EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 18 Jul 2002, 05:40 AM   #1
rei

any mac fastmail.fm users?

jeremy or rob and or any mac fastmail fans should go around to the forums today of mac sites where disgruntled mac users are getting switched over to apple's $100/year .mac from itools.
rei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jul 2002, 05:52 AM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

here
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:00 AM   #3
rei

i mean on their own forums
Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:06 AM   #4
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

I know, I was pointing to where it's been discussed here before...
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2002, 05:29 PM   #5
rei

well i still think it's a good idea like when you went out of your way to migrate visto etc

maybe an aqua theme style sheet?
Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:06 PM   #6
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

That's a good idea. There was some legal issues a while back about Aqua themes though wasn't there?
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:30 PM   #7
rei

i've seen winamp, litestep, aqua themes with little interference recently...?

all you'd need is a few small background textures, but i'm not exactly sure since i don't use one myself
Old 19 Jul 2002, 05:15 AM   #8
Ennis
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Howard
That's a good idea. There was some legal issues a while back about Aqua themes though wasn't there?
Yes. Don't mess with Mac when it comes to Aqua. However, an Aqua "inspired" theme might make it.
Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2002, 05:20 AM   #9
Ennis

What's $100/year? mac.com mail? Are they nuts? I've had it since it started, but I switched to fastmail because of Mac server problems.

Are you sure? I can't get to iTools because I'm on this work appliance called a PC.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 06:29 AM   #10
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Ennis
What's $100/year? mac.com mail? Are they nuts? I've had it since it started, but I switched to fastmail because of Mac server problems.
Are you sure? I can't get to iTools because I'm on this work appliance called a PC.
.Mac includes more than just email for $99 a year. In addition to a 15 MB IMAP/POP3/Web Mac.com account, you get: 100 MB iDisk space, McAfee AntiVirus, Backup, iSync, support, Home Page and iCard.

iTools members that registered before Wednesday can upgrade for $49 for their first year before their account expires on September 30. iTools members that had previously upgraded their iDisk received an email that their first year of .Mac will be free.

IMHO, not bad for what amounts to $8.25 a month. Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO, mentioned that the cost savings from retiring iTools would allow Apple to add even more value to .Mac. I personally look forward to them!
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2002, 07:17 AM   #11
esTester

I would probably consider it if I were a Mac user, but I'm not, so it wouldn't make sense. I might buy a mac at some point though and I would probably do it then.
esTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2002, 08:41 AM   #12
Ennis

Quote:
Originally posted by btn

.Mac includes more than just email for $99 a year. In addition to a 15 MB IMAP/POP3/Web Mac.com account, you get: 100 MB iDisk space, McAfee AntiVirus, Backup, iSync, support, Home Page and iCard.

iTools members that registered before Wednesday can upgrade for $49 for their first year before their account expires on September 30. iTools members that had previously upgraded their iDisk received an email that their first year of .Mac will be free.

IMHO, not bad for what amounts to $8.25 a month. Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO, mentioned that the cost savings from retiring iTools would allow Apple to add even more value to .Mac. I personally look forward to them!
So are you saying that iTools is being "retired", and my free Mac mail is gonna cost me 49 bucks for the first year, and $100 thereafter? You know where Steve can put it. I switched to FM because Mac Mail stopped being dependable.

Last edited by Ennis : 19 Jul 2002 at 08:45 AM.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 08:52 AM   #13
btn

Representative of:
Everyone.net
Quote:
Originally posted by Ennis
So are you saying that iTools is being "retired", and my free Mac mail is gonna cost me 49 bucks for the first year, and $100 thereafter?
Yes. There is a very slim chance that they might keep some form of free email but I seriously doubt it.

I guess we'll see if Apple modifies their plans based on feedback from their customers come September 30...

P.S. Again, note that you get a lot more services than just email with your .Mac membership.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2002, 08:57 AM   #14
Ennis

Quote:
Originally posted by btn

P.S. Again, note that you get a lot more services than just email with your .Mac membership.
I know, but I've lived without this bundle up to now, and I can live a little longer without it. The free email and iTools was such a "Mac" thing. I'm very disappointed in them. They can keep it. Actually, I wouldn't be on this forum if I hadn't abandoned Mac Mail.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 10:09 AM   #15
sjk
Master of the @

I like(d) using a mac.com e-mail account for lower-priority Mac-related correspondense. Damned if I'll pay $100/yr just for that, tho', since the other .Mac services don't really interest me and it would seem like I'm paying Apple to "advertise" for them. I'm not bitter, just frustrated at having to change a batch of e-mail addresses. That'll learn me to use my own domain.

This pretty much sums up many of my feelings:

http://www.omnigroup.com/mailman/arc...ly/007687.html

Btw, I run Mac OS X 10.1.5 on an iBook 600. Primary browser is OmniWeb 4.1, with Mozilla 1.1a for stuff OW won't handle.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote