EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Aug 2014, 04:11 PM   #1
NumberSix
Cornerstone of the Community

Could pinned messages have a different color?

Could pinned messages have a light background color different from the rest, all the way across the mailbox display row? The way pinned messages can be kept at the top is one thing I really love about the new web client, but I use pinning to remind me of things, and having a slightly more salient visual distinction would make it easier to visually process where the pinned messages end and non-pinned ones begin (in case the newest non-pinned is already read).

Just sayin'
(I assume we're not yet able to do our own CSS coding, right?)
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Aug 2014, 11:24 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I like your idea. But in case it isn't put into place, here are some searches you can use which may help:
  • PINNED
  • UNPINNED
  • UNREAD
  • READ
  • UNREAD UNPINNED
In the short form shown above, the Boolean search terms must be capitalized. If they were in lowercase the rules would be is:pinned, etc. Adjacent terms are combined with an implicit AND, and the explicit OR can also be used between terms. You can also use the Unread button at the top to only see messages which haven't been read.

The read/unread and pinned/unpinned states can be changed for one or more messages by selecting them (with checkboxes) and using the Mark tool. When reading a message, you can click the pin in the upper right corner or the unread star icon adjacent to the folder name (and reply/reply to all button) to toggle the state. I just described this to someone in another thread in the last couple of days, but I can't remember if it was you.

At this time I keep messages in the unread (bold) state in my Inbox if I need to deal with them within a day or so, and mark them with the pin for long-term followup. I move messages to other folders when I no longer need to follow up and want to store them. I use the quick Archive button for miscellaneous messages I want to keep for future reference, and use other folders for friends or business topics I want to later track.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2014, 02:03 AM   #3
Mystakill

It's been awhile since I used the web UI, so I don't recall if custom CSS is still supported. Regardless, if you have access to the Stylish browser extension, you can add something like this to your section for FM:
Code:
.pinned a { color: red }
That'll change color of the pinned message subjects to red for a better visual indicator. You can add bold, italic or other attributes as well.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2014, 03:13 AM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystakill View Post
It's been awhile since I used the web UI, so I don't recall if custom CSS is still supported. Regardless, if you have access to the Stylish browser extension...
Custom CSS is not supported in the current (AJAX) interface. Custom javascript tweaks (which were only in the Classic interface) have not been allowed since May 2014 for security reasons.

So to make CSS changes to the current (AJAX) user interface would require a browser tool such as Stylish.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2014, 07:30 AM   #5
NumberSix

Installed Stylish and will give it a try.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 08:32 AM   #6
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Here's an example that will work in Stylish.

Code:
.pinned {  background: whitesmoke;  }
cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Sep 2014, 07:33 PM   #7
NumberSix

Lordy lord, that was so easy! Can't believe it! Thanks!
Old 22 Sep 2014, 10:08 AM   #8
NumberSix

Could you suggest a selector (zat the right word?) to target selected messages in the mailbox window (i.e. those with clicked checkbox)? I'd like to change that background color, too, if possible. I've looked at the css file and can't make head or tail of it. Thanks.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 10:14 AM   #9
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Could you suggest a selector (zat the right word?) to target selected messages in the mailbox window (i.e. those with clicked checkbox)? I'd like to change that background color, too, if possible. I've looked at the css file and can't make head or tail of it. Thanks.

Code:
.MailboxItemView.selected {
background: #DFD080;
}
Old 22 Sep 2014, 10:51 AM   #10
NumberSix

Fantastic Thanks. So..... how do I find these myself? I tried ctrl-U to see where the stylesheet is, but that only gives me a small sheet that doesn't have much in it.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 10:57 AM   #11
cptlo306
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix View Post
Fantastic Thanks. So..... how do I find these myself? I tried ctrl-U to see where the stylesheet is, but that only gives me a small sheet that doesn't have much in it.
Assuming you're using Chrome, right click on the item you'd like to modify and click Inspect Element. You can then look at the CSS settings in the Developer Console.
Old 22 Sep 2014, 11:52 AM   #12
NumberSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptlo306 View Post
Assuming you're using Chrome, right click on the item you'd like to modify and click Inspect Element. You can then look at the CSS settings in the Developer Console.
Aha! Actually I'm not using Chrome, but the same advice holds for Firefox, apparently
Old 10 Dec 2014, 05:49 AM   #13
NumberSix

Thanks again to cptlo306 for this bit of advice....

I found the other day that my styling of pinned messages using the Stylish plugin for Firefox was not working any more. Suspected that FM had changed something under the hood, and it turned out to be true: the CSS class name for pinned messages has changed from pinned to is-pinned.

A simple fix in Stylish and I'm back in biznis.