EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Edwin
 Administrator 

FM "More storage space" / "more bandwidth" discussions

I am concerned that this Forum is losing its focus under the onslaught of "FM should increase the storage space it offers" or "the bandwidth it offers" posts.

That point has been made LOUD AND CLEAR about 100 times now. Rehashing it 101+ times will not change the situation. Really, it won't.

Numerous posters have made it extremely clear that they want/need/expect more storage space in the face of recent changes by Yahoo!/Hotmail, and moves by players such as Gmail, Runbox et al.

At the same time Jeremy has made it extremely clear that FM is not going to be rushed into making changes that the FM business model may not support.

Jeremy, Rob and the rest of the FM team are not "stupid" - it's clear they understand the arguments being made... they may not agree with them, but they certainly understand them. So we have the makings of a classic standoff, at least until Jeremy & the FM team ultimately either decide to make some changes or explicitly decide not to.

I am not taking FM's "side" in the debate, nor am I taking the "side" of those pushing for more storage. My worry is simply that the utility of this forum is basically being ground down by the endless repetition of the same viewpoints, and that there is a creeping rise in the shrillness of certain posts attacking the status quo.

Can I please ask everyone to reflect a little before adding more "me too" posts (and a cogent, long, well-written argument is still "me too" at this point if its viewpoint can be summarised as "we need more storage space") and give this Forum the breathing room it needs to get back on track?
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:21 PM   #2
blackbadger

I think these posts are being re-iterated again and again because:

1. Noone can agree and everyone has different needs
2. There has been little R&J comment (which is wise)
3. Everyone wants FM to be perfect and don't want to have to consider alternatives

I think people are generally more interested about the argument than they are the space itself.

Oh I bet Gmail are enjoyin tea n biccies
blackbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I would prefer improvement of their other features than storage space. FM don't have the smallest storage so increasing storage is not that essential.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2004, 11:08 PM   #4
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Yeah I can see that (what Edwin said)...

For example I kinda wanted to see FM's developing thoughts on the new mailbox screen recently. So I was worried about this too...
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 12:29 AM   #5
watchdis

Re: FM "More storage space" / "more bandwidth" discussions

i absolutely agree. it is getting seriously repetative on the forum in the last few weeks. do people really have that much more to say?

i think we should try and do what Edwin suggests and ease off on circular threads about bandwith or space.

might i suggest a chinese proverb:

He who knows patience knows peace
watchdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 12:37 AM   #6
watchdis

having a look at quotations about patience i couldn't resist this one by Marcus Tullius Cicero (106–43 B.C.), Roman orator, philosopher, statesman. :

How long, then, Catiline, while you abuse our patience? How long is this madness of yours to make sport of us?

it seemed to echo the sentiments of an increasing number of forum members
watchdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 04:05 PM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

I must admit that I've been reading the forum less, since there's a higher proportion of posts that aren't adding anything useful. This board is more useful when people are being constructive, so following Edwin's advice is likely to make it more productive (and enjoyable!) for all of us.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 04:24 PM   #8
FMRocks
The "e" in e-mail

Alright then, let's have a truce. Jeremy has already said they will do experiments and then finally decide how to rearrange this thing, so let's shelve it for now.
FMRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 09:01 PM   #9
injinuity
Cornerstone of the Community

But isnt that the whol point of an FM GENERAL forum, where all these people come in post about their needs their viewpoints no matter how silly it is... if these posts are made and it stretches into 7-10 threads again and again then its an indiacator that most of the members on this forum dont mind rediscussing it again and again.... as for the utility of the forums as an old timer of these forums I can say that it makes no diff.... I see another 10 thread long page on the topic.. I choose not to click on it... I go through the rest of the posts.. so let be.

Jinu Johnson
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 09:27 PM   #10
injinuity

Quote:
Originally posted by watchdis
having a look at quotations about patience i couldn't resist this one by Marcus Tullius Cicero (106?43 B.C.), Roman orator, philosopher, statesman. :

How long, then, Catiline, while you abuse our patience? How long is this madness of yours to make sport of us?

it seemed to echo the sentiments of an increasing number of forum members
P.S: I'm a scorpio and this is how we pray ..

"Jesus please give me somemore patience; and I want it now"

Jinu Johnson
Old 2 Jul 2004, 10:08 PM   #11
ReuvenNY

My good pal injinuity, let's stay on topic and off religion. Good to hear from you again!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Jul 2004, 11:59 PM   #12
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Glad to hear from Jeremy on several recent threads. And don't worry, I expect we'll all still be here in the forum even after things die down a bit

Now as for Rob, Rob, Rob... (Canadian Rob, that is)
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jul 2004, 12:03 AM   #13
injinuity

Quote:
Originally posted by ReuvenNY
My good pal injinuity, let's stay on topic and off religion. Good to hear from you again!
Sorry , couldn't resist

Jinu Johnson
Old 3 Jul 2004, 01:58 PM   #14
Shelded

If long threads don't bother you, at least give a thought to two other small groups of people who are "somewhat" obligated to read much of what is written here: the FM guys and the moderators. I, too, would really like to be spending some time chatting about the new screens with the other users but these discussions and Gmail discussions have been quite something.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Jul 2004, 12:47 AM   #15
beeboy

Fastmail shows good business sense waiting for the smoke to clear. As I said before, Fastmail is an innovative company that will remain competitive and one step ahead of the competition. I'm pleased to see how they are handling the situation. I feel more secure and trusting now, more than ever with Fastmail.
beeboy is offline   Reply With Quote