EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 28 Nov 2014, 08:12 PM   #76
B4its2L8
Master of the @

Even though they are still at version 1.11, I just now noticed that the mail storage has been upped from 100mb to 500mb.
B4its2L8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 05:26 AM   #77
mister
Essential Contributor

They finally emailed me and now I can sign up for an account.Is it worthwhile?
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Dec 2014, 05:46 AM   #78
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister View Post
They finally emailed me and now I can sign up for an account.Is it worthwhile?
How long did they make you wait?
Keep in mind attachments not encrypted.

Compare with sryptmail
Would be nice if you write some cons and pros
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Dec 2014, 03:04 AM   #79
mister
Essential Contributor

A lot longer than I expected( a few months I guess)will post a review later.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Dec 2014, 12:39 PM   #80
rockman

I suspect they are slowly ramping up due to publicity and demand. I was lucky to get in early and help Jason, Wei and Andy with initial feedback and bug bashing.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2015, 09:37 AM   #81
Nektar1973
Essential Contributor

They are. I requested service in June..so did others I know. I just got notice of my beta account being active.So did they.
Nektar1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2015, 12:14 AM   #82
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

https://blog.protonmail.ch/protonmai...g-list-update/

A lot of progress has been made since our last waiting list update. Our major infrastructure upgrades went smoothly and have made ProtonMail even more reliable, secure, and ready to take in more users than ever before. We are pleased to announce that we have sent out close to 300,000 invites in the last several months!

For our new friends who only found out about ProtonMail recently, your wait will not be as long! We are inviting new users every week and will very soon, almost surely, approach instant access.

And they're up to 1.14 now.

https://blog.protonmail.ch/protonmai...release-notes/
  • New homepage design.
  • New blog design.
  • Support sending emails from protonmail.com
  • All existing protonmail.ch accounts now support protonmail.com (see our Knowledge Base for more info)
  • Added login form to the homepage.
  • Added a knowledge base with tutorials and commonly asked questions.
pjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2015, 02:27 AM   #83
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

TED talk on encrypted email by Andy Yen, one of the founders of ProtonMail.

Think your email's private? Think again
Old 8 Mar 2015, 12:45 AM   #84
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Did I hear him say we need to "build a new internet"?
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Mar 2015, 12:01 AM   #85
patrizio

Representative of:
Servermx.com
ssl server2server

Using my protonmail account I found that their relay server doesn't use SSL.

It is not in correlation with SSL server2server but the SPF rule is

"v=spf1 include:sendgrid.net ip4:37.35.106.36 ip4:185.70.40.18 ip4:185.70.40.22 a mx -all"

sendgrid.net is a very big commercial "sender"
patrizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2015, 12:59 AM   #86
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

ProtonMail has raised $2M USD to consolidate and speed development.

https://blog.protonmail.ch/protonmai...online-privacy
Old 20 Mar 2015, 05:26 AM   #87
scryptmail

Representative of:
Scryptmail.com
Oh well, good for them.
They delivered import address book for $550k last year, now its 2 mil to help them cover San-Francisco relocation.

Ps. It's interesting to see how distancing themselves from VC helped with Indiegogo campaign, but obviously protecting people privacy not their only priority anymore

Last edited by scryptmail : 20 Mar 2015 at 05:34 AM.
scryptmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2015, 07:59 AM   #88
rockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryptmail View Post
Oh well, good for them.
They delivered import address book for $550k last year, now its 2 mil to help them cover San-Francisco relocation.

Ps. It's interesting to see how distancing themselves from VC helped with Indiegogo campaign, but obviously protecting people privacy not their only priority anymore
I've been a user since pre-beta and although they have released a solid service, I'm left underwhelmed when it is compared to other similar services who have managed to deliver more features with less resources.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Mar 2015, 09:33 PM   #89
pjwalsh
Essential Contributor

TechCrunch article on ProtonMail:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/20/protonmail-seed/

I was interested to learn that ProtonMail uses the OpenPGP.js cryptographic library (as does RoundCube and Mailvelope). This will provide for OpenPGP interoperability with other clients.

Quote:
"We use (and actively contribute to) the OpenPGP.js library which is open source, has been extensively audited, and has a large community of developers. This means our encryption is also fully compliant with the OpenPGP standard.

“When it comes to security software, being standards compliant is very important, for example, our users can decrypt ProtonMail messages using third party OpenPGP tools if they don’t want to trust our code."
Quote:
Another difference he flags up is the way ProtonMail hosts its data. It’s not cloud hosted, but rather runs its own infrastructure out of two Switzerland-based datacenters.

“We control the server hardware and the network. We’re able to do this due to our team’s extensive large scale compute experience from building large hadron collider infrastructure at CERN,” adds Yen.

“As we saw from the NSA leaks, a lot of illicit interception happens at the network level so having control over the network is important,” he continues. “Our Swiss domicile helps with this as it places our infrastructure under very strict Swiss data protection laws which means all data requests must go through the court system and there is an obligation to notify the target of surveillance.”
Also of interest from the article, there is new legislation under consideration which could be a compromise of that Swiss data inviolability.

Quote:
It’s not the only pro-privacy company choosing to settle in Switzerland, either. SGP Technologies, the company behind the Android hardened Blackphone smartphone — which is now wholly owned by secure comms provider Silent Circle — has made its HQ in Switzerland too, also citing the favorable legal regime.

That said, just this week politicians in the Swiss National Council, its lower house, voted to expand the data capture powers of its own intelligence services (the NDB). The Senate, its second chamber, has yet to vote. Among other powers, the new law would allow the NDB to tap phones, computers and networks — sub-optimal if you’re a startup trying to sell your pro-privacy services.
Old 24 Mar 2015, 03:10 AM   #90
jl66
Essential Contributor

Very interesting patrizio and pjwalsh
jl66 is offline   Reply With Quote