EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 28 May 2006, 09:26 PM   #16
watchdis

how about both.....

:-)

well, it would be nice to have the option of both.

however, in full understanding that this is no doubt a nightmare for our fastmail friends, i reckon the sms's coming back to your phone is the most useful. with some kinda confirmation process it also avoids that bullying problem noted by woodyuk
watchdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 02:22 PM   #17
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I thought back to phone would be the most common. The biggest problem being that US & Canada users are left out in the cold, you just can't make that work for them

I think the main things we'll probably do in the short term then are:
1. Settle on a stable provider that supports setting the originator (currently mblox is looking the best)
2. Have a separate SMS screen, which includes access to mobile numbers from the address book + a character count (including > 160 chars being broken into multiple SMSs) + an option to use the "squeeze" functionality
3. Note on the SMS screen and in the docs that SMS's to the US/Canada all have the same originator code, so you'll have to indentify yourself some other way in the SMS message itself

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 06:55 PM   #18
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

sounds good....love the idea of the 160 char count this would help me a lot.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2006, 07:01 PM   #19
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Excellent. Looks as if you've got the best possible fit there, Rob.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2006, 01:03 AM   #20
thomas44

Quote:
1. Settle on a stable provider that supports setting the originator (currently mblox is looking the best)
2. Have a separate SMS screen, which includes access to mobile numbers from the address book + a character count (including > 160 chars being broken into multiple SMSs) + an option to use the "squeeze" functionality
What will the Squeeze-functionality do?

I just tested the fastmail-SMS-feature with my cellphone for the first time. I also wrongly thought it would cost too much, in fact it's cheaper than using my local provider (sunrise).

I will use this SMS-feature much more often, when available as described
thomas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jun 2006, 06:05 AM   #21
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Re: how I use SMS

Quote:
Originally posted by octothorpe
... I do get bounces periodically (from Verizon's spam filters, i guess), and for some reason they go back to the original sender, who didn't e-mail me @vtext.com and is now rather puzzled at my seemingly byzantine system of e-mail addresses. If there's a way to fix that bounce so it comes back to me only, I'd love to know it.
This is a common problem with forwarding email (i.e., redirecting the message "as is"). You forward email from one account to another of your accounts, but if the forwarding fails the original sender gets the error message. It's not a problem specific to FastMail. Many people forward their ISP mail to Gmail, and then when Gmail refuses executable attachments on email sent by viruses the forged address on the virus message gets the bounce message from the ISP.

To solve this there needs to be a way to resend the email from the forwarding service in a way that errors are directed to an address belonging to the user that set the forwarding (diferent envelope-from? something like "resent-sender" header?)

Edit: this is quite off topic and is currently being discuse here.

Last edited by hadaso : 1 Jun 2006 at 07:33 AM.
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:57 AM   #22
Fenman
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by robmueller
I thought back to phone would be the most common. The biggest problem being that US & Canada users are left out in the cold, you just can't make that work for them

I think the main things we'll probably do in the short term then are:
3. Note on the SMS screen and in the docs that SMS's to the US/Canada all have the same originator code, so you'll have to indentify yourself some other way in the SMS message itself

Rob
Just wondered whether there is any news on this one.
Fenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Aug 2006, 12:44 PM   #23
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
No news really sorry. Got distracted by getting all the replication stuff setup, reliability became the priority. That and the fact Mblox never got back to me with answers to some of my questions even though I pestered them like 3 times... *sigh*

Will get back on to it once all the replication setup is done, so looking forward to that!

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote