EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 May 2020, 12:03 PM   #46
Jet Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
Disclaimer - I'm no expert in sieve - and probably shouldn't be suggesting such, but this is what I would try if I was playing with my own account (try it at your own risk):

Code:
if not header :matches "X-Spam-Known-Sender" "yes*" {
  discard;
  stop;
}
Repeat warning - try at your own risk.
Thank You... I notice in the edit custom sieve screen there is 3 spots where code can be entered, do you know what spot this code gets entered in?
Jet Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:19 PM   #47
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Given that you want to discard the mail, I would be inclined to try putting it in the first location, so that another Rule doesn't act first and retain the message somehow. This is fairly radical though.

Also, you might want to test the rule out by first sending the unwanted mail to a folder, before just setting the rule to reject the mail.
Eg

Make a folder "Test"
and try the sieve code:

Code:
  fileinto  "\\Test";
  stop;
}
If this behaves correctly, then you could replace the second line to discard the mail.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 01:35 PM   #48
Jet Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenweed View Post
Given that you want to discard the mail, I would be inclined to try putting it in the first location, so that another Rule doesn't act first and retain the message somehow. This is fairly radical though.

Also, you might want to test the rule out by first sending the unwanted mail to a folder, before just setting the rule to reject the mail.
Eg

Make a folder "Test"
and try the sieve code:

Code:
  fileinto  "\\Test";
  stop;
}
If this behaves correctly, then you could replace the second line to discard the mail.
I put in the sieve code you posted in the first spot then I requested a password reset from a website and it did not come through but when I added the email to my contacts i got the email. So the sieve code works for what I need, thanks again.
Old 16 May 2020, 03:40 PM   #49
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Since I started this thread, maybe I should post my alternative suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Pilot View Post
No option to revert to old rules settings
I have three Fastmail accounts. In all of them. when I'm in the new rules mode there is a link at the bottom of the Rules screen which returns to the old Rules system.
Quote:
You are using our new, upgraded rules system. Something not right? Return to the old rules
This works perfectly as described. But I like the new Rules system, so I recommend sticking with it.

I don't think it's a good idea to use custom sieve unless the normal rules won't work. In the new Rules system, you can create a rule which discards all messages from people not in your Contacts as follows:
  • Click Create Rule.
  • For condition 1, choose Sender is not a contact in the drop-down tool.
  • Click Continue.
  • You will see a list of all messages (in any label/folder other than Trash or Spam) which were sent by people not in your Contacts list. These are messages which will be discarded after the rules change, so this is a good time to verify that you don't see any desirable messages
  • Click Create Rule when you are sure that you are not discarding any good messages.
  • Choose Delete to trash. By default, Mark as read is automatically set.
  • You will see that Apply to... is set to delete new matching messages on arrival. You can also delete the matching conversations which your have already received from non-contacts. The number of existing matching conversions is shown to you.
  • Click Save. By default, the rule will be set up as Matches NOT fromin:contacts > Mark as read, Delete to trash
The above steps will file each received message which is not from a contact into Trash. You can then change the Labels/Folders Advanced preferences for Trash to Auto-purge messages after a desired number of days. This will give you a few days to check and make sure that you aren't discarding good messages. This is much safer than immediately discarding them, especially after you first set up the rule.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2020, 03:55 PM   #50
Jet Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
Since I started this thread, maybe I should post my alternative suggestions.

I have three Fastmail accounts. In all of them. when I'm in the new rules mode there is a link at the bottom of the Rules screen which returns to the old Rules system.

This works perfectly as described. But I like the new Rules system, so I recommend sticking with it.

I don't think it's a good idea to use custom sieve unless the normal rules won't work. In the new Rules system, you can create a rule which discards all messages from people not in your Contacts as follows:
  • Click Create Rule.
  • For condition 1, choose Sender is not a contact in the drop-down tool.
  • Click Continue.
  • You will see a list of all messages (in any label/folder other than Trash or Spam) which were sent by people not in your Contacts list. These are messages which will be discarded after the rules change, so this is a good time to verify that you don't see any desirable messages
  • Click Create Rule when you are sure that you are not discarding any good messages.
  • Choose Delete to trash. By default, Mark as read is automatically set.
  • You will see that Apply to... is set to delete new matching messages on arrival. You can also delete the matching conversations which your have already received from non-contacts. The number of existing matching conversions is shown to you.
  • Click Save. By default, the rule will be set up as Matches NOT fromin:contacts > Mark as read, Delete to trash
The above steps will file each received message which is not from a contact into Trash. You can then change the Labels/Folders Advanced preferences for Trash to Auto-purge messages after a desired number of days. This will give you a few days to check and make sure that you aren't discarding good messages. This is much safer than immediately discarding them, especially after you first set up the rule.

Bill
The revert to old rules does not apply to new accounts, old accounts upgraded to the new rules can be reverted but not new accounts (confirmed by fastmail support)

I understand the new rules, but for me I DO NOT want any email delivered to my account unless the from address is in my contacts. To be clearer this email is for cctv vision only and security alerts so it comes from one address so I won’t miss out on emails because its a security system backup address so I only need emails from one address. Hence I am using the discard sieve