EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 1 Oct 2007, 01:13 AM   #1
Mechant Loup

New IMAP server schedule

There has been a test version of the new IMAP server available for "quite some time." When will the new server be implemented for production and the issues with the current implementation solved?

Thanks.
Mechant Loup is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Oct 2007, 07:37 AM   #2
ltwally

I too would like to know.

bump.
ltwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 03:56 AM   #3
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Good news: We've just recently resumed work on the new IMAP server after finding a developer with experience both with Courier and the Runbox system.

We hope to have something testable ready shortly...

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 03:06 AM   #4
che

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geir View Post
Good news: We've just recently resumed work on the new IMAP server
So the previous 2-3 years you were just fooling your paying customers!? Funny!
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 03:27 AM   #5
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
So the previous 2-3 years you were just fooling your paying customers!?
Yes, and the alternative server we worked on for one of those years, which is accessible on port 1143, is just an illusion!

Seriously -- we have been working on a new IMAP server on and off for a long time, as is plain to see from the numerous threads here in this forum. The most recent attempt to patch an open source IMAP server for use with the Runbox system met some hurdles a few weeks ago and work has recently picked up speed again. That's what I meant with "resumed".

We now have well-founded hope that a new server, based on Courier (similar to the current, default server) will be ready for testing within a few weeks.

- Geir
Old 19 Oct 2007, 03:48 AM   #6
graemeb

Quote:
We now have well-founded hope that a new server, based on Courier (similar to the current, default server) will be ready for testing within a few weeks.

- Geir
Good to hear!

I had held out hope that the recent upgrades would have improved the IMAP performance, but it still feels very sluggish to me (and downloading large emails or many small emails still doesn't use my full available bandwidth, so I assume that something at the Runbox end is capping this). The upgrades did make a difference (it was taking up to 5 minutes to check for new emails before), but it's still pretty slow for me right now (checking for new email and downloading existing mails).

Thanks,
Graeme.
graemeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 03:56 AM   #7
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
To add to what Geir said, the "test version" of the IMAP server on port 1143 was the DBMail IMAP server which seemed to be a good fit with the Runbox system since it's also database centered. Unfortunately testing has shown that server to be too unstable (e.g. having to restart it frequetly).

The DBMail server is and has been running for some time now however it was never taken out of "test" status because of these issues.

After some discussion it was decided to return to a more recent version of the Courier IMAP server. An added benefit of this should be the support for the IDLE command, which is supported by current Courier servers but was not supported by DBMail.

As Geir indicated, we now have someone familiar with Courier and Runbox systems who is working on the update of the Courier server.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Dec 2007, 11:55 PM   #8
che

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverrn View Post

As Geir indicated, we now have someone familiar with Courier and Runbox systems who is working on the update of the Courier server.
I still get

* OK Runbox IMAP (protocol version 4r1), powered by dbmail server 2.0.9 ready to run

Any news on this topic? I mean how many months/years do you guys need to setup an imap server? Is there a chance that I can use Runbox again anytime soon?
Old 4 Dec 2007, 04:21 AM   #9
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We're currently setting up a new development environment much better suited for developing and patching applications. Meanwhile work on the new IMAP server is continuing, and there has been made significant progress. We have an experienced programmer on this project and should be able to move from internal testing to open beta within weeks.

- Geir
Old 3 Jan 2008, 03:55 AM   #10
graemeb

Quote:
We have an experienced programmer on this project and should be able to move from internal testing to open beta within weeks.
- Geir
*cough* How many weeks? And happy new year!

The current IMAP server is like wading through treacle at times. I use Thunderbird 2.x, but interact with 2 other IMAP servers which respond much more quickly when it comes to downloading or deleting messages. All my email goes via 1and1.com (since I bought the domain with them, and wanted their IMAP mailbox as a backup for those times when runbox was down, which was common at the time) - their IMAP service is much faster, and I'm basically looking at the same mail as is stored at Runbox. Their spam filter misses a lot of stuff that Runbox catches, however. Equally, the IMAP server at work is very responsive, even when I'm accessing it from home using VPN. Thunderbird can only shoulder so much of the blame when other IMAP servers are okay

I don't download the full body of the message and cache it locally - too many instances of Thunderbird deciding it needs to redownload everything again, which locks it up for the better part of 10-15 minutes

Thanks
Graeme.
graemeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2008, 06:44 AM   #11
che

It seems that a lot of people are willing to pay for broken services. So why change/fix it? I don't understand why people trust in a company that is not capable fix/upgrade their bl***y IMAP server for years! Well, you get what you pay for. I don't expect a solution within 2008! ;-)
Old 14 Jan 2008, 03:57 AM   #12
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
The new IMAP server is currently in closed beta testing and is looking good. As soon as we've corrected known problems we will move to open testing.

- Geir

PS: Yes, it supports IDLE.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 09:38 PM   #13
marc_otten
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
It seems that a lot of people are willing to pay for broken services. So why change/fix it? I don't understand why people trust in a company that is not capable fix/upgrade their bl***y IMAP server for years! Well, you get what you pay for. I don't expect a solution within 2008! ;-)
So, if I understand you correctly: you want the Runbox-staff to install an IMAP-server that has shown severe errors during tests? So that - after installation - you can complain about the buggy IMAP-server? That's sort of a self-fullfilling prophecy, isn't it?

I don't think that the process of upgrading is taking (too) long, but that the plans for the upgrade were published too early..

--Marc
marc_otten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 06:15 AM   #14
che

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_otten View Post
So, if I understand you correctly: you want the Runbox-staff to install an IMAP-server that has shown severe errors during tests? So that - after installation - you can complain about the buggy IMAP-server? That's sort of a self-fullfilling prophecy, isn't it?
Blablabla ... four years for upgrading an IMAP server is a joke, isn't it?
Don't tamper with the code if you don't have a clue.
Well, let's see if they can make it in 2008. But they have known problems which can take a while to fix (especially when the diff sucks)

Last edited by che : 18 Jan 2008 at 06:21 AM.