EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 20 Jun 2008, 09:22 PM   #61
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennis View Post
Forgive my ignorance. Any Yahoo site I go to on the planet just takes me to the account I already have through my ISP. So what is new here?
You only notice the availability of those new domains when you sign up for a new account.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:33 PM   #62
GreenGuava

POP access?

I've been reading this through this thread and I've heard POP mentioned a few times. I was just wondering if someone could confirm whether POP access is available using either of the two new domains (ymail/rocketmail), and if so, how would I go about doing it (ie should I sign up for an account using a specific country?). Thanks!

Last edited by GreenGuava : 20 Jun 2008 at 10:42 PM.
GreenGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:40 PM   #63
digp
Master of the @

Can I get POP on a Yahoo dot com domain by changing country settings (without mailplus). Thanks.
digp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:42 PM   #64
JTB

Just try things. Change country settings, it may work. Gmail also only allowed a few options if you have the US Language settings. So try it, change your Yahoo account's country to US, pick Florida as a state if they ask, and make your Zip Code 33436 or something.
JTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:57 PM   #65
JRobert
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuava View Post
I've been reading this through this thread and I've heard POP mentioned a few times. I was just wondering if someone could confirm whether POP access is available using either of the two new domains (ymail/rocketmail), and if so, how would I go about doing it (ie should I sign up for an account using a specific country?). Thanks!
Yahoo stopped offering POP and forwarding options on free accounts in the US a few years ago but continued offering them on accounts in other countries. I think if you sign up through a non-US TLD (...co.uk for instance), POP or Forwarding options will be available. Someone upthread found that changing your preferred language to other than US English worked for him.
JRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 12:41 AM   #66
rgarcia
Essential Contributor

I signed up for ymail and didn't get my preferred username but got my name with a dot, well anyway what makes it worthwhile is taking that hint. I changed country setting to uk english and now have pop and forwarding.

so its cool for me

So if you can't get your name don't forget you can use a dot or a underscore.
rgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 01:06 AM   #67
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

As I noted, I was able to set up POP access with a Ymail account set up with US, though I did use a canned POP/Forwarding link at the start.

The same techniques have not allowed me to set up POP with a Yahoo.com account. For those, I use the Webmail extension for Thunderbird.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:16 AM   #68
GreenGuava

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try a few different things and see if I can get an account with POP access

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
As I noted, I was able to set up POP access with a Ymail account set up with US, though I did use a canned POP/Forwarding link at the start.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by 'canned POP/Forwarding link'?
GreenGuava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:59 AM   #69
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

If you see POP/Forwarding and can set it, you are done.

If you change language to English/UK or such and see it, you are done.

If that doesn't work, get a copy of the POP/Forwarding url from a Yahoo mail that includes the feature, then login to your Ymail account, and go to that "canned" URL you copied.

That's what I did.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 10:04 AM   #70
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuava View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try a few different things and see if I can get an account with POP access

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by 'canned POP/Forwarding link'?
While I may not be completely clear on what kaptitsky means by that term, I can tell you how I got the POP/Forwarding options in my mail account, which defaulted to the English/US settings and didn't have those options until I changed the Language/Country setting to English/UK. While the following may appear a bit long-winded, it's actually pretty simple.

1. Log into your ymail webmail and click on the "Options" link near the upper right corner of the webmail screen.

2. On the Options page, click on the "Account Information" link listed beneath the word "Options" on the left side of the screen.

3. The above steps will probably bring you to a screen requiring you to enter your password again "for security purposes", which will then bring you to a "Review My Account Information" screen.

4. Scroll down to the "Member Information" section, not far from the top, which will contain basic information such as your gender, your yahoo/ymail email address and alternate address and, most importantly for the present purposes, "Preferred Content". You want to change the information in that field to a language/country which has the POP/forwarding feature. So click on the "Edit" link at the top of this section, to the right of the ""Member Information" label at the top of this section.

5. On the Edit screen, scroll down to the "Preferred Content" field under "General Preferences". This field will show your current setting (say, " English - United States") as a link. Click on this link.

6. The above will take you to a page with a dropdown list from which you can select your preferred "Language & Content". From this list, select a combination which has the desired options. "English - United Kingdom" worked for me.

7. Click on the "Finished" button, after which you may be brought to a screen requiring you to enter your password again. Of course, do so. When I did this I was brought to the "My Yahoo" page, from which I clicked on the Email link to go back to my email, where I now had the POP/forwarding options.

Edit: The above description was based on the "classic" Yahoo webmail interface, which I'm using. If you're using a different interface, you might not see the links in the webmail in exactly the same places.

Last edited by xmailer : 21 Jun 2008 at 10:11 AM.
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 10:21 AM   #71
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTB View Post
Just try things. Change country settings, it may work. Gmail also only allowed a few options if you have the US Language settings. So try it, change your Yahoo account's country to US, pick Florida as a state if they ask, and make your Zip Code 33436 or something.
Basically correct, except Yahoo has it backward. That is, the United States may be one of the few locations (if not the only one) which doesn't offer POP and forwarding for free accounts. So the setting should be changed to almost anything else. As I explained above, "English - United Kingdom" worked for me.

BTW, I didn't worry about finding a UK address, postal code or anything. Even with my account showing a U.S address, zip code, etc., I was able to get the POP/forwarding option merely by changing my "content" setting.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 10:25 AM   #72
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
I changed rocketmail's profile to zh-CN, that doesn't have forwarding/pop.
jeffpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 10:29 AM   #73
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpan View Post
I changed rocketmail's profile to zh-CN, that doesn't have forwarding/pop.
Okay, then I guess US users aren't the only ones Yahoo regards as second-class users.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 06:11 PM   #74
jdtaylor
Master of the @

Well I've got free pop/smtp n the UK, althoigh I don't think IMAP is actually availabkle, it's one of lifes questions I can't seem to sove.
jdtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2008, 08:49 PM   #75
Merovingian
Master of the @

xmailer, thanks for the detailed instructions, but I'm still not seeing any POP/Forwarding options. I've tried most other English language settings, including Australia. This is odd, because my y7mail account from Australia does offer forwarding.
Is it a Heading listed under Options? Or do you have to go into another heading to see that you have forwarding or POP options?

I've also tried to change the time zone in accordance with the changed location settings, but still nothing.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote