EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jul 2020, 02:52 AM   #1
LouisaB

Fastmail or POBox

I have watched here for some time, but have now decided to move from my BT mail to either FM or PO.

A few questions:-

Is there a list of features or comparisons between PO & FM ? I think I prefer PO, but only because a couple of friends use it.

How do I import email addresses to PO or FM - I have several hundreds which I can get into a CSV file.

Can I set up a rule in both PO & FM so that email forwarded from BT gets an autoresponse giving my new email address?

I think my FM user friend said we both get a discount if she refers me to FM, is there something similar with PO?

How can I check that my preferred user name is available with FM &PO?
I want a short 4 or 5 character user name something like my initials or name.

Thanks in advance

Lou
LouisaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jul 2020, 04:32 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Lots of questions that I think you could answer yourself by comparing information on the two websites--both have extensive help documentation. As to the autoresponse issue, I think the place to do that is at BT if you can set forwarding and an autoresponse to update to your new email address.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2020, 04:53 AM   #3
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I think the place to do that is at BT if you can set forwarding and an autoresponse to update to your new email address.
It was possible the last time I looked although that was a while ago now.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2020, 09:24 AM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaB View Post
Is there a list of features or comparisons between PO & FM ? I think I prefer PO, but only because a couple of friends use it.
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=74304

Quote:
How do I import email addresses to PO or FM - I have several hundreds which I can get into a CSV file.
There's an import tool. BTW, you need the 'Mailstore' plan at Pobox. Fastmail and Pobox are using the same email app, but Pobox has a separate management interface for rules, spam filters, domains, etc.

Quote:
Can I set up a rule in both PO & FM so that email forwarded from BT gets an autoresponse giving my new email address?
I think so. Pobox filters support 'auto response'. FastMail filters and rules are more advanced. For example, Pobox has no sieve editor.

Quote:
I think my FM user friend said we both get a discount if she refers me to FM, is there something similar with PO?
I don't know if this link leads to a discount.

Quote:
How can I check that my preferred user name is available with FM &PO?
I want a short 4 or 5 character user name something like my initials or name.
Availability is checked before you sign up. Both have a free trial.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaB View Post
I agree with TenFour that the auto-response is better set up on your old account rather than the new one. In addition, if I were you I wouldn't provide your new address in the auto-response, but take the opportunity to weed out spammers, with a message along the lines of
Hi
This is an automated reply from [your old e-mail address]
I no longer use this address.
If you have a legitimate reason for wanting to get in touch with me please send another e-mail with the subject "[some phrase of your choice]".
I will then reply to you with an alternative address on which you can contact me.
Best wishes,
Louisa

Also, if you are going to the trouble of changing your e-mail address, it would be sensible to future-proof it by acquiring your own domain and having Fastmail or POBox host it for you, rather than tying yourself down to one of their domains.
Good luck with it,
Graham.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2020, 12:40 AM   #6
odedp
Master of the @

I've been a Fastmail user since day 1.
I use only web interface.
Nearly a year ago I've moved to Pobox (Mailstore) and almost doubled my storage for the same price
I continue to use Fastmail's web interface.
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2020, 04:30 PM   #7
LouisaB

Thank-you everyone for your replies.

I am still addressing various issues - hopefully will move soon!

Lou
LouisaB is offline   Reply With Quote