EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 1 Feb 2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Mailshell changes!

I recieved this mail:
Quote:
For the last six years Mailshell has operated a consumer web mail service that includes email, spam filtering and disposable email addresses. Although it has a loyal user base, Mailshell has underwritten the service and invested to maintain it for more than six years.

In recent months this has become a greater burden. A small number of rogue users have abused and flooded our infrastructure, while others have used the service to manage their business email, in violation of our Terms of Service. This has caused both hardware and software failures that have unfairly affected other users; we sincerely apologize to everyone whose service has been interrupted.

This situation has forced us to make the difficult but necessary decision to discontinue the web-based email service for consumers. We will shut down this service 45 days from now, on or about February 28, 2007 to focus exclusively on our core business, OEM licenses of the Mailshell SDK.

For several years now, more than 95% of our revenues, and all of our profit, have come from our core OEM business. The superior return on investment from our core business and the mounting investment required to maintain the existing service, make this decision clear, albeit difficult.

After February 28, email sent to your Mailshell addresses will be returned to sender. You also will not be able to access your account, so we recommend forwarding any messages currently saved on the Mailshell website to an alternate email address. You may also want to notify your correspondents of your new email address.

We apologize for the inconvenience this will cause. We hope you have enjoyed your Mailshell account and thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

The Mailshell Team
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Feb 2007, 12:00 PM   #2
pyedka
Cornerstone of the Community

Got the mail too.

Any good replacement? e4ward.com was good, but they disabled the catch all for free account...
pyedka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Feb 2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally posted by pyedka
Got the mail too.

Any good replacement? e4ward.com was good, but they disabled the catch all for free account...
That is also the next best "free" thing I found. It does support my own domain but the bandwidth thing for recieve and send seems to be a put off....
Old 9 Feb 2007, 11:00 PM   #4
e4ward

Representative of:
E4ward.com
Quote:
Originally posted by Killer
That is also the next best "free" thing I found. It does support my own domain but the bandwidth thing for recieve and send seems to be a put off....
Fixed. We were counting bandwidth in actual terms (receive and send) since that is how we are charged. Going forward, the bandwith limits will represent how much mail can actually be sent. Also, effective immediately, we are doubling the bandwidth for both plans. Eg, the free account bandwidth is still 50MB but it now that means 50MB of mail can be sent, not 25.
e4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2007, 11:09 PM   #5
e4ward

Representative of:
E4ward.com
Quote:
Originally posted by pyedka
Got the mail too.

Thanks for considering E4ward. We can imagine what mailshell went through, disposable email services are a magnet for fraud activity. We hated having to disable the catch all feature in free accounts but it was constantly being abused.
e4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:53 PM   #6
pyedka
Cornerstone of the Community

But it's really inconvenient to create the alias before using the email address.
pyedka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2007, 01:35 PM   #7
Shelded

Having Mailshell stop is a blessing in disguise for me. It's my biggest source of spam since the header gives nothing I can hook my Spam Assassin teeth into. And their interface is a horribly confusing thing to navigate. So I suppose the pro service they offer is suitable for that market. But they were a very nice company to give what they did and give us notice. Lots better than what Visto did to us years ago, dropping with too little notice.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2007, 08:35 PM   #8
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
It seems, mailshell is very much alive and kicking as of now....