EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Oct 2006, 05:59 AM   #1
LazyGun

Joejob on my domain; anyone else?

My domain "greylines.net" is being forged as the sender of stock spams. The addresses are in the format
'3-5 random letters@domain name.tld' with names attached. The spams mostly contain a gif showing stock tips which is the real content and some unassociated text lifted from random sites. I think its one of the new polish spam gangs but Icbw.
Anyone else getting this?
LazyGun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Oct 2006, 06:29 AM   #2
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

LazyGun,

I think a lot of people have been getting these in the last few days - just look at the other threads.

I have a virtual domain also, but I've been getting exactly the same as you to my fastmail account.

I have now got a sieve script in place to junk everything coming to my fastmail account (except for some white listed sender addresses) from fastmail themselves.

J.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 08:46 AM   #3
NumberSix

I've also been getting joe-jobbed recently, but not to any of my 3 private domains, rather to random letter sequences AT myusername.myfmdomain.tld. I've made extensive use of this "own-subdomain" feature, so it doesn't surprise me...

Dave
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 10:31 AM   #4
Shelded

It only takes a bit of sieve to fix this, using the x-backscatter header. This is why I like Fastmail. My mailshell.com account doesn't have anything I can hook and I'm also being joejobbed there. That service is just about useless to me now. I'm probably going to begin discarding the backscatter without any review but here's my script now.
PHP Code:
 if not header :contains ["X-Spam-known-sender""yes" {
 if 
allof(

header :contains ["X-Backscatter""yes",

not header :matches ["X-LinkName""*"  
{   
fileinto "INBOX.Junk Mail";   stop; }
 if  
header :value "ge" :comparator "i;ascii-numeric" ["X-Spam-score"] ["12"]  
{   
discard;   stop; }
 if  
header :value "ge" :comparator "i;ascii-numeric" ["X-Spam-score"] ["6"]  
{   
fileinto "INBOX.Junk Mail";   stop; }} 
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 03:01 PM   #5
JamesHenderson

My spam is only to my fastmail address too. I've used sieve (via Kurian) to simply kill all emails to my fastmail address as I only use my virtual domain. The script whitelists some addresses that fastmail themselves use.

if allof(not header :regex "From" "(bounce|webmaster)@(fastmail.(fm|co.uk)|messagingengine.com)", header :regex "To" "<myaccountname>.fastmail") {
fileinto "INBOX.Junk Mail";
}

James.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 03:44 PM   #6
IanO

I have also been getting Backscatter with 3-6 random letters before the @. I've noticed some of them do not have the X-Backscatter flag on them. Some of them claim to be 'an Out of Office Autoreply' others claim to mailing list errors. Seems like they should be caught as backscatter is there a place to report these?

I put in some sieve code to catch these:
Code:
if address :regex "X-Delivered-to" "^[a-z0-9]?[a-z0-9]?[a-z0-9]?[a-z0-9]?[a-z0-9]?[a-z0-9]?@mydomain\\.tld"
		{
		fileinto "INBOX.Junk Mail";
		stop;
		}
Is there a better way to do this instead of all those '[a-z0-9]?' ? Also I noticed if I replace address: by header: it stops working!?
IanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 04:02 PM   #7
Shelded

The autoreplies are not backscatter since they are not bounces. They're replies. That is just spam generated by ignorant people. I can't filter those except by looking for headers like Auto Generated: Auto Reply. I get the same junk from Challenge Response systems asking me to verify that I want to send them mail
Old 18 Oct 2006, 04:44 AM   #8
IanO

Shelded, so it depends on your definition of backscatter . Wikipedia for example defines it differently.
Old 18 Oct 2006, 04:58 AM   #9
Shelded

You know, since writing it I have been having these guilt feelings. I don't even need to read your link to have some misgivings. Is that a retraction? I don't know, but when you read the mail headers it's clear that a bounce is different than an out of office reply. The message id is different so that's where I was coming from.

And I could fix that error on wikipedia couldn't I
Old 18 Oct 2006, 03:40 PM   #10
IanO

And I could put it back, with truthiness on my side...

But seriously I understand trying to match all possible types would be a pain, with diminishing returns for each new type.

Perhaps email needs a new standard header flag for all "Auto-Reply" type messages
Old 18 Oct 2006, 03:52 PM   #11
Shelded

I've been scouring my mailshell.com headers for days trying to see how they are different when bounced to me versus mailed to me... and today have figured it out. But there is no diff between mailed to me or auto replied to me, unless the sender courteously adds that header you mentioned, something like "Auto Replied" -- it would be handy, but the spammers would leave it out since it doesn't help them deliver.