EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Aug 2006, 10:20 AM   #1
jonrobs

Angry Problem sending emails to hotmail account

When ever i send an email to my wife's hotmail account the message does not get there on the first attempt. When i forward the email a second time she gets the email.
The email does not even get into her junk mail.

What would the cause be?

Thanks for the help

John
jonrobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Aug 2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Get her to put your e-mail address in her address book...look in the junk mail folder you may be there....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2006, 07:05 PM   #3
alistair234

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
Get her to put your e-mail address in her address book...look in the junk mail folder you may be there....
the same thing always happens to me as well. When I send friends, relatives E-mails from fastmail to hotmail, friends always get back saying the hotmail always delivers fastmail address in Junk Mail folder.

Does anyone know why this is????
alistair234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2006, 08:10 PM   #4
jonrobs

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry
She has the email address in her address book and the email never get into her junk mail box either. We checked that several times.
If i forward the email to her 1 minuite later the forwarded email always gets through.
jonrobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2006, 11:33 PM   #5
registered_user

Quote:
Originally posted by alistair234
the same thing always happens to me as well. When I send friends, relatives E-mails from fastmail to hotmail, friends always get back saying the hotmail always delivers fastmail address in Junk Mail folder.

Does anyone know why this is????
Hotmail's junk mail filters are garbage. That's the short answer.

The long answer (explaining why hotmail's spam filter is worthless) is mostly speculative, though it's tough to come up with technical reasons why Hotmail identifies some things as spam. It has been suggested more than once that Hotmail rejects mail for marketing reasons about as much as it rejects mail that actually is spam. For instance, Hotmail users generally don't recieve GMail invites from their friends, even though there's really nothing in the GMail invite message that should flag it as obvious spam. Additionally, a lot of mail sent from GMail users simply didn't get to Hotmail for a long time, more than likely because Hotmail was trying to make their competition look bad (Gmail certainly wasn't blacklisted by anyone at the time). Hotmail and FM have had a stormy relationship in the past, with Hotmail occassionally adding FM to their anti-spam blacklist without any real justification. Again, it's easy to imagine they would do that simply to make FM look less reliable.

The problem is that whenever these things happen with Hotmail, it only effects Hotmail users and no other service, so it's pretty easy for people to figure out that any reliability issues are on Hotmail's end and not FM's. I don't know anybody who still uses their craptacular service anymore.

The only service I've ever seen produce more false positives is GoDaddy's email service.
registered_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2006, 05:14 AM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

some friends use to have trouble sending to Hotmail when they used a .fm addresss, a .com one was more reliable.
Old 30 Aug 2006, 05:23 AM   #7
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by registered_user
Hotmail's junk mail filters are garbage. That's the short answer.
I agree. I cannot send mail to my daughters Hotmail account either and finally gave up trying to do so. I created a Hotmail account for myself that I use just to mail my daughter.

Hotmail won I guess
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2006, 10:22 AM   #8
registered_user

Quote:
Originally posted by David
I agree. I cannot send mail to my daughters Hotmail account either and finally gave up trying to do so. I created a Hotmail account for myself that I use just to mail my daughter.

Hotmail won I guess
See, I don't get why Hotmail users just don't flee in droves (anymore, because there have been several mass exoduses in the past). You'd think your daughter would figure out that she's losing mail (because it's not just limited to you, that's a guarantee) and try something more reliable. I don't know any Hotmail users anymore (they all quit the service years ago, the last holdout quit when GMail went out of beta), but it sounds like other people still encounter Hotmail users who just refuse to acknowledge the obvious -- that Hotmail is total crap.
registered_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Aug 2006, 04:07 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

yes I agree about hotmail, but some people just grew up with it and wont change, I have got a few people to try fastmail and they get confused by it all and some go back to hotmail or to gmail....which is sad.