EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 13 Oct 2009, 05:02 PM   #16
chs

"I can pay monthly, quartely or annual"

me too.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2009, 04:55 AM   #17
aleinss

The service has been rock solid for me since 2005. They also grandfathered me under $28/year for 1GB of mail space which is nice.

John Capo seems to handle all the tech support there and is a straight to the point kind of guy. I've never had any rude interactions with him, but neither will he hold your hand and comfort you. My kind of place actually.
aleinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2009, 05:35 AM   #18
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleinss View Post
John Capo seems to handle all the tech support there and is a straight to the point kind of guy. I've never had any rude interactions with him, but neither will he hold your hand and comfort you. My kind of place actually.
John is not alone. He's assisted by Gina M Cupstid.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2009, 10:17 PM   #19
The Moog

Hi all!

One problem that I have just encountered on my 30-day Tuffmail trial is that the webmail front-page redirects through ``webmail.mxes.net'' for login.

This can be a problem in corporate environments that block known webmail DNS entries.

So even though I can load the webmail front page by pointing my domain's CNAME to webmail.tuffmail.net, I cannot actually login.

This may or may not be a problem for you, depending upon your requirements, but it does mean that I cannot access the otherwise excellent Tuffmail service from any of my clients' offices.
The Moog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2009, 10:54 PM   #20
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
This can be a problem in corporate environments that block known webmail DNS entries.

So even though I can load the webmail front page by pointing my domain's CNAME to webmail.tuffmail.net, I cannot actually login.

This may or may not be a problem for you, depending upon your requirements, but it does mean that I cannot access the otherwise excellent Tuffmail service from any of my clients' offices.
Please consider that this would not be a 'Con' for your Employer (who would likely consider this to be a plus) who is not wanting you to be accessing personal email during your working day
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2009, 11:08 PM   #21
The Moog

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Please consider that this would not be a 'Con' for your Employer (who would likely consider this to be a plus)
Quite true David! Many companies do consider webmail as a virus vector, which is understandable given the behaviour of some employees.

However it seems a shame that Tuffmail's architecture cannot support proxied webmail whereas many ``free'' and otherwise inferior services do, so I consider that a con.

For me it's a deal-breaker, sadly. Everything else was outstanding.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 03:22 AM   #22
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Does Tuffmail (e.g. Jon) have an opinion about this?
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 06:34 AM   #23
qwertz123456
Essential Contributor

And that's where you gooooo FASTMAIL! E-Mail anywhere and everywhere
qwertz123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 10:38 AM   #24
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I was interested in taking Tuffmail for a trial but it seems hosting a domain is the only way to try it. Is this correct ? I don't want to set up a domain untill seeing if I like the service.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 07:54 PM   #25
The Moog

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertz123456 View Post
And that's where you gooooo FASTMAIL! E-Mail anywhere and everywhere
I'll certainly give them a try next, though I notice that hosting a domain is considered a premium option*. Whereas with Tuffmail, domain hosting is all that they do.

Tuffmail as an IMAP host, though, is *excellent*. Their reputation is borne-out by their performance and the extensive control offered by the administration pages.

The only con that I have identified other than noted above is the lack of a rolling payment plan; sometimes I am on location away from Web access for long periods and if the billing date coincides with that...

* I'll write a summary in a few week when I'm finished trialling the various providers!

Last edited by The Moog : 23 Oct 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: typo time
Old 23 Oct 2009, 09:20 PM   #26
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I was interested in taking Tuffmail for a trial but it seems hosting a domain is the only way to try it. Is this correct ? I don't want to set up a domain untill seeing if I like the service.
They used to let you use one of their subdomains but I think they discontinued that.

What you can do is setup a free hostname at dyndns.com and host that at Tuffmail. I used to do it to get extra disposable addresses.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2009, 12:20 AM   #27
The Moog

Quote:
Originally Posted by William9 View Post
Does Tuffmail (e.g. Jon) have an opinion about this?
I sent a e-mail to Tuffmail support and received a reply in minutes! They suggested that I point the CNAME to webmail.mxes.net

Sadly, though the login page is cloaked with my domain it still redirects upon login and is immediately blocked by proxy.

Still, that's what trial periods are designed to uncover!
Old 31 Oct 2009, 10:47 AM   #28
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I feel almost like an emai guru. I signed up for a trial tuffmail acct and made it through with no help. So far i'm having no problems.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2009, 12:04 PM   #29
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Using the default account set up works well.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2009, 12:08 PM   #30
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
I feel almost like an emai guru. I signed up for a trial tuffmail acct and made it through with no help. So far i'm having no problems.
You are an email guru sheprd - you have opened more email accounts than anyone I know
David is offline   Reply With Quote