EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 17 Sep 2015, 10:27 AM   #1
camner
Cornerstone of the Community

local backup of FM stored email for Mac

I'm looking for a way to provide a local backup of my FM mail store. I'm trying to protect against user error, not an FM glitch. I recently discovered that either I or my wife accidentally deleted an imap folder (and thus its contents) rather than an individual message, using the email client we use at home (Postbox). I know that if one notices this quickly, one can get the folder restored by FM, but in this case we didn't notice it for several weeks (it is a rarely used folder). So, it's gone and lost forever.

I've found some (seemingly) good options for Windows, but we're running Macs here.

Any ideas?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 17 Sep 2015, 12:58 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

From Postbox support files -
"Mac Solutions

Time Machine
Users running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or above can use the built-in Time Machine utility to back up their system. By default, Time Machine will create hourly backups while the designated external hard drive is connected. Time Machine makes it easy to restore the Postbox profile to a specific date and time. Click here to read about Apple's Time Machine Utility.

Email Backup Pro
In addition, Email Backup Pro by Squashed Software is an excellent third-party email backup tool with support for Postbox. It features scheduled backups, easy restoration, and backup compression. Check it out here: Email Backup Pro by Squashed Software"
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2015, 12:11 PM   #3
camner

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
From Postbox support files -
"Mac Solutions

Time Machine
Users running Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or above can use the built-in Time Machine utility to back up their system. By default, Time Machine will create hourly backups while the designated external hard drive is connected. Time Machine makes it easy to restore the Postbox profile to a specific date and time. Click here to read about Apple's Time Machine Utility.

Email Backup Pro
In addition, Email Backup Pro by Squashed Software is an excellent third-party email backup tool with support for Postbox. It features scheduled backups, easy restoration, and backup compression. Check it out here: Email Backup Pro by Squashed Software"
I don't understand how a Time Machine backup would work with an imap account. If I accidentally delete a folder (or, for that matter, individual emails) on the FM imap server, restoring the local mail store from a TM backup just puts back the emails into the appropriate local folder. That isn't going to induce FM to pick those up and reupload them to the FM imap server, right?
camner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2015, 11:53 PM   #4
Mystakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by camner View Post
...restoring the local mail store from a TM backup just puts back the emails into the appropriate local folder.
You can have Time Machine restore the files to an alternate location by right-clicking on the file/folder in the backup timeline and selecting 'Restore "file/foldername" to...' You can then import the messages/IMAP folders into Thunderbird from the alternate location.
Mystakill is offline   Reply With Quote