EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 9 Aug 2003, 11:11 PM   #1
palmsports

Outlook not working again

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know why you can't send email from Outlook? If I remember correctly, this happened last week. I didn't see any references to the problem.

I am trying to be patient and I do realize that so far, sending email from the fastmail web interface still works. But I am very dependent on Outlook and when it is down, that hurts me greatly.

If I have overlooked something, please accept my apologies. Anyway, I would appreciate an update as to what is causing this problem.

Vivian
palmsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Aug 2003, 11:43 PM   #2
michaelj

Re: Outlook not working again

Vivian,
Please state which version of Outlook you're using, as Microsoft changed the program with each release. I'm familiar with Outlook 98, 2000, and I'm currently using Outlook XP, which is drastically different from its predecessors. They've added some improvements and broke existing features in the process.

Also, please state what error messages or problems you're seeing when you attempt to send mail.

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by palmsports
Hi Folks,

Does anyone know why you can't send email from Outlook? If I remember correctly, this happened last week. I didn't see any references to the problem.

I am trying to be patient and I do realize that so far, sending email from the fastmail web interface still works. But I am very dependent on Outlook and when it is down, that hurts me greatly.

If I have overlooked something, please accept my apologies. Anyway, I would appreciate an update as to what is causing this problem.

Vivian
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2003, 06:16 AM   #3
palmsports

Re: Re: Outlook not working again

QUOTE]Originally posted by michaelj
Vivian,
Please state which version of Outlook you're using, as Microsoft changed the program with each release. I'm familiar with Outlook 98, 2000, and I'm currently using Outlook XP, which is drastically different from its predecessors. They've added some improvements and broke existing features in the process.

Also, please state what error messages or problems you're seeing when you attempt to send mail.

Michael
[/quote]

Hi Michael,

My profuse apologies for not responding right away. What happens is it seems after I posted, it started working and then I forget to respond. So I am hoping lightning will strike twice since it isn't working again.

Sorry, I am using Outlook 2000. Unfortunately, I can't cut and paste the error message. But the first sentence said that a TCP/IP error occurred while connecting to the server. I was trying to send a message.

I mostly have never had any problems but it just seems recently, they have occurred more freqently. Not to state that as one of blame but I am just curious as to why the error message would be relevant in light of that situation. I know you are trying to be helpful and I appreciate that. Perhaps I am missing something.

Vivian
palmsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2003, 11:25 AM   #4
michaelj

Re: Re: Re: Outlook not working again

Quote:
Originally posted by palmsports
[b]QUOTE]Originally posted by michaelj
Sorry, I am using Outlook 2000. Unfortunately, I can't cut and paste the error message. But the first sentence said that a TCP/IP error occurred while connecting to the server. I was trying to send a message.

I mostly have never had any problems but it just seems recently, they have occurred more freqently. Not to state that as one of blame but I am just curious as to why the error message would be relevant in light of that situation. I know you are trying to be helpful and I appreciate that. Perhaps I am missing something.

Vivian
Considering you're saying that it worked before, stopped, and now it's working again tells me to start with Outlook 2000 just 'does that' sometimes, even if you didn't go into any of the settings and change anything. However, that doesn't help you.
I'm assuming that this problem is happening only with Fastmail.fm, so is it IMAP or POP that you're using? Do you have any other POP accounts working through Outlook, and are you having problems with those accounts?
You'll need to go into your e mail settings and look at how you have Fastmail configured; eg: POP Server Name, SMTP Server Name, not your UserID or Password though.

From the FAQ:
username - When you signed up for FastMail.FM, you chose a username which is also your e-mail address. You must use the full username, including the name and the domain part, which is the part after the '@' symbol. For example, a user named John Doe might have chosen a username of "johndoe@fastmail.fm". Make sure that you specify your username in lowercase only.

The rest of the FAQ is here:
http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/outlook.htm
It tells you what belongs in your server settings as well as some facts about Outlook 2000. Although the FAQ suggestings using POP rather than IMAP I had few problems with Outlook 2000. I actually have more problems with Outlook XP than I did before.

Michael
michaelj is offline   Reply With Quote