EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jul 2016, 06:12 AM   #1
bblackmoor

Leaving Fastmail, and looking for suggestions

The Fastmail staff is gradually shutting down the "classic" interface: at this time, almost half of the links on the Settings screen say "[function] can no longer be configured via the Classic interface. Please log in to the regular interface to configure [function]."

Contacting Fastmail support results in reassurances that if I try the dysfunctional "new" interface that I will love it. I told them I tried it, and gave them a half-dozen reasons I do not love it.

So I intend to leave Fastmail, after nine years years as a loyal customer, if I can find a suitable alternative.

What are my options? I am willing to set up my own server, if necessary. I have several servers I own and administer for other purposes. I would just rather not have to administer my own personal mail server, if I can avoid it (and I am willing to pay to avoid it, if possible).

Old 18 Jul 2016, 06:18 AM   #2
bblackmoor

Are PolarisMail, RunBox, and Zimbra the only alternatives? (I hate Gmail's interface even more than the "new" fastmail interface.)
Old 18 Jul 2016, 12:31 PM   #3
bblackmoor

I am currently leaning toward Runbox. I think it will save me some money, too, as I currently have a number of accounts on Fastmail.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 04:12 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
I am currently leaning toward Runbox. I think it will save me some money, too, as I currently have a number of accounts on Fastmail.
And it has a classic interface style.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 04:13 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

+1 for Runbox
I am abandoning Fastmail for the same reason as the OP.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 06:35 PM   #6
edu

I hope the mobile version (m.fastmail.com) will continue and also being possible to be used without javascript or I will abandon too.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 08:05 PM   #7
edu

You could get an email account with riseup.net if you don't mind and are accepted. They use roundcube and squirrelmail.
Old 18 Jul 2016, 11:58 PM   #8
David
Ultimate Contributor

When my Fastmail account expires (I did renew it again) I will move back to either Runbox or (possibly) Posteo. I have not decided as yet.

Last edited by David : 19 Jul 2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 02:57 AM   #9
bblackmoor

I have purchased new account with Runbox and am in the process of migrating things over.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 03:02 AM   #10
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Hello, bblackmoor.

Have you tried accessing Fastmail with a good IMAP client?

If you haven't, perhaps you should and you may actually find it satisfactory.

--
Jacinto
Old 19 Jul 2016, 03:27 AM   #11
bblackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
Have you tried accessing Fastmail with a good IMAP client?

If you haven't, perhaps you should and you may actually find it satisfactory.
I use an IMAP client on my phone.

What IMAP client I use, when I choose to use one, has nothing to do with why I am leaving Fastmail.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 03:54 AM   #12
edu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblackmoor View Post
I use an IMAP client on my phone.

What IMAP client I use, when I choose to use one, has nothing to do with why I am leaving Fastmail.
I think Jacinto was thinking in what you say about the classic interface, and IMAP clients don't use them.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 04:18 AM   #13
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu View Post
I think Jacinto was thinking in what you say about the classic interface, and IMAP clients don't use them.
Thank you, edu.

Yes I was.

The OP prefaced his original post with:

Quote:
The Fastmail staff is gradually shutting down the "classic" interface: at this time, almost half of the links on the Settings screen say "[function] can no longer be configured via the Classic interface. Please log in to the regular interface to configure [function]."
A reasonable inference would be that he was extremely unhappy with the features removed from the classic interface (and with the new interface in general).

If that isn't his reason for leaving FM, then I have no inkling of what it was or is (and don't need to know).

--
Jacinto
Old 19 Jul 2016, 08:02 AM   #14
bblackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacinto View Post
A reasonable inference would be that he was extremely unhappy with the features removed from the classic interface (and with the new interface in general).

If that isn't his reason for leaving FM, then I have no inkling of what it was or is (and don't need to know).
As far as I am aware, no IMAP client will permit me to configure Fastmail's settings, which are, as I said in my original post, being disabled one by one in the "classic" (aka functional) interface. Am I mistaken? Is there an IMAP client which will allow me to edit Fastmail's spam settings, for example? Not my local settings -- Fastmail's settings.
Old 19 Jul 2016, 08:05 AM   #15
bblackmoor

Perhaps a visual aid would be of assistance.

https://www.blackgate.net/blog/wp-co...astmail_02.png
Closed Thread