EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 24 Oct 2016, 02:58 AM   #1
mrmars

Samsung Email app (or Android) - Is it normal not receiving new emails realtime?

Hi everyone,
I just switched from BlackBerry OS 10 to Samsung Galaxy S6.

While with BB the FastMail synchronization has always been flawless (also aligning to the mobile device the read emails' status when read from another client) and true real-time, with Samsug/Android I'm feeling to have taken a backward step.

Regardless I set in Email app the synchronization interval as "Auto (when received)", the device never notifies me new emails real-time. It always takes from a minimum of 40-50 seconds to 6-7 minutes.

Is this normal?
Is it the app or the way Android handles this stuff?
Is there anything I can do?

Of course I have a very stable connection, I tried with both cellular data and wi-fi, I have installed FastMail app that behaves perfectly real-time.
Both BlackBerry and Samsung are configured with IMAP pointing at imap.fastmail.com (previously it was mail.messagingengine.com).

Thanks. Cheers.

Last edited by mrmars : 24 Oct 2016 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention that I'm using IMAP
mrmars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Oct 2016, 04:44 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

It looks as though the Samsung Android mail client does not support IMAP IDLE (the technology that allows a mail client to detect immediately when a mailbox changes. You may want to consider switching to one of the mail clients in the list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE. Several of them are Android clients. Carefully check the impact on battery life of the change (assuming this is a significant factor for you, as it is for most people).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2016, 06:23 AM   #3
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmars View Post
I have installed FastMail app that behaves perfectly real-time.
So, are you talking about the Fastmail app or Android mail? If the Fastmail app behaves perfectly, then why not just use that? You will need to clarify what you are using. Lots of these support IDLE (push) email:-
https://play.google.com/store/search...l&c=apps&hl=en
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2016, 09:56 AM   #4
EricG
Essential Contributor

The standard Android version 4/5 email app does not have IMAP Push. I don't see that Auto option in stock 5.1 email, Samsung must have added it. I think it adjusts the poll interval depending on volume. It would seem to be 5 min polling, the minimum.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote