EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 22 Jun 2003, 12:30 AM   #1
michaelj

Netscape IMAP

While transitioning to the new PC and hobbling along on the old one I was temporarily using Netscape's e mail program. When I loaded my netscape.net account that I created on the download I found that they're using IMAP. However, I can't seem to get it to work on any other program other than Netscape mail, which is not (and won't be) installed on the new PC. Is there something propriatary about what they're doing?

Michael
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Jun 2003, 01:54 AM   #2
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Yes.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 02:20 PM   #3
robu
Essential Contributor

Try downloading Netscape 7.02 Browser

If you set up Netscape mail on the new Browser it will work fine.
They may have some internal tricks that won't work on any email client but the 5MB mail accounts and thr browser is Free what more could you ask for.

I have found I don't get much or any junk mail on the Netscape.net accounts, however, I don't use them too often either.

I hope this help you some

Bob
robu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2003, 08:20 PM   #4
michaelj

Re: Try downloading Netscape 7.02 Browser

Quote:
Originally posted by robu
If you set up Netscape mail on the new Browser it will work fine.
They may have some internal tricks that won't work on any email client but the 5MB mail accounts and thr browser is Free what more could you ask for.

I have found I don't get much or any junk mail on the Netscape.net accounts, however, I don't use them too often either.

I hope this help you some

Bob
I was hoping not to have to install Netscape just to use their IMAP mail server, I wanted it within Outlook. Guess not

Michael
Old 23 Jun 2003, 05:51 AM   #5
Dave P in StLouis
Cornerstone of the Community

Dear Michael,

It's possible that you might be able to use Thunderbird, which is the e-mail client portion of Mozila, the browser Nescape is based on. However, I don't have a Netscape account, so I don't know this for sure.

Best wishes,
David P.
Dave P in StLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2003, 11:52 PM   #6
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave P in StLouis
Dear Michael,

It's possible that you might be able to use Thunderbird, which is the e-mail client portion of Mozila, the browser Nescape is based on. However, I don't have a Netscape account, so I don't know this for sure.

Best wishes,
David P.
It's not possible at all.

The AOL login code is in the AIM module of Netscape, and is proprietary.
Old 5 Jul 2003, 04:13 PM   #7
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

I guess this is the Microsoft AOL rivalry again. Microsoft has proprietary process to retrieve hotmail on OE, how can Netscape possibly not have a propriatary method to get their email on their mail client?
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Jul 2003, 09:52 PM   #8
michaelj

Quote:
Originally posted by FMRocks
I guess this is the Microsoft AOL rivalry again. Microsoft has proprietary process to retrieve hotmail on OE, how can Netscape possibly not have a propriatary method to get their email on their mail client?
Yeah, but I can access Hotmail in Fastmail.fm.
I would be nice to pick up the Netscape mail that's associated with my AIM account without having to go to their website.

Michael
Old 6 Jul 2003, 01:02 AM   #9
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
MS does not have a proprietary method, only a different one, which is why others like Fastmail can access it.

On the other hand, AOL has always limited access to it's mail servers until Netscape 7, and Netscape.net mail is just another form of AOL mail. To my knowledge, the only other client with legal access is Claris Emailer for the Mac, which is abandonware now.

AOL has a long history of limiting access to AIM and mail.
Old 6 Jul 2003, 03:49 PM   #10
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by kaptitsky
MS does not have a proprietary method, only a different one, which is why others like Fastmail can access it.
Hmm... I wonder if Microsoft won't raise hell if Netscape Mail started accessing Hotmail.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Jul 2003, 08:34 PM   #11
michaelj

Quote:
Hmm... I wonder if Microsoft won't raise hell if Netscape Mail started accessing Hotmail.
Or if they'd really care. I found it to be a very unreliable mail client, and found myself deleting and redoing profiles more times than I spend actually using the thing.

On the new PC I find that Netscape mail on the web loads VERY slowly through XP's IE6, yet if I load AIM and then "check mail" it loads rather quickly.