EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: How many active email accounts are you using?
1 7 10.45%
2-3 18 26.87%
4-7 22 32.84%
more than 7 20 29.85%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:59 PM   #16
sarf

How many emails does the average person in UK/USA/ASIA/EUROPE etc send or receive per week
and how much is spam? Any web sites that provide figures on such things.
sarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2005, 12:53 PM   #17
schmoe
Essential Contributor

fastmail

Fastmail is my primary email provider. It handles most of my needs.

I also use e4ward and endjunk. These are forwarding services that forward mail back to my fastmail account. They are great to use for non trustworthy services like yahoo groups (or games or finance) that require a non disposable email address.

I occasionally use gmail for storing large, unimportant things. I could use fastmail account, it has the necessary storage, but want to avoid the clutter.
schmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Apr 2005, 05:47 AM   #18
mike_regan

Representative of:
ITZoom.com
The storage factor has another dimension to it as well....
Not trying to be morbid but imagine all your emails (over 50 years or so) are on a server somewhere and it comes to your time to move to the next ethereal world!. Half your life story is left for someone else to read/deal with - so think carefully what you put in print unless its for posterity!.

Providers will need to come up with an intelligent way of allowing users to deal with tens of thousands of messages, that or you're going to hit retirement, spend about a year sorting out what you want to keep, or end up deleting the whole lot in which case why did you keep it in the first place!.

Maybe my cynicism will reduce when we increase our storage!.
mike_regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2005, 01:13 AM   #19
MarkD

Interesting thread. I currently have accounts at 5 different E-mail services.

1) FASTMAIL (2001-present). My main e-mail account. I use it to centralise all of my personal (non-work) e-mail. Having used the net for 10 years now, I have gone through a few different addresses and a number of my older ones are still active but just forward to FM. I have an enhanced account, and so get to use my own domain with 2 gigs of storage plus all of the filtering/sieve tools and virus/spam filtering. I use FM for this because I have not come across any other e-mail service yet that is as powerful, flexible and customisable. Also because it's Fast. I mostly use the web interface.

2) RUNBOX (2001-present). Just before I discovered FM, I used Runbox. I have kept my account there and use it only to forward all of my e-mail from work. Our corporate network is too well hidden behind security, and so to access my messages with my phone (Sony Ericsson P910i), a copy of all messages are forwarded to my Runbox account. I am considering just using FM for this when my Runbox account next comes up for renewal.

3) YAHOO! (1997-present). I moved to the UK for a few years back in the mid-late 90's and I got a yahoo.co.uk address. I don't use e-mail at Yahoo at all any more. I use my Yahoo logon to access other Yahoo services though.

4) GMAIL (2004-present). Got an invite and signed up to check it out. It's ok for a freebie, but it's got a hell of a long way to go before it challenges my paid account at FM. Plenty of room though, not too sure what I'll do with this account.

5) BIGPOND (2000-present). This is my ISP. This e-mail address came with my cable internet account. I don't use it - the address forwards to my FM account.

Before these I have also briefly used 020.co.uk (no longer active), and before that I just used my isp's e-mail (went through about 5 before I got my current cable connection).

MarkD
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2005, 02:04 AM   #20
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Boy! Think i tried them all so far! At least the most popular.

1) Yahoo.com (1997-present). Have kept it but gradually leaving it for a Yahoo.ca address which offers POP access via Outlook etc. Also for the fact that i wasn't aware of spam issues at the time. Now two months with this new address without spam. True, haven't used it for email yet but sure is a good sign so far. I'm inclined to go back to Yahoo.ca as it has nice Calendar, Notes, .html composition and going up to 1G pretty soon!

2) Hotmail (1997-present) for the Messenger feature.

3) Fastmail.fm (1998-present) for speed and as form of protest at the time for Yahoo taking away POP access feature and reducing storage. Have three accounts for business and personal use.

4) Sympatico (1997-present) ISP for newsletters. No spam.

5) Bluebottle (2004-present) as a pastime.

6) Gmail (2005) as another hobby. Cool but think i prefer Yahoo! overall.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2005, 02:08 AM   #21
trew

I've had maybe 25 or 50 or 100 or so

all depends on if one should count having an account or if one really use it.

Out of necessity I try to get rid of as much of them as possible. But I have a weak mind.

1. My ISPs. Three of them Telia.com Spray.se (Lycos partner) and Glocalnet.net here in sweden. ADSL and Call via Modem 56Kb. I use them cause they allow me to create new names if the yget spammed. 5 accounts with 10 in Glocalnet and as many as one like in spray.se? telia only 5 with 5 meg in each

2. Yahoo.ca cause I get free 250 (1G soon) pop3 that way.
3. Gmail cause they maybe would try to get better in future. free pop3 and 1Gig. they also need to make it CellPhone compatible. Now my expensive Sony Ericsson P910I fails to pop3 but I could use webinterface as I remember.

I also try out some of those below but don't use them now as my regular email services.

4. mailarge
5. thinbrowser
6. BlueBottle
7. Notemail.de
8. Fastmail.fm Guest account

I hope BB get things going when the moving of email addresses is over in middle to late april so I will try it out in May to see if it are stable then. notemail I maybe drop. Trying to read German is not my bright side.
will thinbrowser get enough donations and revenues to survive? mailarge is a one person project so just me curious on what that will amount to. Fastmail me being a Guest is supposed to be just to get deciding anyway so to have it as my main would be too limited.

Maybe yahoo and Gmail will be my main providers if gmail get the CellPhone compatible thing going.

Trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2005, 08:38 AM   #22
bigredmusic

Quote:
I also try out some of those below but don't use them now as my regular email services.

4. mailarge
5. thinbrowser
6. BlueBottle
7. Notemail.de
8. Fastmail.fm Guest account

thinbrowser has apparently gone belly up....

email I received:

Quote:
Well, our investors have not come through. Therefore, without donations and/or revenue from ads...the site can not continue.
bigredmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Apr 2005, 04:41 PM   #23
trew

I try out Loftmail too

I try out Loftmail too but notemail.de seems to have gone. several days now without any trace of what is going on.

I most likely will join pumapost when they get active in third or last quarter of 2005.

trew
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Aug 2019, 12:02 PM   #24
Bamb0
Master of the @

I have 2 accounts..

1 on safe-mail.net and the other on hushmail.com (I use the hushmail one more)
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2019, 12:36 AM   #25
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Between 3 and 8, depending how to interpretate the question. I have some email accounts that I rarely use but still use for certain purposes, and a couple of accounts I check very often. So depends on the interpretation/frequency of "using".

PS: I deleted this message and then re-posted it in order to change my answer on the poll, but apparently this isn't possible and your initial answer either is gone or stands without the option to vote again. I miscounted when I first replied , forgot one account I rarely use but still own which made the total amount rise above 7.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2019, 02:18 AM   #26
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I don't know which is more pointless - reviving a 14 year old thread, or voting in a 14 year old poll.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2019, 03:19 AM   #27
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
It is sometimes nice to see such an old topic revived and look back on how things used to be. The times when 6 MB inboxes were considered a gem, long before Gmail set a new standard with inboxes of several GB. And to see names of long gone providers, I had already forgotten about BlueBottle being mentioned on this forum often until someone revived this topic
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote