EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 24 Jan 2018, 06:19 AM   #1
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

A sign that you’re not keeping up – the trouble with Hotmail in 2018

Car insurers have been accused of discriminating against people with Hotmail accounts. But how did the once-popular address end up with a bad rep?

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...P=share_btn_tw
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Jan 2018, 07:06 AM   #2
TenFour
Master of the @

Interesting article. I must say that here in the USA most people who had Hotmail addresses have moved on to Outlook.com ones instead, and those seem to be acceptable. The ones that I think date you the most here are aol.com addresses. On the other hand, Gmail ones are perfectly acceptable and you will see CEOs using them as their personal addresses. Not so sure that your.name@your.name is all that good for many people since you are bound to introduce spelling issues, meaning that it may impress but you might find you aren't getting the messages you should be. I had to type one in the other day and I thought to myself, "I bet only 50% of this guy's email gets to him."
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2018, 04:19 PM   #3
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Not so sure that your.name@your.name is all that good for many people since you are bound to introduce spelling issues
The same goes for almost anything you use to the left of the @ sign [local-part, for jargon fans], whether it's @gmail or @outlook or @yourname.

Particularly now, where all plain john@.... or smith@.... or maryjomes@.... names have already been taken. Is my second cousin's address harry5@... or harry05@... ?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2018, 11:14 AM   #4
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Odd, I never heard before that Hotmail would be less secure than the average provider.

My one negative thought about the service is the somewhat weird domain name, but that's easily solved by opting for live.com or outlook.com instead.

Oh yes, the webmail interface of Outlook/Live/Hotmail doesn't display the date of the last sign-in through webmail?
If that is the case, then that's another thing that could be improved.
(if there is a way to check the date of last sign-in through webmail, then I must have missed it somehow and would like to know where to find it)

Overall, I am very positive of this service, even though I'd probably opt for Live.com or Outlook.com if I were to open an additional account. But I like the interface of the webmail, and just like Gmail it's one of those services that probably will survive as long as the internet exists in its current shape.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2018, 03:43 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

My oldest active email account is a @hotmail.com and I have never had an issue with it. That said, it's not my most active account, but I do checking on a daily basis. I have have two other accounts, one with @hotmail, the other with @live also no issues.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2018, 06:52 AM   #6
TenFour
Master of the @

It is not technical issues that the OP is referring to, but the impression you give if you utilize an address, like hotmail, that shows you are an old fart. Many people are very judgmental about people based on their age, and therefore many people are very sensitive to doing anything that makes them look old. I can testify firsthand that ageism is everywhere, and it is the one workplace status that nobody bothers to hide their disdain for. Being rather older myself I have been in meetings where senior leadership made jokes about my age in front of other staff, and everyone laughed along at something they wouldn't dare do if it were about race, color, or religion. Don't get old!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2018, 07:00 AM   #7
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
Don't get old!
Tried for a very long time, and failed miserably : :
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2018, 11:06 AM   #8
webecedarian
Essential Contributor

Thanks, Fred, I was just about to post this! I love The Guardian. Wonder about AOL accounts.

They also charge you more if you happen to be named Mohammed.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/u...in-first-name/
webecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2018, 02:19 PM   #9
EricG
Essential Contributor

If this is your sig then you're an old timer:

Tim Lynch (Cornell's first Astronomy Major)
BITNET: H52Y@CRNLVAX5
INTERNET: H52Y@VAX5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
UUCP: ...!rochester!cornell!vax5.cit.cornell.edu!h52y
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote