EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 11 Dec 2016, 10:29 PM   #1
ibcsweb
Cornerstone of the Community

Alternative to OUtlook

I have been using a MAC now for some tiem and have been very happy with almost every aspect. The only thing I am missing is a program which covers all the functionality of MS Outlook. I know that I cna get Outlook for the Mac but I would prefer a free alternative if possible. If not then I will have to purchase the Mac version of Outlook.
If anyone has a free alternative which includes the journaling function of OUtlook I would be very ahppy to avoid any further contact with Microsoft.
ibcsweb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Dec 2016, 12:50 PM   #2
ReuvenNY

I believe Thunderbird from Mozilla can do all this.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2016, 06:27 PM   #3
ibcsweb
Cornerstone of the Community

MS Outlook replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
I believe Thunderbird from Mozilla can do all this.
I have the calendar and email function along with the address book all syncing my gmail account. I am not aware of being able to attach docs and pdfs to individuals or keep track journal style though. Is it another add on or extension?
ibcsweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2016, 12:54 AM   #4
ReuvenNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcsweb View Post
I have the calendar and email function along with the address book all syncing my gmail account. I am not aware of being able to attach docs and pdfs to individuals or keep track journal style though. Is it another add on or extension?
I use Thunderbird only for all my IMAP accounts. You can check the extensions here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...rd/extensions/
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2016, 03:40 AM   #5
mailcheap

Outlook for Mac has certain bugs that are still not addressed by MS dev team after years, esp. with regard to STARTTLS implementation. Thunderbird is a very good FOSS alternative; also heard good things about the new Spark for Mac which is free in the app store.

Pavin.
mailcheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2017, 09:25 PM   #6
kevkav

For Mac, Thunderbird is about the only free alternative to Outlook that is any good. There are a number of good paid alternatives from startups though. Wikipedia has a listing page for Mac email clients. and a technical comparison page.
kevkav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2017, 09:41 PM   #7
kevkav

After going through the wikipedia listing page for Mac clients myself. The ones that are most interesting and are actively being developed are:
  1. Airmail
  2. Inky
  3. Hiri
  4. Nylas
Nylas is probably the most used of this bunch.
kevkav is offline   Reply With Quote