EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Feb 2016, 06:15 PM   #1
sebwills

Does Fastmail use a child sticky resolver?

Does anyone know whether the DNS resolver used by Fastmail's servers has 'child sticky' behaviour, as described here?

In other words, if I have changed the nameservers for a domain, but the old nameserver still claims to be authoritative (i.e. publishes NS records pointing to itself), when the appropriate TTL expires will Fastmail go back to the TLD nameserver and find the new nameserver for the domain, or will it go back to the old nameserver and keep using that since it still claims to be authoritative? (The latter is what 'child sticky' resolvers do)
sebwills is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Feb 2016, 07:11 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

My understanding is that this behavior is not decided at the Fastmail end. It is the decision of the system doing the lookup as to which zone to query for the up to date records. IMHO, whatever the RFCs might say, to assume the name servers for a domain have not changed, and just to go to old ones willy-nilly just to avoid an extra lookup, goes against the spirit of domain resolution.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2016, 07:29 PM   #3
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
I'd not heard of "child sticky" before. But no, we don't do that. Our DNS behaviour is entirely standard - if we have a cached record that hasn't expired yet (by time-to-live) we use it, otherwise we go looking for it. We'll use an NS record if we have it cached and it hasn't expired, but worst case, if everything has expired (or we never had it), we'll start at the root servers and work our way down.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2016, 12:34 AM   #4
sebwills

Thanks for the quick reply, Rob!
sebwills is offline   Reply With Quote