EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 Jan 2005, 04:20 AM   #31
Daniel S

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
-p.s. does anyone have a link handy to the caps and wear apparel with FM logos?
FastMail.FM t-shirts, caps, etc
Old 28 Jan 2005, 05:49 AM   #32
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks Daniel S, your help is always appreciated!

Prognathous,
Your highlights of FM's services is quite good!

One other reason that makes email clients handy is not only when you're on dial-up, but especially when you have to share the same phone line!

Also, you can simultaneously view multiple POP or IMAP accounts or Newsfeeds (online/offline).
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2005, 11:36 AM   #33
severach
Essential Contributor

"something missing" is well said. What seems to be missing is the impetus for an email client author to look at other email clients to see what they might be doing that should be emulated. It's as if they all live under a rock and think that they are going to wow the world all on their own. Even though Fastmail develops at a snail's pace, they are beating all the clients quite handily. Whether this says that FM is great stuff or the clients are terrible is unclear.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...threadid=28786
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2005, 12:21 AM   #34
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by kander
I'm not sure why you use the word 'even' in that message, gdgrph Were you expecting JH to prefer a client over his own product?

--K
The reason is because there are so many email savvy pro's in the fora that prefer a local client for their own use because of many different reasons. I would consider JH to be in that classification (of email savvy pro's ), and he has as much right as anyone else to use the local software in conjunction with his service...but he actually prefers the web interface. I just think that is saying something...though it may seem obvious to others. The man who creates great burgers on his grill in the back yard may still prefer one he gets at a superb restaurant across town.
gdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2005, 12:44 AM   #35
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by gdgrph
The man who creates great burgers on his grill in the back yard may still prefer one he gets at a superb restaurant across town.
There are many savvy users (JH probably being one of them) who already consider Fastmail's web-interface to be this "superb restaurant". It offers a combination of features that can't be found on any mail client.

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2005, 01:07 AM   #36
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by Prognathous
There are many savvy users (JH probably being one of them) who already consider Fastmail's web-interface to be this "superb restaurant". It offers a combination of features that can't be found on any mail client.

Prog.
Exactly. Jeremy is not one of those I described.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 11:42 AM   #37
severach
Essential Contributor

I'm not the only one who rates the current crop of email clients as pretty bad. It seems his list of requirements are almost the same as mine and almost in the same order.

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/66.htm#60secs3
severach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2005, 02:34 PM   #38
gdg

It would be nice if FM's web interface could be made the default email program for your computer...similar to the way Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Juno, etc, are able to do...without using FastCheck...without having to set a particular account as the default (for those with more than one person using FM).

You know, just go to Internet Options, and select FastMail from the dropdown list of Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, ...
Old 1 Feb 2005, 04:41 PM   #39
watchdis

doesn't fastcheck do something similar to what you are describing? set it as the default handler for all mail:to links?
watchdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2005, 06:41 PM   #40
Prognathous
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by gdgrph
It would be nice if FM's web interface could be made the default email program for your computer...similar to the way Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, Juno, etc, are able to do...without using FastCheck...without having to set a particular account as the default (for those with more than one person using FM).

You know, just go to Internet Options, and select FastMail from the dropdown list of Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, ...
Watchdis, I think it's obvious that Gdgrph is well aware of Fastcheck. What he's asking for is a way to set Fastmail as the default mail handler *without* Fastcheck.

Prog.
Prognathous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2005, 03:03 AM   #41
gdg

Quote:
Originally posted by watchdis
doesn't fastcheck do something similar to what you are describing? set it as the default handler for all mail:to links?
I get the impression from brief usage of it that FC is very account specific. I do not want something that is account specific.

When I launch Thunderbird, it at least has profiles, so I can pick mine, or my wife can pick hers. She actually has a computer she should be using, but when she's on mine (which she uses because it is a desktop and outperforms her laptop she coveted so much - I'll never do that again), she gets lazy about hitting the mailto links, and if my computer is only set up for my email, she'll use my email rather than her own. It irritates me.

I don't like using computer profiles in Windows XP, because in my opinion, it is a time and resource waster (and my wife would be too lazy to switch to her profile most of the time).

If I was to set Yahoo Mail as my default mail handler, it is not account specific, so if we used Yahoo Mail even, if either of us clicked on a mailto: link, you have to sign in, so no matter how many people we had using it, everyone would be able to efficiently use their own email account, and the compose page with the email address being mailed to already filled in is there once signed in.

We've even used Outlook Express a long time ago, and used the profiles available in that, but there can be problems in the way the address book is handled with multiple profiles in OE.

It appears Thunderbird is the best option at this point, since it is the quickest and most trouble free option.

I only wish FM would work the way Yahoo Mail does in this one respect ... it would solve this particular issue.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:55 PM   #42
werewolf
Essential Contributor

I am really tired of email programs and have resorted to using my fastmail account for everything.

I've never bothered with email programs. I used yahoo, myway, and a couple of others, and now fastmail. I don't even know why I would need an email program. What benefits do they confer? Maybe people who receive hundreds or thousands of emails need them...
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:32 AM   #43
weaver4
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenman
You beat me to it, badkarma! I was going to say 'Mulberry', too.

Apart from the wonderfully vertical learning curve , the only complaint I heard was about it not handling 'foreign' character sets. I'm not sure whether that's been developed in later versions.
I know this forum has a huge following for mulberry. But last time I tried it it would not render HTML emails. About 40% of my emails are in HTML. Has this feature been added? Or do you guys use emacs for an editor?
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:37 AM   #44
weaver4
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by gdg
Color-coded labels and threading...

Sounds like Gmail.

I just wish GMail had:
1) IMAP interface
2) HTML Editor

Fusemail is getting close.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:43 AM   #45
David
Ultimate Contributor

Re: Down on email software

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiloVance

Anyone else disgusted with the email software available today?
Not me; I use Mailsmith.

Mailsmith has hundreds of features that the Fastmail webmail interface lacks.

http://tinyurl.com/5smo6
David is offline   Reply With Quote