EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 16 Dec 2008, 01:41 AM   #1
pingme97
Essential Contributor

Question Will Old interface go away?

To be honest, I just love the old interface. While I do like new interface, its too clutteredfor my taste.

So when comes out of beta, will I still be able to use old interface may be through selecting style?
pingme97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16 Dec 2008, 02:17 AM   #2
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

From this discussion:
http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=54814

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromLine View Post
Given that speed may be a significant factor, I hope that there's an option to continue to use the old interface once the new interface is introduced.
I agree there should be an option to use the old interface when desirable, i.e., scanning messages quickly with next/prev and nex-prev/delete.

Google GMail has a option link to switch to the "Older Version".
FromLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2008, 03:02 AM   #3
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

A search will turn up multiple threads of this same discussion.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Dec 2008, 03:36 AM   #4
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
A search will turn up multiple threads of this same discussion.
Do you have a link of the most relevant thread on this matter, or any feedback by FM staff on where a decision on this may be leading?
Old 16 Dec 2008, 04:02 AM   #5
pingme97
Essential Contributor

That's the exact point? Could find a clear answer

Quote:
Do you have a link of the most relevant thread on this matter, or any feedback by FM staff on where a decision on this may be leading?
Old 16 Dec 2008, 04:40 AM   #6
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

The answer has always been the same -- they will support the old interface for a limited time (TBD) while the new interface is phased in.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?p=462074
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:48 PM   #7
pingme97
Essential Contributor

That's just tooooooo bad

Quote:
The answer has always been the same -- they will support the old interface for a limited time (TBD) while the new interface is phased in.

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?p=462074
Old 17 Dec 2008, 02:03 AM   #8
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Keep in mind that the quoted message was posted by Rob as the new interface was being released -- things are always subject to change.

Here is my theory... FM is a group of incredibly smart individuals. They could easily have anticipated the resistance to adapting the new interface, especially by forum users (who are certainly the most anal -- self included.) If FM told us the new interface wasn't going to replace anything -- that they always had intended on allowing the user to choose between old and new -- then we wouldn't be interested, and wouldn't be providing countless bug fixes, suggestions, etc.

I'm stopping short of calling it a conspiracy, but it's a rather ingenious way to get free help.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 04:06 AM   #9
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

I don't beleive it has to be one or the other.

The new iterface is wonderful on the iPhone / iPod Touch and greater functionability overall.

The old interface is wonderful for speed and efficiency on a traditional browser.

I just hope that when then new interface is implemented, there's an option to use the original version.

Even Google's Gmail has an "Older Version" link option.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Lnguyen
Essential Contributor

google probably has far more resources. But even still, it's "perpetual beta" and as they slowly add more and more features, they are pushing people further away from the old interface.

However, with that said, I do think they should keep the old interface, but not necessarily implement any new features. I'm not sure how complicated that would of course be.
Lnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 08:34 AM   #11
FromLine
The "e" in e-mail

It's really not a big deal to keep two interfaces running simultaneously; they're doing it now.

Just make the new interface www.fastmail.fm

and the old one something like www.fastmail.fm/oldversion

It does not not make any sense to remove it completely for those that wish to continue to use it from time to time.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 02:08 PM   #12
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Here is my theory... FM is a group of incredibly smart individuals.
Lets hope they are and dont drop the original interface!! (Which is much better)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 04:36 PM   #13
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
It's really not a big deal to keep two interfaces running simultaneously;
Think again. What if in the future they improve/change some feature that requires an extra field (say, for example, pop links now requires a field 'time out').
How is this supposed to work correctly in the old interface?
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 09:38 PM   #14
g4mby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamb0 View Post
Lets hope they are and dont drop the original interface!! (Which is much better)
The old interface is far superior at the moment and for many reasons I hope that it continues for as long as possible. But within a few months I'm sure it will be switched off.

For me the new interface is quite unusable at times. I have looked around for an alternative but cannot find one that fits in with the way I use Fastmail, report spam and also provides an easy migration regarding the export of mail and address book entries. So for now I'm going along with the changes that FastMail are introducing and reporting every bug that I come across on the Wiki. I've added two bugs this morning and I'm sure that I'll have added a few more once I've identified which bugs are present in which browsers.

Last edited by g4mby : 26 Dec 2008 at 09:48 PM.
g4mby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Dec 2008, 11:01 PM   #15
blevins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingme97 View Post
To be honest, I just love the old interface. While I do like new interface, its too clutteredfor my taste.

So when comes out of beta, will I still be able to use old interface may be through selecting style?
I really have no use for the new interface, but I like various things about Fastmail, so I will reluctantly use whatever they provide. However, if it becomes too much of a pain in the ***, I'll always have the option of taking my business elsewhere. That's how I see it.
blevins is offline   Reply With Quote