EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 Dec 2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Smile Changes to web interface

We're always quick to criticise when Fastmail makes changes we don't like, so it's only fair we should congratulate them when they get it right.
The changes that they brought in this morning are very welcome.
I note several improvements that we have been asking for here are now implemented, including a 'View as HTML' option for viewing individual messages, and the facility to edit websites from the mobile interface.
The whole thing now seems much more coherent and logical.
Well done, and thank you!
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 Dec 2018, 03:39 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
The changes that they brought in this morning are very welcome.
The changes must be under the hood, because the web interface doesn't look any different.

And no mention today of changes on the @FastMail Twitter account, which I would have expected.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Perhaps they are on the Beta server
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Very mysterious...
I've not knowingly chosen anything 'beta'.
Maybe not all users have been upgraded yet?
To give you a flavour, I've uploaded some screen-shots to http://grhm.mm.st/emd
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:23 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The thread title refers to the web interface (using a browser) and the screenshots posted were from a small mobile device browser. Note that there are several ways to access your Fastmail account (ignoring a conventional IMAP email client). I list these separately because the display on each of these is usually a bit different:
  1. Web browser on a PC
  2. Web browser on a large mobile device (such as an iPad)
  3. Web browser on a small mobile device (such as an iPhone)
  4. Fastmail app (free from the app store) on a large mobile device (such as an iPad)
  5. Fastmail app (free from the app store) on a small mobile device (such as an iPhone)
Here is what I believe is happening:
  • In mid-October 2018, Fastmail invited a limited number of mobile app users to participate in a beta version of the new JMAP interface. Note that this was initially a change to the backend and did not require a change to the mobile app or a special beta URL. It was a change to the settings at the server for certain invited beta testers only.
  • See a description of the JMAP user interface changes here:
    https://www.fastmail.com/help/guides...date-2018.html
  • A number of bugs were introduced and fixed in the 6 weeks after this beta release.
  • About a week ago (during the first week of December, I think) the beta phase ended and for beta testers the mobile app went back (temporarily) to the old interface. I was told that Fastmail plans to make a new version of the mobile app, and when you then update at the app store your mobile app will be using the new JMAP features.
  • On mobile devices using a web browser (#2 and #3 in my list above), users are being switched to the new JMAP user interface. I think this is being done as a phased release. I have seen the JMAP user interface for at least a week on my mobile devices when using a web browser. But others may not yet see the change.
  • On all other devices (#1, #4, and #5) I currently see the pre-JMAP interface with a few changes.
  • The rollout of the new JMAP user interface is being phased in across groups of users in steps. So we may see different displays for a while until everyone has been updated and the new app store Fastmail app is released.
  • I also like the new interface!
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2018, 12:40 PM   #6
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Very mysterious...
I've not knowingly chosen anything 'beta'.
Maybe not all users have been upgraded yet?
To give you a flavour, I've uploaded some screen-shots to http://grhm.mm.st/emd

Thank you, they look nice.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:03 PM   #7
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Using Firefox on a laptop under W8.1... I've now got a "View as HTML" in the "More" menu on individual messages. Once one is in HTML mode that menu entry changes to "View as Text".

Hooray! I've wanted that for ages.
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:19 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The thread title refers to the web interface (using a browser) and the screenshots posted were from a small mobile device browser.
That may explain it.

I don't use the FastMail app as, from a security aspect, I don't want "access all areas" to my account on my 'phone.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:49 PM   #9
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
I don't use the FastMail app
Neither do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
The rollout of the new JMAP user interface is being phased in across groups of users in steps.
... that's the explanation.

Last edited by Grhm : 14 Dec 2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 15 Dec 2018, 04:08 PM   #10
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

I did notice the new web UI myself a day or 2 ago, on both my desktop browser and mobile browser (I don't use the mobile app).

The main change I see on the mobile is they moved the item selection options -- like Mark Spam, Move to Folder -- out from a hidden tap, to a visible floating footer bar. Personally, either is fine for me.

But...

Bug 1: Formerly, attached calendar invites and all contained details would appear within the body of the email. Not so now. I just see an attachment "winmail.dat" (calendar invite sent from someone with MS Outlook I presume).

Bug 2: I'm one of those weird users that Control-clicks select messages to read in new browser tabs, a handful at a time. Problem: After opening and reading these message, they are no longer marked as Read on the main message list page (they used to be), even if I refresh/reload the mailbox or browser page. I have to then re-open each message in the main list again, just to de-bold it as Read. (Tedious and frustrating.)

Bug 3: I have my spam delivered to my inbox, with {SPAM xx.xx ###} pre-pended to the subject line. If it's NOT spam, I take 2 steps: Move to Spam + click Not Spam, and the message then gets moved back to Inbox and the pre-pended "SPAM..." tag is properly removed. Now, it's not removed when the message moves back.

I hope FM staff sees this post and considers implementing bugfixes.
DumbGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Dec 2018, 04:42 PM   #11
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

FM staff rarely, if ever, visit this forum now. Although a bit of a hassle, I suggest you raise a support ticket.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2018, 03:45 AM   #12
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, BritTim. Opening a ticket is on my to-do list now for next week-ish.

Bug 4: Sometimes I receive an email where the text doesn't wrap, and I need to scroll right, and back-and-forth, to slowly read the paragraphs. This is the fault of the sender, of course, and their HTML email layout design. Problem: on my mobile now, in the new web UI, I can't scroll right. If I try hard, I sorta/kinda can, but only temporarily and with much effort and not too far, as the page constantly snaps back to the left edge. Frustrating. I effectively can't read those emails on my mobile device. (I use Firefox 63 on my Android phone. FF on desktop works fine.)

BTW, can anybody else here reproduce my above bug reports?
Old 16 Dec 2018, 03:56 AM   #13
ellentk
Essential Contributor

Another possible bug:

The web interface (not the app) when viewed on ios doesn't display the hamburger, new rule, search box line at the top of the rule list. If it somewhere else, I can't find it.

Ellen
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2018, 05:25 AM   #14
slawrenceuk

Related to Dumbguy's bug 3:

Maybe a change rather than a bug, but the option to prepend the spam score to the subject line no longer appears on my "Spam Protection" screen. (Enhanced account, Chrome on Windows)
slawrenceuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2018, 04:19 PM   #15
DumbGuy
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawrenceuk View Post
Related to Dumbguy's bug 3:

Maybe a change rather than a bug, but the option to prepend the spam score to the subject line no longer appears on my "Spam Protection" screen. (Enhanced account, Chrome on Windows)

Strange. I'm still seeing the option. I seem to have an Enhanced account too (and Firefox 63 on Windows 7). I just took a screenshot, but not seeing an Insert Picture option here in the forum editor.