EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:34 AM   #1
esuoz

How about an "Oh No!" button?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not already - it seems like a blindingly useful idea to me so i'm sure it has yet I can't seem to find any reference to it. Anyway it goes something like this...

You know how you only realise you made a mistake in an email you just sent once you've hit the send button? Well, how about a preference which allows your email to be put into a 'suspense' for a user defined time (e.g. 5 minutes) which would/could give you enough time to realise you mistake and correct it and yet make virtually no difference to the time-effectiveness nature of email. Then, once you've realised the error in your sent email, you hit the "Oh No!" button and retrieve it.

Any thoughts?

Damian
esuoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:43 PM   #2
fmfan
Master of the @

~ Scheduled send ?

Also 'Reminders' email.

Been suggested and requested.

Sounds like good idea to me.

Welcome to Forum esuoz
fmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 02:54 PM   #3

I definately like that idea! I have a habit of sending emails, then wanting to edit them. Also a preview button would be nice (I ususally check the emails in the sent folder, to make sure they look ok. Of course if they don't then its too late to change them anyway )

Dan
Old 3 Sep 2003, 03:49 PM   #4
Shelded

Thumbs down

I want mail to go when I send it ASAP.
Set the default to go fast.

We have the rest of the screen to practice Minesweeper on if clicking is still a challenge.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by shelded
I want mail to go when I send it ASAP.
Set the default to go fast.

We have the rest of the screen to practice Minesweeper on if clicking is still a challenge.
Of course I respect your opinion . In fact thats what a lot of people would say(send mail as soon as composed). However an option to send mail later would be nice. Just an idea anyway. Cheers mate,

Dan
Old 3 Sep 2003, 06:47 PM   #6
ewal
Master of the @

I use the "draft" function to delay sending emails. Yes I know it does not have a timer on it and I still need to manually send - but it does allow me to reflect, edit, add, delete and generally ponder prior to committing to cyberspace.

Ed
ewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:13 PM   #7
Drencrom
Master of the @

Re: How about an "Oh No!" button?

Quote:
Originally posted by esuoz
Hi,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not already - it seems like a blindingly useful idea to me so i'm sure it has yet I can't seem to find any reference to it. Anyway it goes something like this...

You know how you only realise you made a mistake in an email you just sent once you've hit the send button? Well, how about a preference which allows your email to be put into a 'suspense' for a user defined time (e.g. 5 minutes) which would/could give you enough time to realise you mistake and correct it and yet make virtually no difference to the time-effectiveness nature of email. Then, once you've realised the error in your sent email, you hit the "Oh No!" button and retrieve it.

Any thoughts?

Damian
Sorry to say that but I find this totally useless. I would not want J&R waste their time trying to implement this feature. If you are not sure about this particular message, save as a draft, that's it!
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:16 PM   #8
kander
The "e" in e-mail

I agree with Drencrom on this one. Might be nice to have in the very, very, very long run, but since there are so many others things we're waiting for I'd rather see those first. This suggestion is sort-of rendered void by the Draft option, ok, it doesn't have a timer, but apart from that it serves the purpose...

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:21 PM   #9
Drencrom
Master of the @

Besides, any decent email client would solve this problem.
Drencrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:28 PM   #10
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally posted by Drencrom
Besides, any decent email client would solve this problem.
Well, not everyone likes clients. I would prefer web over any client, any day. I used Mulberry, OE, Becky and some others which I can't remember by name, but none of them offered me the ease-of-use of the webinterface.

--K
Old 3 Sep 2003, 11:00 PM   #11
bitequator
The "e" in e-mail

Or you can try to have Outlook (or Notes) send a recall request, which of course won't work for external correspondents, but good for a laugh (on their side)
bitequator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Sep 2003, 11:58 PM   #12
snsh
Cornerstone of the Community

i want an Onno button, too
snsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:02 AM   #13
kander
The "e" in e-mail

LOL! The Onno Button: Sends an automatic mail, SMS and pager message to Onno, informing him you did something stupid and want him to correct it ASAP.. :P

--K
Old 4 Sep 2003, 12:21 AM   #14
Onno

Hm, I'll have to vote against that particular innovation. Sorry, but I'd rather not get woken up in the middle of the night by someone who meant to hit the 'Bounce' button.

(on the other hand, I could link it to a Paypal account donation scheme... hmm...)
Onno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Sep 2003, 10:04 AM   #15
NumberSix

My$0.02

Quote:
Originally posted by Drencrom
If you are not sure about this particular message, save as a draft, that's it!
Let me say that I think this is a useful option to have. The Drafts folder is most assuredly not a replacement for this, because this presumes that you are aware of being unsure of what you want to write. The idea is that you pop off a quick email to someone without giving it a lot of thought, and then later realize something that you really ought to have said (and where it is socially/politically awkward to say it as though it were an afterthought). I do this all the time, and if the option were available, I would certainly use it -- set it to say 5 minute delay (overrideable on the Compose screen on a per-message basis of course )

That said, I agree with those who have said a) this should be a very low priority compared to lots of other more important stuff, and b) it should be set to zero delay by default.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote