EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 29 Jun 2018, 04:29 AM   #1
dingdong

Email Links Wont Activate

When clicking on an email link online or in a document my email program Windows Mail wont start up like it normally did.......nothing happens......maybe recent updates stuffed with my program?
dingdong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:32 PM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

This is a operating system issue. It's not clear from your post which operating system you use. If it's Windows 7 or Windows 10, just type "default" in the search box (normally at the lower left corner of the desktop). Or you can go to Windows Settings -- in Windows 10 you then want to choose Apps and then Default apps. You can choose the default email app, music player, photo viewer, video player, and web browser.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:41 PM   #3
dingdong

Windows 10.......I got as far as settings but then wasnt sure where to go.....I am using Outlook on my laptop........my mail comes to me on my pc......
Old 29 Jun 2018, 08:03 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Just follow my directions. You will see a default app choice for many services, including email. This is also extremely easy to find with the Google or Bing search “default email Windows 10”.
Old 30 Jun 2018, 08:49 AM   #5
dingdong

I have found the apps and features.......what now?
Old 30 Jun 2018, 09:29 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

You don't want to use "Apps & features". Instead open up "Default apps". Then select the application you want to open your email.

It's very easy -- all I have to do is to type "default" in the search box (lower left corner of the desktop) and hit the Enter key. Then select the app you want to handle Email links.

Bill
Old 3 Jul 2018, 05:12 AM   #7
dingdong

I changed it but now am getting this when I click on an email link online.......its bringing up a window saying welcome to mail......and saying add an account.......i cant upload a picture to show you as it doesnt have this function here.......its not opening up my email program on my pc like normally did...
Old 3 Jul 2018, 09:22 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Try it again. It brings up Mail and fills in the To address from the mailto: link for me.

Bill
Old 3 Jul 2018, 02:40 PM   #9
dingdong

It looks like a totally different mail program to Outlook (Gmail I think?)......I dont want to try it as it keeps popping up now on my pc saying its out of date.......my Outlook works fine......just wanted the email links online to work....not all this nonsense.....

Last edited by dingdong : 3 Jul 2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:53 AM   #10
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

First you said you used Windows Mail, and now you say Outlook. You have to set the default apps setting for the actual email program you wish to use. This Windows setting works fine for me. Sorry you can’t get it to work.

Bill
Old 6 Jul 2018, 05:02 AM   #11
dingdong

My mail program is Outlook but on my pc....not online........thats where I may have got confused.......how do I set the default app so the "@......." links work online when clicking on them?

My Outlook works fine except this problem.

And how do I stop this Gmail program from popping up on my pc saying its out of date?