gmail.

In gmail's Forwarding & POP/IMAP settings they have a "When messages are accessed with POP" setting to allow a number of ways to treat the fetched email. For example you can cause it to be marked as read (which is how I stumbled into this). There is no such choices for IMAP and marking the fetched email as read on the FM side does not mark it in gmail.

In some of my other test accounts (zoho, outlook/hotmail) they don't have such options. But that's still no reason FM should give the user the choice: POP or IMAP fetch.

Last edited by xyzzy : 3 Jul 2019 at 08:00 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2019, 11:58 AM   #32
Grhm
Essential Contributor

This comparison
https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/imapvspop.html
indicates that Fastmail believe IMAP to be superior to POP in every way, in all circumstances.
...which could explain why they have decided no longer to give us the choice.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2019, 01:00 PM   #33
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
This comparison
https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/imapvspop.html
indicates that Fastmail believe IMAP to be superior to POP in every way, in all circumstances.
Historically, FastMail has stressed that, while IMAP is a good migration tool, it is not suitable for incremental retrieval of new emails.

I actually do not think FastMail now has changed their mind of this. According to https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/migratemail.html they now recommend using forwarding from the other service to FastMail after the initial migration has been done. That is actually what I have been doing for years. However, I have recently found that forwarding can in some cases be problematic. Sometimes, spam checks do not work well on forwarded messages. That can make POP retrieval necessary occasionally where forwarding was always better in the past.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2019, 02:29 PM   #34
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
It's so nice of them to make that decision for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
...they now recommend using forwarding from the other service to FastMail after the initial migration has been done. That is actually what I have been doing for years.
While I have a Mail Fetch for my yahoo account I turned it off and switched it to forwarding only because the periodic fetches from the yahoo servers failed around 30% of the time (didn't actually keep statistics) and it might take a number of retries before a fetch succeeded. Yahoo servers are crap. Forward is more timely anyhow. Stuff comes across as soon as it enters the other service and not when FM fetches it or when I cause it to refresh.

In my cases I don't want stuff from those other servers being spam filtered over what those servers deem as spam and put in their own spam folders.

Last edited by xyzzy : 11 Jul 2019 at 02:43 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2019, 01:46 AM   #35
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Historically, FastMail has stressed that, while IMAP is a good migration tool, it is not suitable for incremental retrieval of new emails.
I didn't read their advice that way. Certainly the previous incarnation of Fastmail's IMAP tool wasn't suitable for regular fetching, but I got the impression that was a shortcoming of their implementation rather than of the IMAP protocol itself.

Last edited by Grhm : 12 Jul 2019 at 01:51 AM.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote