EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 26 Apr 2021, 11:53 PM   #1
Mark Willard

Storage related problem, please help.

My Gmail account recently went over the 15GB limit, so I deleted a lot of emails, and photos, and I am now down to 14.6GB, so I now have 0.4GB free. The problem is, I deleted six years or so worth of emails, and a lot of photos from Google Photos, so I should have more free space than this. I am trying to find out where the bulk of the 14.6GB is, and according to Gmail's oh-so-detailed site at:

https://one.google.com/storage

I am using:

Google Drive 0 GB

Gmail 14.59 GB

Google Photos 0 GB

The problem is, I still have quite a few photos left in Google Photos (that I didn't delete, because I want to keep them), so the above figure is wrong. And the page doesn't offer a more detailed breakdown, though to be fair since the object of the page is clearly to get people to pay for more storage, why expect Google to make things easy for people who want to sort out how their free space is being used.

I can see and view my photos in Google Photos, so why does the above page insist that there are none? And how do I get Google Photos to actually tell me how many photos I have, and how much space they take up?

And since I now only have e-mails from 2018 to the present day (I have deleted the ones from 2012 to 2017 to save space, and yes, I did then empty the Gmail trash can, so they are totally deleted) then I don't believe that they come to anywhere near 14.6 GB in total.

Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this problem? And does anyone know of a contact address for Gmail, either e-mail or phone? Or even a forum for users of Gmail? I have searched avidly, but can't find any way of contacting them. Just the not too helpful site:

https://support.google.com/?hl=en

where I was unable to find any solutions to my problem.

Thanks for any answers.
Mark Willard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Apr 2021, 01:02 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Your Google Photos storage would be zero if you chose to store them at "High Quality," which is actually compressed (though very good quality still). My guess is that you haven't actually emptied your Gmail trash yet and therefore it is still taking up storage. It may take a day before the reduction in size is recorded after emptying the trash. There is no contact information for Google unless you already subscribe to Google One. The only option with Google is to ask for help on the community forum, but they are not official Google employees there. If you pay for Google One there is support that can be contacted. By the way, if you click on the amount of storage used within the Gmail web interface it will take you to a page with more detail on what is taking up space. From there you can click a link to go to the Storage Manager, which helps to determine how to gain more space. https://one.google.com/storage/management
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 03:23 PM   #3
mister
Essential Contributor

14 G of email is a LOT of email.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote