EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jan 2016, 06:07 AM   #1
jkc054

Question Fastmail Android App - cannot view/download attachments, other issues

I am having a number of issues with the Fastmail App for my Android tablet. The Android version is 5.0. I got the Fastmail app from the Google Play store and the version is 1.05.04

1. On my W7 laptop I logged into Fastmail using Firefox and attached a 6.9 mb pdf file to an email that I sent to my Fastmail email address. When I went to my Android tablet and logged into my Fastmail account using the Fastmail app I can see the email and the attachment but cannot open the attached pdf file to view it. I cannot download the pdf file to my tablet.

2. I do not have access to the Files area of my Fastmail account when I use the Fastmail app for my tablet. I do not see it as a choice to pick when I open the drop down menu in the upper left hand corner of Fastmail. I also don't see as a choice Password and Security, Help, Switch Users, etc. like I can when I log into Fastmail from my W7 laptop using the Firefox browser.

I assumed the Fastmail app experience would be identical to my experience when accessing Fastmail on my W7 laptop using FF as to functionality but I guess I am wrong?

My tablet is a RCA 10 Viking Pro model RCT6303W87 DK.

I just submitted a ticket with Fastmail support too. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by jkc054 : 19 Jan 2016 at 06:34 AM.
jkc054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jan 2016, 07:35 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The previous post made me visit the official page of the FM Android application. And it makes an interesting reading:
Quote:
The official FastMail mobile app is the best way to use FastMail on your iPhone, iPad, iPod or Android device.
[...]
Features
All the power of the FastMail mobile web app
[...]
In brief: The official FastMail mobile app features all the power of the FastMail mobile web app. With this detailed and powerful argument, who wouldn't want to download and use this magic app?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:28 AM   #3
jkc054

Based on the reply from Fastmail support their app is lacking features found when using my browser instead of the app.

Goodbye Fastmail app!
Old 19 Jan 2016, 09:53 AM   #4
jkc054

When I login using the web interface with Firefox (NOT THE APP) on my tablet I still have issues.

When I go to the Inbox to the message with the attachment and touch View instead of opening the pdf file it downloads the file to the Download folder in internal storage for my tablet. When I touch Download nothing happens.

Why doesn't Fastmail work the same way on the tablet as my laptop when using Firefox?
Old 20 Jan 2016, 08:34 AM   #5
jkc054

Below is the response from Fastmail Support. My question is do these limitations of the Fastmail app appear anywhere on Fastmail's website? If I had known in advance the limitations of the Fastmail app I never would have used it and would not have had to spend time trying to determine what was the problem.

"As mentioned, the attachment unresponsiveness is a known issue with Android. A fix is on the pipleline and we hope to have it released soon, I just don't have a definite timeline on it now.

The mobile app/webinterface, on the tab or the mobile phone is limited mainly because these mobile devices are not as powerful as laptops or full PCs. The browser features are limited there and hence the same reflects on the app and mobile/tab interfaces as well. You can't use it as a replacement to a PC or laptop.

There are several works in progress to make the other screens (eg: Files and advanced settings) accessible through the mobile interface and app. These things take time to get implemented so I wouldn't recommend holding your breath for them yet."
Old 25 Jan 2016, 08:50 AM   #6
EricG
Essential Contributor

Did you try the email/gmail client on Android? I don't see the point of webmail on Android for basic stuff.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 09:30 PM   #7
fmmark901

Has anyone tried using FastMail through the Gmail app? That is you can point the Gmail to the FastMail servers and load FastMail into the Gmail app. That is actually what FastMail recommends now on their website as the first Android app for FastMail. Another alternative is to just simply use the Chrome browser on the mobile FastMail website.
fmmark901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 10:28 PM   #8
nighthawk700
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmmark901 View Post
Has anyone tried using FastMail through the Gmail app? That is you can point the Gmail to the FastMail servers and load FastMail into the Gmail app. That is actually what FastMail recommends now on their website as the first Android app for FastMail. Another alternative is to just simply use the Chrome browser on the mobile FastMail website.
I've been using the (free) K-9 app on Android for many years now. Still does a great job. I have all the other email clients (mail, gmail) turned off. I know, not the direct answer to your question, but another option.
nighthawk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 11:29 PM   #9
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk700 View Post
I've been using the (free) K-9 app on Android for many years now. Still does a great job. I have all the other email clients (mail, gmail) turned off. I know, not the direct answer to your question, but another option.
lol I do the same
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2016, 10:53 PM   #10
JMac
Essential Contributor

Just trying to read messages using the FM Android app is tough. It doesn't reflow the text. Messages that are unreadable in FM look fine in Gmail. The FM app has enough problems that I uninstalled it.

Jim
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Apr 2017, 12:24 AM   #11
Drencrom
Master of the @

Problems with attachments, I don't even want to discuss. Simple operations are barely possible anymore. Everything is glitchy, slow, opens for ages, and regularly hangs. I've been with FM for over 15 years, generally a very satisfied customer but this app is just garbage (I don't even want to bother mentioning my device and firmware because they have nothing to do with the problem). This is how it is.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 07:29 PM   #12
ubundom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drencrom View Post
... Simple operations are barely possible anymore. Everything is glitchy, slow, opens for ages, and regularly hangs. I've been with FM for over 15 years, generally a very satisfied customer but this app is just garbage (I don't even want to bother mentioning my device and firmware because they have nothing to do with the problem). This is how it is.
Sad but true ... A shame. Any self-respecting software developer would get the editor working properly. After all, that's the reason for the App (writing emails etc.), for goodness sake!!
ubundom is offline   Reply With Quote