EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 4 Jun 2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Agx

It's secure use the name on a username?

Hi,

today I read an article about the security of the username used for email, and some people suggest that the use of the most common name.surname is a risk because expose to social enginering tactics to steal account and personal data.

All is possible because with an email like name.surname@ the attacker know the name and the surname of the target.

It's possible or is only a paranoid view of a journalist?

At the end of the article they suggest to use a nickname to prevent hack that use social enginering tactics.
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jun 2016, 03:22 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Nearly all individuals and companies use From addresses which include their names such as:
Wonder Woman <PrincessDiana@themyscira.org>
Customer Service <help@example.org>

So Diana could just use "PrincessDiana@themyscira.org" and her true identity would be hidden from those who only had access to that email address. But most people want those communicating with them to know the name of the person receiving the message. So you could use the email address glob7.3.4.2.3.9.2.7.2.5.3.0.4.2.hut@example.org and I doubt anyone would guess this address or appreciate using it.

In other words, I can imagine a theoretical advantage to using a random address but in practice I see few advantages. Would you want to have an extremely long and random postal mailing address?

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Zach

It depends what you use the email address for. Many people have at least two email addresses - one for business use and another for their social media, online shopping, communicating with friends & family etc. It would be unprofessional of you not to use your name in your business email, but OK otherwise.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote